1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anime DVDs for the relative newbie

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EdwardS, Jun 8, 2003.

1. EdwardS

EdwardS Extra

Hi crew,
    Ok, I've alwyas been interested in japanime but I was wondering if any of you guys can recommend some good anime dvds which have quality sound and picture....I have Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Neon Genesis Evangelion etc but are there any crucial ones which I have to have....
    Thanks
    Ed

2. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

Do a quick search for 'Novice Anime Discoussion' Or you could just follow this link here [​IMG] -

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...4&pagenumber=1

The recommendations are generally considered the better examples of Anime available by the Otaku of HTF.

Cowboy Bebop is highly praised by most (I think that's partly because it's slightly 'westernised') and there's no denying that it's a great series.

If you're specifically looking for excellent transfers/colour etc then I recommend going for more modern Anime shows. Mahoromatic's transfer is rock solid throughout although you should probably read the DVD reviews to discover if that's the kind of thing you're into.

Personally I'm a big fan of Escaflowne (although it drifts apart a bit in the last few episodes) & I'd definitely recommend Spirited Away (or any film by Miyazaki in fact) as a must purchase as well.

3. EdwardS

EdwardS Extra

Great, thanks for your help!

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

5. Matt<>Broon

Err.. Yeah, that's what I meant. The perils of a misplaced apostrophe and forgetting to proof read. :b

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Is there a Region 2 (w/ English subs) Anime recommended list?

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Mark, there isn't enough subbed stuff to make a list [​IMG]

All the Ghibli movies are recommended and are subbed in R2 though [​IMG]

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Thanks, Is that R2 Japan or Europe?

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Japan.

11. Matt<>Broon

R2 Europe? Unfortunately that list is quite small, I don't often see Anime on the shelves around here. [​IMG]

Erm. Akira is out. As is Vampire Hunter D (actually that seems to have just been re released or something must check it out).

You CAN get Escaflowne if you look hard enough and Evangelion IIRC. Both come highly recommended. I'm a big Escaflowne fan myself.

12. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

13. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Here's the $.65 question. How many of those R2 (japan or europe) releases don't have R1 counterparts?

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The big one, Memories finally got picked up by Columbia Tri-Star. The Ghibli titles for the most part will be out here eventually

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space
    Tree of Palme
    Boy Who Saw The Wind
    Five Star Stories

I don't believe anyone here has those

15. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

16. SeanMW

SeanMW Auditioning

princess mononoke has a 5.1 jap track as well as the 5.1 english dub

17. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I know nothing about anime, and only have (and have seen) Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke sounds intriguing, but before I get it I'm wondering if there's expected to be a 2 disc release of it soon, like for some of the other Miyazaki features? Also, I vaguely recall something amiss with the Kiki's Delivery Service DVD...is that so, is it something I should worry about? Thanks for the help, and saving me from reading all the anime threads *right now* to find out!

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The Kiki disc has some problems with the English Dub being out of sync... I also see problems with the subs...
    ...now I am not in any way fluent in Japanese, but I know some of the basics and I saw lots of errors in the sub track. This is because (from doing research) they used the dub script to create the literal sub script (if that makes sense). There is a way around this... if you know how to use DVD Subber and get a script from ScriptClub.ORG... you can run a literal translation on a HTPC. It's not too too big of a deal though... and the subs are the same as both the J-disc and the Hong Kong disc IIRC... so it's not as if Disney is screwing us.

Also worth getting (outside of the Disney-Ghibli deal) is Ghibli-non-Miyazaki film Grave of the Fireflies which is directed by other Ghibli frontman Isao Takahata. It's probably MY favorite war film of all time and gives a rare glimpse of WWII from the eyes of an everyday Japanese teenager and his sister. It's been released by Central Park Media in a 2-disc set and is and EXCELLENT disc... can be found at Best Buy for $19.99 ($29.99 MSRP).

Miyazaki's continuation of one of his TV affairs can be found in Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro which pre-dates Ghibli. Spielberg is a big fan of Lupin (the "James Bond" of anime) and it's quite obvious that this film had a BIG influence on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It's been released by Manga Entertainment and although it's non-anamorphic... it's still one of their best discs. There is also a 2-disc SE released in Region 2, but that will run ya around $60 to import it (w/o subs... although, again, you can use DVDsubber).

19. Matt<>Broon

Funnily enough (since this thread has emerged again) I was watching Spirited Away the other night on my new TV and I noticed two things I hadn't really spotted previously.

1) Absolutely no red tint visible (except where it's supposed to be). Not sure how but it's vanished I tell ya.

2) The soundtracks in Japanese are a) Japanese Stereo & b) Japanese DTS. There is not traditional 5.1 soundtrack on the disk.

Most unusual.

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I assume you wree watching the R2 or R3 version?

DTS is huge in Asia, and it's not suprise that Ghibli dumped DD 5.1 in favor of DTS, since 90%+ of 5.1 equipped people have DTS