What's new

And Yet Another SV Review (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
One of the most interesting things about these forums is the obvious fanaticism over SV subs. Witness the current buzz over the PC+ series.
After a year or so of reading the reviews and seeing words like WOW and AMAZING over and over, one begins to think there’s something religious about the damn things or perhaps the fact that the people that make and sell the product get to swim in the pool with a mass of potential buyers and fuel the frenzy on a day to day basis. SALES HEAVEN I would think.
Another compelling feature of this event is the fact that it’s very cool to support a
small company. Their business depends on a personal level of service. I.E. you get their attention easily.

Now enter me, with my arms crossed and an eyebrow raised for months, thinking NO WAY it’s that good! Well………..

My Ultra Package arrived with a slightly bent box and a nice crush on the port grill. It only took an email to get a new part shipped. A UPS notice hit my email within 2 hours. Nice
The rest of the package checked out OK. UPS gave it a test and the guys at SV were all over it. It was Military and I loved it.

After setting up the Ultra in my front left corner and moving my trusty 12 cube out of the way, I decided to try the Samson amp at 25% volume and the receiver at 0db. Where’s the sound? Well darn, what did I do wrong. Check the wires- looks fine. Amp at 50% and there’s a little movement, but not what I expected. After another email, I’m reminded of something I already know. This is a standard power amp and not as easy to gain as your basic plate amp on the back of most powered subs. Oh yea………DUH! So on to positioning and a little basic calibration and like many, I suspect, I had the sub a little hot because I was used to that constant and easy to hear 40-50hz and the Ultra just didn’t give it up. What I hoped for the most was exactly what I was getting and at first I let it fool me. No false info. The Ultra was waiting for the real thing and I perceived that as lacking at first.
It took a few passes on the many favorite disks and I slowly turned the sub down more and more. At the end of the first night of testing I’m around –10 on the receiver and full up on the Samson. I already know that will change as the days go by and I begin to trust my Sound Level Meter from the Shack. You see, all that hype had me in the mood to go BOOM, and the SV will grant that wish, but only if it’s on the disk, not in the box- pardon me – cylinder. Sweet!

I passed the usual stuff on DVD, U571, Pod Race, Coming Mother, etc. but the telling moment was the sock explosion in Monsters. A friend dropped in to check it out and we just looked at each other with (yep I’m repeating everybody else here) our mouths hanging open. A couple of 45 year olds just turned into kids. We had to replay it. Great stuff!

You can read about the customer service, but when you actually buy an SV and experience the treatment these guys give, well…….it’s been a pleasure. Again I’m repeating another word used over and over in the forums.
It PLEASURES me to hear this thing they call an ULTRA.

The fact that SV and their customers keep the party going and going is a testament to the quality of the product.

Eric

Duvall

Agent
Boy, howdy!

I got my dual 20-39 PCplus' dialed in to where they just sneak under the wire of bottoming out on the THX intro to "Phantom Menace", speaking of menacing.

While it was a wait with the Plus series, I must say that my total experience with SVS, from initial question volleying, to ordering, to service after the sale, has been exemplary. I shelled out good money, and yet I'M THE ONE DOING THE THANKING! That's a good sign, I'd say.

See ya. Dave

ErichH

Screenwriter
Dave,
My Ultra had no problem with the intro - it just spanked me in the chest and kept going.
Eric

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Don't you just hate it when that happens? You pay for a product and it ends up exceeding your expectations and you end up thanking the the owners. :D (And my "little" 20-39CSi is still going strong and making me grin everytime I try to test it. :D)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't agree more with you guys. I am awaiting the arrival of my 20-39CS+ (its supposed to get here tomorrow, WOOHOO!) and I can not say enough about the customer service I received from Ron at SVS. I know this topic has been talked about extensively but it is amazing to experience it first hand. Last week Ron and I exchanged emails so rapidly it was like we were instant messaging each other. I went back and checked and I actually ended up thanking Ron 11 times in about a 14 hour stretch. A little attentiveness and honesty goes a long way these days. Overall I am very impressed with SVS and the Internet model in general. The only down side is that SVS are not miracle workers because I broke my foot on Sunday and now I can't lug around my 20-39 for a couple more days. 6 weeks? :angry: I guess if you are bed/couch ridden for a couple days there are a lot worse things than getting to watch movie after movie (with obligatory football breaks) with a brand new SVS. :D

Duvall

Agent
>>Dave,
My Ultra had no problem with the intro - it just spanked me in the chest and kept going.
Eric

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm pretty sure the amp should be on the maximum gain setting (your receiver will control the levels). Turning down a gain knob limits the maximum amount of power a speaker can draw (not good). If it is a volume knob on the amp (doubtful) then disregard my comment.

Duvall

Agent
I calibrated with the PCplus amps set 1/2 way up (the manual said between 1/2 to 3/4). I set the LFE and subwoofer outputs as described in the Outlaw ICBM manual, and then calibrated the B&K Reference 30 to 75db to match the rest of the speakers. Ultimately, I had to go back and cut the LFE output on the ICBM down to about 50% open, and everything just clicked into place.

I'm going to spend more time with it all this weekend. One thing about setting the sub amps up higher, is that I hear a them both hum, while with the subs gain at 50% it's basically inaudible. It's not a ground loop with the cable TV system, as I put in a Mondial Magic a long time ago to take care of that. Not sure where the ground loop would be otherwise, or if it is a ground loop.

See ya. Dave

ErichH

Screenwriter
Greg,
I agree, but just started at a low level, not knowing what to expect from the amp and my recievers gain going to it. It's at 0 now and acting well.
To make things more interesting I added some new stands for the fronts & center that are sand filled and very dense.
I feel as though there's more energy in the room. Of course much is from the Ultra, but with the diminished 40-50hz I described it seems as though the mains/center have a little more room to operate. This is not from any test - just my ears telling me things are cleaner in the room. A nice supprise.

Eric

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dave,
The PC version of the SV subs have a volume control. The Sampson amp has a gain control.

Eric,
A wise precaution. I just wanted to make sure you didn't turn the gain back down (e.g. diminishing available amp power)!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Eric,

Missed this one yesterday! Seems the PC-Plus subs are an even bigger hit than we expected. Thanks very much for taking the time to let us know we hit the mark. We take our "market research" direct from you guys here!

Ron

ErichH

Screenwriter
And again Thanks to you RON!
A few have wondered in to the room and asked the question `Can I hear this?' and of course it's a lot of fun to get that same smile with those little horns popping out of the top of my head(your lil' devil sig)
Passed the new Amadeus Directors cut last night and of course the main player in the film is the MUSIC. The SV filled the bottom perfectly. The score was full of energy without being boomy.
Low strings and timpany were on the money.
It was time to hear something other than action sound.
I'm looking forward to passing much of my collection again just to see what I missed without the SV.
I feel some horns coming out as I type this.
Eric
Link Removed

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
finally back on HTF after getting hitched, going on a honeymoon and moving into our new apartment. :D
so down to the mundane matters of daily life, 2 nights ago I'd finally set up my 29" Sony Wega with a new component video cable, so I spun Toy Story 2 to have a look. as you all know the bass on this in the opening scenes is monstrous, and after a short while my wife came out of the bedroom wondering what on earth all that rumbling was :b
mind you, the volume was very modest, it was late-ish in the evening after all, but the sub's performance was just awesome. (I have a 22-31PCi)
last night, I was watching Voyager. I had the HT on to play the sound, instead of the usual TV speakers. again, the SVS would produce this menacing rumble whenever appropriate (e.g. scenes in Engineering where the warp core is rumbling; when Voyager flies by etc). once again, since it was quite late, I got wary of bugging the sleeping wife, and ultimately copped out and switched the sub off... :b
what can I say, an absolutely awesome piece of equipment. we all know about its abilities with movies on DVD, but I'm even finding more enjoyment when watching plain old broadcast/cable telly, and I look forward to the time I can run an F1 race at full volume to see what the sub does...

ErichH

Screenwriter
Just wanted to add a little(big actually) note.
BIG PHAT BAND DVD Audio disk and the SVS is working BIG TIME!!!
The acoustic bass and wide open drum mix is kickin some major ass here! It's sounding so good, I just keep turning it up & UP.
Nothing has the impact of that big horn section and the drums hitting at the same time. The Swing doesn't hurt either.

Oh YEAH!!

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks