What's new

And Then There Were None (1945) Blu-ray - July 16th (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's true, though another site I saw had it coming from Gaiam and not VCI, and Gaiam's track record is poor at best. Hopefully it is a VCI release, who have done some good work with the same vintage of films.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
LOL, Professor Echo! I know how you feel!

At any rate, I have the SD release and it looks rather nice upconverted. A nice job on the BD would be appreciated to make having it that way super special.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of my favorite Agatha Christie-based films, so a Blu-ray would be a great joy to have if it has been done properly.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Brandon Conway said:
It's true, though another site I saw had it coming from Gaiam and not VCI, and Gaiam's track record is poor at best. Hopefully it is a VCI release, who have done some good work with the same vintage of films.
Gaiam? VCI is listed as distributor. Are they the same company? Anyhow, it's a PD title, so I don't expect any miracles in regards to PQ.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
John Doe said:
Gaiam? VCI is listed as distributor. Are they the same company? Anyhow, it's a PD title, so I don't expect any miracles in regards to PQ.
Well, I hope it is better than the VCI standard DVD from years back. It's frustrating, but it is now PD, but theatrically released by Fox. And Fox still have materials on it.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
John Morgan said:
Well, I hope it is better than the VCI standard DVD from years back.
Oh, it's truly awful, isn't it.

Coincidentally, I dug this out to watch again a couple of weeks back and was reminded what an absolute shocker it is (the PQ, not the film).

Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In my disc library, I have two DVD releases of this film. The first one was the July, 1999 release from VCI. The second one is the December, 2001 release from Image. It's been several years since I viewed either disc, but I vaguely remember the Image disc being an improvement over the VCI release. I'm going to pull both discs this weekend to refresh my memory.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have the image DVD also...I hope the HD release will be an upgrade but some titles just arent

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
I haven't seen a BD yet that isn't an upgrade over a DVD.
I have (off the top of my head)
Near Dark
The Innocents
The transfers to me looked very similar.
In fact some DVDs look great when the BluRay does an upconvert on a widescreen TV :)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Professor Echo said:
You all owe to this me seeing as how I just bought the SD copy a couple of weeks ago. It would not have come out otherwise. You're welcome. :P
I understand. I happen to possess the same amazing power over Criterion.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Robert Crawford said:
I haven't seen a BD yet that isn't an upgrade over a DVD.
Elements being equal, yes, but take a look at STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS for an example of a BD that isn't.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Will Krupp said:
Elements being equal, yes, but take a look at STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS for an example of a BD that isn't.
I think that is the key. A PD title often has good materials that are difficult or impossible to access because of cost, or legalities. Certainly I have a hand full of Blu Rays that don't hold a candle to either previous DVDs or restorations that may have played on TCM or some other outlet.

Lately, Kino has disappointed me:
BIRD OF PARADISE Blu ray looks okay, but the sound was horribly comprised with distortion and over modulation. The earlier DVD came from the same source, and the sound was fine.
LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY is from Selznick's 35mm print on Kino Blu ray, but the DVD from the Disney restoration from original negative and fine grains is superior.
Although never on DVD or Blu, the Disney restoration on NOTHING SACRED is so much better than Kino's Blu from Selznick's print. I saw a studio screening of this sometime back.
I think it was MGM release, but I remember THE STRANGER looking much better on DVD than the Blu Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gary1
Recent bookmarks