What's new

Anchor Bay to re-release their Hammer Films collection!!! (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

One can never be sure of these things without an inside view, but I think that odds are that Fox has all of the rights tied up for the US.

DJ

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
FOX was strangely silent as to why they were able to release the uncut version of OMYBC on LD, but gave us the short version on DVD;
Hammer/Warner/Studio Canal have the long version in the UK, but it isnt anamorphic. But those extra scenes DO make a difference.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

Even stranger was it's "A" counterpart on its double bill in the states: GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM with Jack Lemmon and Romy Schneider!

Although nothing beats, of course, Paramount's finest double bill ever: THE ODD COUPLE and ROSEMARY'S BABY!!!

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Fox wasn't silent on why they used the shorter version of 100 Million Years on DVD. The materials for the extended sequences are not in good condition compared to the main feature. Laserdisc's comparatively low video quality allowed them to hide this, but on DVD it would be painfully obvious and would probably take away from watching the film. Fox didn't feel that the sales would justify restoration work, so they just used the shorter version.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Wait a minute-they HAD the full edition-they didnt have to splice in any added parts-they used the full Hammer-Associated British Pathe edition for the LD, so there was nothing to restore. (and it looked in fine shape)

The same master should have been given a once over and used in the current DVD.

Instead, they give us the cut Hammer Seven Arts version.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

Some folks were speculating about the above scenario, but I don't remember that info ever coming from Fox directly. Do you have a source?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I don't know if you're maybe implying that WB did the work on the LD behind the scenes (which I would have no way of knowing), but Fox Video distributed the LD with catalog # 0199585.

DJ

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Vincent-P

Fox wasn't silent on why they used the shorter version of 100 Million Years on DVD. The materials for the extended sequences are not in good condition compared to the main feature. Laserdisc's comparatively low video quality allowed them to hide this, but on DVD it would be painfully obvious and would probably take away from watching the film. Fox didn't feel that the sales would justify restoration work, so they just used the shorter version.

They could have at least included them as deleted scenes though. Or an integrated-type option ala Disney's "The Lion King".
Also, as mentioned above, the British DVD (released by Warner Bros./Studio Canal) is uncut.

I wish the out of print Hammer films would be re-released.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Seeing this thread get resurrected, in agreement that it would be nice if Anchor Bay re-release the Hammer titles.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Sony have just released this in the UK (along with The Camp On Blood Island & The Damned) an exclusive release through a company called Movie Mail. I wouldn't be surprised to see these titles released in the US next year.

Originally Posted by kingfish

I was hoping for yesterday's enemy which is a hammer title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks