What's new

An Anti-Spam Article that ticks me off... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend22_20021122.htm

>>>It is intricate computer software, said Ralsky, that can detect computers that are online and then be programmed to flash them a pop-up ad, much like the kind that display whenever a particular Web site is opened.

"This is even better," he said. "You don't have to be on a Web site at all. You can just have your computer on, connected to the Internet, reading e-mail or just idling and, bam, this program detects your presence and up pops the message on your screen, past firewalls, past anti-spam programs, past anything.
>>>>>

I guess now I know what those message popups I have to keep closing now and then are. Now we know this idiot suceeded.

But here's a question... Can't Microsoft Develop an anti-Spam program integrated directly into Outlook Express? It would scan it for certain words and block known spam accounts from reaching your inbox. They would either be deleted automatically, or sent to a seperate web page hosted by Microsoft, where you can access these emails and delete them manually.

They could also develop a program that somehow blocks these desktop pop up adds.

Can it be done, and would Microsoft be willing to spend the time to do it?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> block known spam accounts from reaching your inbox

But the spammers keep using different addresses, so any list of "known accounts" would be obsolete by the time you downloaded it.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
There's a messenger service on your system that can be turned off to get rid of those popups. You'll have to look for info on your versions of Windows. If you're using NT, 2k, or XP look under Administrative Tools -> Servces and disable Messenger.

As for blocking spam, there are various service that document known spammers and servers that allow spam and block mail from them. There are organizations working together to do this. They also check incoming e-mail for evidence that its forged. Check out spamcop.net for one. My e-mail is handled on a friend's server and he filters all incoming mail and I very rarely get spam, one or two a week max, and I've been using this e-mail address for quite a while now.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Ralsky agreed to this interview and the tour of his operation only if I promised not to print the address of his new home, which I found in Oakland County real estate records.
This is hilarious. The author won't print the address but he tells you how to find it!!!! Bwaaahahahahahahahahaha!

As for that new stealth spam software, I sincerely hope that he tries to use it and gets rung up on charges of violating the federal computer trespassing law.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I didn't pay much attention to the article. Now I realize this is old news, and it caused the guy a big headache. A bunch of people figured out where the house is and posted it to the net. He ended up on thousands of mailing lists. It was hysterical. He was whining about it and threatening to sue some of the anti-spam activists over it. You might be able to find more at slashdot.org about it, I think that's where I read about it.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Thank God I use a Mac. Safari blocks all pop-ups, things like Gator simply don't exist, and Mail.app catched on average all but one or two junk e-mail a day. The rest go to the junk mail folder where a quick scan ensures that no legit mail got caught, then I do a boune to sender which returns the mail as coming from an invalid e-mail account. Has worked pretty well, cut my spam down to an average of only 10-15 or so spams e-mails a day.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
What are the consequences of disabling Messenger in Windows 2000? Is there a reason I would want it enabled?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
None unless you are plugged into a LAN (like at work). It's used for messages like "Server going down in 5 minutes, please log off"

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Macs aren't immune, they're just mostly ignored due to their miniscule market share. If I wanted to be a hacker I would go after Macs so that Mac users would have to stop being so smug and saying things like "Thank God I use a Mac" when bad things happen to PCs.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Just like telemarketing cannot be done to cell phones

I wish. I get junk calls on mine. I'm not sure how the caller would know it's a cell before they call.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Cells use prefixes that are not in the normal landline exchange. They could get a list of these prefixes very easily

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
1. disable the messenger service on your PC if you're running windows.

2. get a firewall and block all incoming traffic. this should be done anyway, spam or no.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
What I didn't mention before was that in that article he stated that he did have an opt-out function, but he didn't say that he was doing anything with it.

Also, if I selected opt-out for Acme razor blades, I might not get any more razor blade ads, but that wouldn't have anything to do with every other ad that goes out, and by opt-ing out, as we all know, only verifies your email address.

I see no reason why spam cannot be stopped by my ISP. Why should all of us have to get filters when they can do it with just one? Crap, they're getting $20. a month.

Glenn

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Bingo :emoji_thumbsup: If you can't catch Ralsky and his fellow leeches, go after the people who hire them. Should be considerably easier. They can't ALL move their operations off-shore, can they?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I see no reason why spam cannot be stopped by my ISP. Why should all of us have to get filters when they can do it with just one? Crap, they're getting $20. a month.
Define what spam you want them to stop. If you include email in that then you get into some very ugly and tricky privacy issues. Do you really want your ISP peeking at your email to see if it's "valid" content or not?

A lot of companies don't filter spam for reasons like this - if they tell the employees they are running content filtering software to fight spam, and someone gets a spam anyway that contains offensive content, there is the possibility of that employee being able to use that in a "hostile workplace" lawsuit. It's already been done, which is why my company is still weighing a lot of things out when it comes to the best way to fight spam.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks