What's new

Another newbie with HTIB ? (1 Viewer)

John Sib

Auditioning
I've been researching low budget packages and am leaning towards the Onkyo HT-S760. I have also been considering the Yamaha YHT 440 package (Best Buy is the only place I've found selling this particular package. Are there any others that could be recommended for me to consider?
I know that much better packages can be put together, but it seems to me that they would cost twice as much. I really only want this to have better (surround) sound with my new GWIII television. I really don't listen to music while sitting in my living room so I'm not willing to put a lot of money into it.
Just looking to get the most bang for my buck(about $500).
Thanks in advance for any help!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, John. Since you're asking for brand-specific recommendations for an HTiB, I've moved your post here (where HTiB recommendations are made). JB

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
If you shop judiciously, you could get separates for just a bit more than your budget. There are a lot of websites that advertise entry to mid-level A/V receivers for pretty good prices, both new and refurbished. Separate 5.1 speaker systems are available for reasonable prices too, as are powered entry level subwoofers. The Onkyo is a decent HTiB and is worth the money. My sister's husband bought an Onkyo HTiB, although I don't recall the model. It is nice, but the expansion is limited with only one auxiliary input. That is where most HTiBs fall short, expandability. I bought the following for my bedroom for well under $500.00. It is a good system.

Sherwood RD6108 AV receiver - $105.00 shipped
AudioSource 5.1 Speaker system w/100w Subwoofer - $125.00
Zenith DVD/VCR combo player - $169.00

The system works excellent with my Panasonic 27" TV in the bedroom. Shop around, you will be surprised at what you can find. If you must have a HTiB, you can't do much better than the Onkyo for the price.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
That Onkyo system is pretty hard to beat for the money. Check one out at Circuit City and find out if you like the sound.

gregD

Second Unit
The Onkyo is well-regarded among the HTIBs... I normally encourage friends to avoid HTIB in general just to get to better speakers, but if you're really serious about a $500 budget, Cambridge SoundWorks makes very decent speakers at entry-level price points, and offers systems built around them... here is their HTIB @ $550: http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...9zz&type=store

For a little more you can move to packages with separate receivers, and DVD players can be had for well under $100.

John Sib

Auditioning
I tried doing a search on Dayton subs - all I can find is what appears to be something I would have to build. Is this only sold as part of a kit?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I was just calculating the totals including shipping.
Dayton sub $125 + 14.35 shipping
JBL nsp1II $180 + 31.21 shipping at buy.com
Harman Kardon avr125 referb $179 free shipping at ecost.com
That comes to a grand total of $529.56
You guys have it good in the states. I remember calculating something similar a year ago and after air freight, taxes, duty and the exchange rate that put me over a $1000 Canadian

John Sib

Auditioning
Thank you - I think I will take your advice. Looks like a nice system and is just about the same price as the Onkyo HTIB. As a matter of fact if I didn't get the HTIB on line, it would cost more.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks