What's new

Anime Question - Cowboy Bebop on Cartoon Network (1 Viewer)

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what happened to this show?
They showed the 1st 4 episodes but now I can't find it any where on the TV schedules....
Andy

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Cartoon Network yanked anything that could be possibly questionable from their schedual. Supposedly they'll all return in 2-4 weeks
If you can't wait, pick up those DVDs!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
According to my brother, who checks out other forums, Cowboy Bebop and Gundam were pulled due to the World Trade Center/Pentgon crisis.
------------------

DrewS

Auditioning
If there is one episode that will hook the uninitiated on the entire series, it is the 5th one. Definitely don't let it fall off your radar.
drew

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I was really annoyed when I tuned in Sunday night for Cowboy Bebop and found Bugs Bunny instead. I've got the first DVD so I've see up through 5, but the 2nd one on Sunday was going to be one I hadn't seen! D'oh.
At least they didn't pull Home Movies from Adult Swim.
------------------
Brad Grenz
Link Removed
the Widgets

Shane Archer

Agent
According to Bandai (the owners of Bebop and the Gundam series') the shows were indeed pulled from Cartoon Network as a result of the terrorist attacks.
However, both should return to the CN lineup sometime in early October, if not sooner (once again, from Bandai). I saw a promo for Bebop today on CN (during Adult Swim) so it can't be that far off.
I have seen all of Bebop and if you're not watching, I can definitely say, jump on board! It's some of the best that anime has to offer (IMO, of course).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Well, it returned to the lineup last night, but not without a hitch. I have never seen the whole series, just the first DVD, so I was really looking forward to continuing the series. Only they jumped right from episode five "Ballad of Fallen Angels" to episode seven, "Heavy Metal Queen", skipping episode six "Sympathy for the Devil" altogether!!! What's up with that??
Bebop fans, was there anything in Ep 6 that would deem it totally inappropriate to air on Cartoon Network? I am really aggravated about this--I can live with the occasional censorship of nudity and blood, and I can even (barely) tolerate the English dub, but skipping an episode entirely?!? That ain't cool...
Oh, well, it's still a damn fine anime. Still...grrrr...
angry.gif

See you Space Cowboy!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree, that is messed up. I suggest you buy the DVDs (unless you already have) because then you get the episodes in their original versions. Just use the CN ones to get an idea of what happens and such.
Considering that the show is on at around midnight, I don't see why including anything that bad would be such a problem.

Shane Archer

Agent
I can actually (sort of) see why they would not show #6, though I do hope they air it at some point.
The episode is called Sympathy for the Devil and centers around a child musician who seems to have been alive for centuries. Enter Spike & co. to discover the truth...
There are scenes in the episode that some might consider quite disturbing, I suppose. Overall it's a decent episode but nothing really takes place that adds to the overall plot. I think that Episode #5 is still my favorite in the series... not sure how much they edited it on CN, but on DVD it was quite impressive.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Morgan,
I was planning on getting the DVDs eventually, as this is now my new favorite anime, but it's going to be a little while. To me, $200 for the Cowboy Bebop box set seems like a no-brainer, but amazingly my wife can't see that... :)
I was hoping to catch all of the episodes on CN to at least see what happens, and then collect the DVDs when I could. Looks like that plan's shot, though, if they are going to be skipping episodes with a hint of adult content. (Sigh)
Decisions, decisions...if I get the box set I won't have funds left for an Xbox...and I know how disappointed you would be then!
biggrin.gif

Oh well, thanks for the replies, and if I find out why they skipped the episode I'll post an update here for anyone else who's wondering...
[Edited last by Dave Falasco on September 26, 2001 at 07:14 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks