What's new

amps for DIY subs, who runs what? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well heck,..I will just ask you all. What does everybody use to run their DIY subs and Sonotubes? Since some use pro amps to do this,..just what equipment have you run ahead of them as to not damage your speakers?
Thanks guys,,,still trying to learn,...>>>--->

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I initially was using two PSA1 amps from ACI. These are the same as the KG5150 amps from Madisound except these have a bass boost defeat switch. I've swapped them out temporarily with my Crown K2 while I'm in the process of building my 18" subwoofer.

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm using the AVA250 from Adire with my Adire Tempest based sonosub. I built an enclosure to fit the side of the sub and attached it.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using the Parts Express 250 watt plate amp. I built a small box enclosure for the plate amp and it just hides behind my my S412p with the mode set to auto. I just unplug the cord after I shut everything down. Kevin trust me, you won't be disappointed if you go with a plate amp setup.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I love my 130 Watt ApexJr that powers Link Removed. It's not a lot of power, I know, but it delivers plenty of bass for my small HT.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I'm using the Hypex HS500 from Adire. Fan is VERY quite which is important as currently the amp is only about 5' from the listening position.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you that run Pa amps and pro audio amps, what do you use to cut ultra low frequincies, so you subs are protected from damaging overextension? A lot of the plate amps have rumble filters and such in them. I don't think a lot of pro amps do. They rely on what you run ahead of them. Also,. do you run crossovers behind your sub out on your receiver, just to make sure you have good control? Some don't have adjustable levels. I think 100 hz may be too high. I can't even find the listing of what mine is crossed at. I was shocked it wasn't in the book. Denon 3801,..anybody know?
Thanks again,...>>>--->

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I use a Kenwood Basic M2A (250Wx2 @8Ohms) with each voice coil on my EBS Shiva powered seperately. I've yet to experience any clipping from the Kenwood, even at +5 to +10dB over reference levels. Overall it's very nice and seems to mate well and is a perfect match for the Shiva.

Kevin,

I've not experienced any problems for quite some time. I've bottomed my sub twice (TPM THX intro) while it was first breaking in (clack! clack!), but it doesn't do it anymore... even at the same levels. BTW, I don't run my sub "hot". I've found it sounds better flat, after I got used to it.

The 3801 crosses at 100Hz.

BrendanL

Agent
I have a Crown CE-2000. 450x2 at 8 ohms, and 650x2 at 4 ohms. Or, 1950 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms.
It's mean, and yes I can clip my Shiva easily. I am using 1 Shiva in the 95L ported box recommended by adire. My other 12 is a swan by madisound, I built it about 6 years ago. I can set the level independantly on each channel so the shiva is set higher than the swan, as the swan only handles about 300 watts.
I got it here, they were cheap, entirely reliable, and included shipping.
http://www.woodwindbrasswind.com/product.jsp?path=-1|96310|96313|172118&id=71174
I use an outlaw 1050 as my preamp, and I am not using a rumble filter.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
My LFE sub is driven by a Metron A4000 (Rare esoteric amp made by Cerwin Vega in the early 1980s) that bridges to 1.1KW @ 8 ohms. Crossover is in my pre-pro, but I use a custom outboard active filter network to extend the response to 20 Hz and roll off below (rumble filter). Sub is a JBL 2245H in 280 l. The JBL doesn't have the xmax of some newer driver designs, but I've never bottomed it, even with a brief run at +8 dB over reference. With 95dB sensitivity and over a kilowatt on tap, the combo seems to have "adequate" output.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Kevin the Mackie 1400I you have interest in has a low cut filter which can be set from 10hz to 250hz I think.It can be set to off as well.
The shiva and tempest really don't need much power unlike the BP and Stryke drivers.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, I have my Denon 2802 crossover at 80hz and my mains(JBL S412p 200 watt powered towers) set to large. The rest of my equipment is set to small. On the plate amp it is crossedover at 40hz. I think I bottomed my sub out during the pod race scene, it sounds like an overextension. The weird thing is at reference level the THX TPM intro has no problems??? I thought it was port noise but actually I think it was the sub meeting max excursion. Good luck Kev!!!

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info guys. I don't know too many folks into this stuff around where I live. Not much to do comparisons with.
>>>--->

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
My sub amp is a QSC Model 1400, which was one of their cinema amps. It sends 600rms to my Earthquake Magma 15, which is in a 225L vented enclosure. I do not use a low-cut filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks