What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Marie a True Story (1985) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1716930922033.png

COMING TO BLU-RAY FROM THE WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION JULY 30th!

MARIE: A TRUE STORY (1985)

BD-50
COLOR
16x9 2.39:1 Letterbox
DTS HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Running time: 112 Minutes
Contains the original theatrical trailer
Cast: Sissy Spacek, Jeff Daniels, Morgan Freeman
Pay the man, get out of prison. It’s a sweet deal for the Tennessee officials who let killers and rapists go free for a price. And who would have the guts to defy the state’s power elite? No one, except a courageous single mom named Marie Ragghianti. Masterful director Roger Donaldson (No Way Out, Thirteen Days) helmed this gripping film which tells the true story of a woman who became the head of the Tennessee parole board, then stood up to lies, threats, and murder to blow the whistle on her bosses – and send many of them, including the Governor, to the pen. Sissy Spacek brings luminous intelligence to the role of Marie, and the remarkable supporting cast includes Morgan Freeman, Jeff Daniels, and screen-debuting Fred Thompson (later a Tennessee Senator) playing himself as Marie’s real – life attorney.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is a good movie. Not for action enthusiasts, but for those who like intelligent dialog in the service of a fine script, it's recommended. Spacek is wonderful.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Why does it say its in "letterbox"? The picture won't be anamorphic?
It says it’s letterboxed because it’s in 2.39:1 scope ratio. Right before that, it says 16x9, so it will be anamorphic.

There's no such thing as an anamorphic Blu-ray and no provision for anamorphism in the Blu-ray disc specifications. Here's an old thread on the subject.

The Marie disc is correctly described as having a 2.39:1 image letterboxed within a native 16x9 (1.78:1) frame, as is usual with scope films on HD disc.

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
There's no such thing as an anamorphic Blu-ray and no provision for anamorphism in the Blu-ray disc specifications. Here's an old thread on the subject.

The Marie disc is correctly described as having a 2.39:1 image letterboxed within a native 16x9 (1.78:1) frame, as is usual with scope films on HD disc.
I see. I meant I was afraid it would be windowboxed. (As you know, DVDs that say "letterbox" are usually non-anamorphic. You rarely see the word "letterbox" on a Blu-ray's specs, so I feared it meant the picture would not be fornatted to fit a widescreen TV).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
This is a good movie. Not for action enthusiasts, but for those who like intelligent dialog in the service of a fine script, it's recommended. Spacek is wonderful.
But a better car chase than the French Connection

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I see. I meant I was afraid it would be windowboxed. (As you know, DVDs that say "letterbox" are usually non-anamorphic. You rarely see the word "letterbox" on a Blu-ray's specs, so I feared it meant the picture would not be fornatted to fit a widescreen TV).

This is exactly the same as a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD. But Blu-rays have the same native aspect ratio, 1.78:1, as most widescreen displays, so the image is full-width. But DVDs and CRT TVs have a native AR of 1.33:1, so non-anamorphic DVDs display edge-to-edge within a 1.33:1 frame, thus appearing letterboxed on widescreen displays.

I fear we've dragged this thread too far off topic now; as a home cinema enthusiast, you really should google and learn about this stuff!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Upton Dorothea
Recent bookmarks