What's new

Newbie with a Quatro 15 (1 Viewer)

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I've been lurking here for what seems to be forever. So I bought a Quatro 15 because it was on sale until about an hour ago. I also bought a port for it. I wasn't going to do anything until spring, but anyone reading this probably knows what happened over the last 24 hours or so. For those who don't, PE put the speaker on sale for its Deal of the Day. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Which is the better amp, the 300-794 or the 300-804? Or might there be a better alternative? I'm looking at building or having a 5.5 cubic foot box built. It will go in my basement, which is about 26.5 X 20. I rarely listen to anything much louder than 85 db. It will be about 12 feet from wher I usually sit and in a corner.

2. Messing around with a calculator, I figured that a box about 22 x 22x 26 would work. Am I even close. I don't know exactly how to compensate for the driver, amp and bracing.

OK. Three questions;

3. Once it's up and running, do ou think I'll notice much difference between it and my present sub (Dayton DLS 10, aka, Tiny Mity)?

As you might surmise, this is my first venture into DIY.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit

The difference will be huge. The Quatro 15" will have better low end extension, and considerably lower distortion for a given output level, and also considerably higher maximum output. Without knowing which woofer is in the DLS, we can't say for sure. But, even if it were the equivalent of a Quatro 10", it still would be capable of moving only 1/3 as much air as the 15".

Aaron Gilbert

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Thanks, guys.

A poster on the PE forum suggested this site for a box designing tool http://www.audiodiycentral.com/tools.shtml. Assuming it's accurate, it gives cut lists as well as calsulating box dimensions. It figures in bracing, but asssumes a solid brace whereas most pictures I've seen are either the mdf with holes drilled in them and cut-outs to accomodate drivers or dimension lumber. This suggested making the box about 2" taller than my original plan. The size doesn't matter so much in thebasement, but if it has to go ina living room at some point, my wife can use it as a pedistal for a vase or something. Stick a table lamp on it and - voila - instant floor lamp!

BTY, Aaron, how did you know I work for the government? Don't ask what I do, because, as a government employee, I don't know. I think that if I found out, I'd have to shoot myself or something. I did order the flared port. And I'm hardly a perfectionist. This may take a few months, because I don't like being out in the cold (I live just outsideof Detroit, MI), but this should be fun.

I hope my neighbors will like the results .:D

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Jack,

Yes, you're quite right, most braces are not just a solid piece! If they were, for one thing, you would divide your box into two sub enclosures, which you obviously don't want to do. But also, you don't need all that extra weight in the box, especially when you are making it out of MDF. You're just looking to stiffen the large panels so their resonance frequency moves up accordingly. Most commercial subs are far less elegantly braced than even the simplest DIY sub you'll see on these forums. Often they use just one or two pieces of MDF, 3/4" thick by 2" wide or so going from side to side and/or top to bottom of the cabinet.

And I didn't know you worked for the goverment. My high school chemistry teacher always used that saying in class though - 'Good enough for government work'. :)

Did you say neighbors? Hopefully not as in an apartment or condo! If so, I'm sure they won't like you! This driver can provide some serious output and wall shaking.

Aaron Gilbert

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I was waiting for the 300-804 to go on sale, but it was mentioned on the PE board that they would not be a DOTD item at this time. The 500 watt amp went on sale instead. Two of the posters on another forum strongly suggested that it was the way to go for the money $197 until 5:00 PM yesterday. Mine should be at my house by now.

NOw I gotta figure a way to get the box built. I have a funny feeling that I won't be able to wait until spring.

Incidently, I do have a house. My wife and I yell too loud at each other to have an apartment or condo.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Here is my two 15" Quatros I just built. I tried the 12.75" port and really hated the sound, it was low but very unmusical and mono toned. So I chopped the port down to 7.50" and now love the sound for movies and music. I am running one Rytmic 350w amp at 8ohm, it runs cool and still has plenty of power to drive it quite hard!

http://prosteering.8k.com/custom4.html

Wes

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Wes,

Thanks fo rposting the pics. I guess I'll have to beg, borrow, or steal a camera for when I start working on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.