What's new

And Then There Were None (1945) Blu-ray - July 16th (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I seem to remember the Image release having some legal problems when released and may have been withdrawn for a couple of months. Not sure if it was Fox or VCI that made the complaint I had ordered and received it the time of release and felt special since it taken out of circulation.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Seeing the cover reminds me that I found the IMAGE disc (rough opening credit sequence notwithstanding) head and shoulders above the dark, murky transfer on the VCI (I bought both) BUT I loved that the VCI version used that great original artwork. I think you know where this is going but I currently have the IMAGE disc sitting on my shelf inside the VCI cover.

I hope this is a good release as I've loved this movie ever since I was teeny.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will Krupp said:
Seeing the cover reminds me that I found the IMAGE disc (rough opening credit sequence notwithstanding) head and shoulders above the dark, murky transfer on the VCI (I bought both) BUT I loved that the VCI version used that great original artwork. I think you know where this is going but I currently have the IMAGE disc sitting on my shelf inside the VCI cover.

I hope this is a good release as I've loved this movie ever since I was teeny.
I thought the Image disc was only slightly better than the VCI, anyhow, here's to hoping that the BD is much better than both of them.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I don't think I'd blind buy this for more than $5. I'm happy to pay more after the reviews let us know if it's worth the $

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I just viewed the new VCI DVD and its quality is simply NOWHERE near the 2001 Image DVD edition. The corresponding Blu-ray may look better in hi-def, but VCI simply didn't use as good a print as Image did, and no Blu-ray or Ultra-Blu-ray is going to fix that. Contrast, brightness, and sharpness and everything across the board are all inferior to the Image disc. And the VCI picture is significantly CROPPED on all four sides of the screen compared to the Image disc. Sighhhhh.... I'm going to send Image an email to urge them to make its own Blu-ray edition to do the film justice.

Screen captures. I don't even have to tell which ones are from the VCI disc and which are from Image.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This is disappointing news and I hope that the blu-ray will be significantly better. I also have the Image DVD (based on much better reviews than the VCI edition) and am waiting for blu-ray reviews from owners of the Image DVD. I will only upgrade if the VCI blu-ray is superior.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
The Blu-ray will show higher resolution, but it won't fix what I think is the biggest problem: the out-of-whack brightness and contrast. Blacks don't look black enough and whites not white enough. Not to mention, the severe cropping. And if you look closely at the actors' faces, it seems the picture is a little bit horizontally stretched also. And the loss of sharpness (Blu-ray's higher rez may help a little). Quite a few problems. To me, it truly is across-the-board an inferior print.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The BD arrived today, watching it now. It's not great by any means, but coming from a 15 year old VHS copy it's a great enough improvement that I'm fine with it. If someone ever did a great version with some good extras I'd buy again.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Re Blu rays being superior to DVDs -- here's another example where the DVD is way better ... 'The Buddy Holly Story', where the Blu ray has a dodgy image and totally bleached colours. I sold my Blu ray immediately and kept the DVD,.
Also, the great Jean Negulesco featurette 'La Gaite Parisienne' which was an extra on the deluxe DVD version of 'The Maltese Falcon' looked just fine on DVD, and its Blu ray transfer on the reissued Blu ray of "Maltese Falcon' is virtually unwatchable .. muddy colours and even apparently out of focus at times. I've had to store the old DVD in the Blu ray case just so I still have that historic short feature in a viewable format.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's not what we're discussing Anthony, we're talking about the theoretical ideal Blu and ideal DVD, and the concept that some movies don't "need" High Definition to be enjoyed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm getting ready to pop this baby into my Oppo as I speak. Here's hoping that it's a least better than either DVD I currently own.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
I still don't expect much in comparison to most BD presentations, but it should be much better than either DVD I have of this title.
Yup, my expectations were right. It's not even as good as most Olive BD releases, but it's a definite improvement over either DVD. Since, I'd viewed those two DVDs about four months ago. I'll revisit them again tomorrow to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me. However, my first impression after viewing the BD from beginning to end is that the BD is superior to both DVDs.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Robert Crawford said:
Yup, my expectations were right. It's not even as good as most Olive BD releases, but it's a definite improvement over either DVD. Since, I'd viewed those two DVDs about four months ago. I'll revisit them again tomorrow to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me. However, my first impression after viewing the BD from beginning to end is that the BD is superior to both DVDs.
I have to respectfully disagree with you Mr Crawford. I can't help feeling I just paid $13 for a coaster. Ugh

I got through about half of the blu and decided to switch over to my old Image DVD (I no longer own the VCI) and back again to compare and, even considering the overly brightened (to the point of appearing almost brittle) image on the Image (heheh) and the generous helping of white print speckles and various other print anomalies everywhere I still find it far more satisfying than the blu-ray.

I suppose it depends on your tolerance for the extremes of both presentations. The Image DVD is very bright, thin, and brittle and the VCI blu is dark, thick, and gooey with nary a well defined edge to be found anywhere. Not only that, the sound is inferior and every optical dissolve looks like the projector bulb suddenly went kaput.

The DVD loses detail in the blown out whites and the blu-ray loses detail in the muddy murky blacks and neither can be considered definitive (or even very good) but for my money the old DVD is how I personally prefer to experience it. My brain can more easily "correct" the flaws of the DVD and give me the impression of how the film SHOULD look than it can the oppressively dull image of the blu-ray.

Kevin was right in that the blu-ray can't rise above the fact that the source print is inferior to the one Image used and no amount of digital manipulation can make it look like it isn't.

It's going to come down to a matter of personal preference I think. Anybody want a coaster?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
Like I said, let me revisit the DVDs again to make sure my memory is accurate from recalling what I viewed four months ago. I viewed so many discs since then and memories at my age have a tendency to misremember things such as video presentations.

I briefly took a look at the Image DVD this morning and my memory of the opening US sequence was accurate in which the BD looks better to my eyes. I then glance at other chapters of the DVD and found them better than the opening US sequence and in some cases better than the BD. After work, I'll check both discs out more closely to verify one way or another. However, as of now, I don't think the differences in both discs quality-wise are as great as the differences I noticed with the Paramount DVD release of The Strange Love of Martha Ivers versus the Film Chest BD release. But again, I'll check them out again later today in more detail.

What I can say without little doubt is that the BD is lacking quite a bit and is nowhere the quality any BD should be.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Reed Grele said:
Does anyone know if the version Amazon Prime is streaming is the VCI or Image transfer??
It's from the Image version. From the terrible-looking opening credits (picture looks great after the credits) to the lack of cropping, all indicates this is the Image print. Screenshot. Note the framing is the same as my earlier screenshots of the Image DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gary1
Recent bookmarks