What's new

Analog DTS Sub Problem (1 Viewer)

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
I've been having a problem using my DVD player's onboard DTS decoder to feed analog 5.1 to my receiver, and wondered if anyone here might have some insight. The problem is simply that using this set-up, no signal makes it to the sub when playing a DTS audio stream. The problem isn't related to bad connections because the sub works fine with DVD-Audio discs using the onboard DVD-Audio decoder. Until now I've just been using the digital feed and my receiver's DTS decoder, but I'd like to try analog, which I suspect will sound more crisp on my system if I could get the sub working. Of course I'm at work and don't have my model info, but the DVD player is a Panasonic. Thanks for any thoughts...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You'll have to crank the sub's level up quite a bit. DD/dts have a +10dB offset added to the .1 channel while SACD and DVD-A do not. Some players and receivers have a feature to compensate for this, so I'd look for that first on each, but if not you'll have to manually adjust the trim levels.

This should not be the case for dts, though there is also a separate setting for that on most dts capable players.

99% of receivers will have better bass management than the player, so for DD/dts tracks, I'd use digital.

You cannot get DVD-A tracks via digital unless you have both a player and receiver that are capable of this, which many are not.

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll check the setup on the player again. Unfortunately I already tried cranking the sub. Hopefully I just missed something in the setup that will fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks