Plate Amps & Woofs/"IYO" what are the best price to performance ratio units

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Geoff L, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

This is to hopefully help others who are looking for Woofs and Amps to build a sub.
    So much is out their now offering good high quaility products.

=====>
    It's never that cut and dry, (the type of sub one builds could change what might be the better buy) of course...And if thats a point you'ed like to make be sure to include that.
    =====>

But in "general", what do you belive offers the best price to performace ratio in a woofer, Plate Amp, and even Pro amp/s as many use these to driver their sub/s.???

I'm speaking to NON close out stuff, special buys, or limited run stuff. Another words, drivers and amps that are available for purchase now or with a very limited wait time due to being out of stock currently..

In the last 2 years, the selection of very good/great Drivers and both Plate & Pro Amps has increased expotentionly.

I think allot of first timers may not even be aware ~{of what might be available to them}~ for purchase to build that great first time DIY sub.

So what do you guys think is a great buy "now-a-days" in woofs, plate amps, and pro amps...?????

For USA & Canada both....

Dollar for dollar these sub components are what I feel have given me the {most for the least} in cash out lay..
    Driver:
    I'll start by metioning the Elemental Designs-Kx.22 DVC/12" flat cone driver, ($70.00) Fantastic sealed small box SQ diver and cheap if you can find any left. This is actual one of their lower end drivers, amazingly good sounding driver.
    I built 2 of these sealed Q=.620 and could not be more pleased with their sound quaility and "extension".
    For SQ I prefer it to the Titanic-12, SVS-orig 12, and Shiva 12 using the exact same alignment and power plant.
    It can be used ported and dose not require a ton of power to drive when sealed...3-year warranty on their drivers and trasferable.

They, (ED) are currently in the middle of changing over to new driver lines. Super CO to deal with also...

Plate Amp:
    The Rythmik Audios 380-watt non servo plate amp with it's toggel goodies. On sale 135.00 and 15.00 to ship. Also Brian is a super guy to deal with.

Regards
    Geoff

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Stryke Audio/AE Speakers AV12 woofer - this woofer has force, finesse, and stunning looks. You can't go far wrong with this driver. It provides the best value, if its $175 price of admission is within your reach. There are lots of cheaper drivers out there like Shiva and the Parts Express DVC that offer lots less but they aren't as awesome of a value for the features.

Rythmik 380-watt amplifier provides enough force to get most woofers going but if you bought the AV12 you might want something a bit more powerful like the Parts Express 500w plate amp, now that its auto-on sensitivity issues have been addressed.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I agree, the Stryke AV line of Woofs are most likely one of the best price to performance ratio woofers at their price point. And they are awful purdy to boot!
    As far as power to the AV-12, I think the 500 watter is the better choice for sure, but depending on the alignment, the 380-Rythmik would do nicely in a 4th order ported or EBS setup and at a much cheaper price.

I have not used the AV-12 or 15 yet in anything, (basicly due to the pre-order deal, just not my thing to wait), but intended to do something once Stryke/AE get things going good with the new in house setup.
    Most likely I will build a sub using one of the AV's for someone else, but thats besides the point.

I think that most just starting in DIY sub building would "most likely" prefer to spend as little as possible {for as much subage as they can get for their dollar}, and this includes an amp if needed.
    Of course there are the exceptions who are not afraid, or have the pocket book to jump in big time.

Buy no means is this thread ment to be a (who makes the best driver/s or Amp/s)! It's all about getting the most for the least and hopefully letting people who are just getting interested, or started in DIY, just what is available out their.

Theres allot to choose from now days and I hope people will add their comments on components they feel got/give them the most for the least.

Cheers
    Geoff

4. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

In my opinon the good ol Tempest and 250 watt plate amp cant be beat in price/performance ratio. The AV line are pretty and have great extension but you need power to use that extension which = greater cost. But I may be a bit biased since i own a tempest [​IMG].

Ryan

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you can handle the size required for a Tempest sub, I also think it's a friggin' bargain when you couple it with 250W plate amp that can be had for around $100-$125.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

One more nod to the AV12 and Rythmik 380. If you're froogle with materials you can build a sub with these for around $400 and have something better than a PC+ or PB1+ and nearly as good as a PC Ultra.

I'm currently running an original AV12 and PE 272w amp in a good sized ported box and it's awesome, i can only imagine with the added power available from the Rythmik amp.

7. Rory Buszka

My 500W AV12 in a Stryke Thunder 12.3 cabinet design is only hours away from completion. I expect the parts to come in today while I'm at work and then tomorrow morning I will be rocking to some major bass. That 500w amplifier has one hefty power cord. The amp cost $300 and the passive radiators were $150 for two 1400g ones.

8. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Well, I am also a fan of the Tempest 250W plate amp combo. I think it is the perfect combination for someone looking to get into the DIY subwoofer arena without shelling out a ton of $$$$. Mine has served me well.

I am currently building an AV15 power cube powered by the PE 500W plate amp. I will be installing the amp tonight and should be giving it a good test run after that. I consider the AV15 to be a substantial upgrade from my current Tempest setup (214L ported)... I'll definately know if that is true tonight [​IMG]

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I also vote for the Tempest and 250-watt plate amp for best bang-for-the-buck. Mine sounds so good I'm not thinking of "upgrading" it.

10. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I agree, they sound incredible. The only reason I'm moving on is because I got an outrageous deal on the AV15 and PRs from a friend that changed his mind. I'll be doing a side by side to determine which I'll keep but I'm pretty sure it will be the AV15 (I'm looking for even more foundation rattling bass... I think I have a problem), I will hate to see my beloved Tempest go, I'll find it a good home though.

11. Rory Buszka

Darren, the AV15 probably wants lots of power. The 380w amp probably won't give you as much as you should expect from the driver. The Parts Express 500w amp will probably give you the most output you will use but you can probably even put a 1000w Parts Express amp on it without blowing it. Check to see that the AV15 is the MKII version, with dual spiders that have a black plastic spacer between them. This is important because the first AV15s had troubles with the single spider supporting the apex of the cone AND the voice coil. The cone/VC assembly would begin to cantilever out of control and scrape the voice coil on the side of the magnetic gap. This did not affect the AV12 but it affected the first-generation AV15, with a 50% failure rate. Someone at TC Sounds dropped the ball and thus the AV-series MK II was born out of necessity The dual spider has the centering ability necessary for the cone and voice coil.

As a side note, I'll report on how my AV12/dual 15" PR setup sounds tomorrow evening after I have had time to finish the final assembly stages and put it through its paces.

12. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Anyone have a picture? The sub is assembled and working great, the 500 watts is plenty for the power cube but the sub will definately take more as the amp gives before the driver does but that is waaaaaaay over proper calibration.

I'd like to identify which driver I have, I purchased it nearly a year ago from a friend... not sure how long he had it though. If it is a MKI then am I just screwed?

13. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I think only one run of the AV15s were faulty as mentioned. If you've had it and been using it for awhile and it hasn't failed then you're probably ok. If not, it really could go at any time (from my understanding).

14. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

;

15. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Yikes, just found out from the guy I bought it from that it could possibly be one of the first series... I guess I'll have to go home and pull it apart to check. I hope I can identify the black plastic spacer... not sure what it would actually look like.

Was there a recall or is it just bad luck for me?

16. Rory Buszka

Only the single-spider version had problems. The dual-spider version was all right. If it is the single-spider version, you will be able to see the tinsel leads woven through the black spider which will be glued directly to the frame. If you have a dual-spider version, the top spider (the one that's visible to you) will not have the tinsel leads (wires from the binding posts to the voice coil, made of woven smaller strips for greater flexibility and thus called "tinsel") woven through it. The lower one (the one nearest the motor) does have the woven tinsel leads, but you can't see it. The top spider will be glued to the black plastic spacer which is in turn glued to the lower one. The drivers have a 50% failure rate. You could use it and be fine. The problem is at higher excursions at high power. If you hear a scraping sound then there is a problem. It is going to be about 4 months (judging from what I have been told) until AE Speakers (Stryke's successor) is producing the AV series. (I like to use a lot of parentheses. (Can't you tell?))

17. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Well, I can see the leads woven into the spider so I guess I have one of the problematic drivers. Is John replacing these? Only if they fail? I'm fine with it if it doesn't fail but I tend to push my subs a bit so I'm a bit worried that in the near future it will fail.

This is the first I've heard of the defect. Does the failure occur early on or is it a ticking timebomb? The driver seems to be performing perfectly so far.

I might be screwed because I bought this driver from a friend that bought it from John.