What's new

Ancient JBL speakers need a fix (1 Viewer)

Gordon B

Agent
A close friend of mine has a set of ancient JBLs. They are currently in storage 3,000 miles away in Seattle, so she is not sure of the model number. She thinks they are L110s, fairly large bookshelf speakers manufactured more than 30 years ago. They worked great until she had to put them in storage. Then, and I'm roughly quoting here, "the foam rings around the metal edge of the drivers disintegrated," probably from lack of use. She is emotionally attached to their sound and the solid walnut cabinets. Are these fixable, and, if so, by whom and at what cost? Could a reasonably proficient handyman (i.e. me)expect to locate the parts/materials and fix them? Don't tell me to advise her to get new ones. Remember I said, "emotionally attached."

TomH

Second Unit
Just search the net for speaker surrounds or repair and you will find kits, replacement services and instructions.
I was quoted around $50.00 for each 12" JBL woofer.
Probably best to use a repair service.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I too have a set of the "ancient" JBL bookshelfs, the L100. The foam around the tweet (LE23) is the foam that disintegrates from mother time.... not lack of use. JBL has a vintage division but last year they advised me they had no replacement foams for the tweets. The tweets are probably ok, just the foam dispersion ring is gone. I actually changed out my tweets for a newer titanium model just to get closer to a match with my center channel.
I totally understand how attached she must be to these "ancient" JBLs but upon listening to them, you may also understand. I bought mine is 1978 and use them for stereo music and the mains for my HT. I have tried several manufacturers of speakers the past few years and found it will take a lot of money to get the same performance as the old JBLs.
Hang on to them honey.... you really may not hear any difference in the tweets with the foam gone so let'em blast. They will handle anything you push at them. If they have been stored a long time, you may want to remove the drivers and check the connections. Otherwise, all they need is some liquid gold for the beautiful walnut and mega watts to feed them......
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Gordon B

Agent
Thanks to all for the advice on rehabbing the ancient JBLs. I was afraid to perform surgery on the family jewels myself so she took them to a repair place. For $70, they were refoamed and she swears they sound better now than when they were new. Haven't listened to them myself yet, but Merrily is certainly ecstatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks