What's new

Amp newbie needs help with Carver pm 1.5 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tom
I have a chance to pick up a Carver pm 1.5, SAE a202 and a Kenwood tuner. I currently have a fairly new Yamaha 367 surround receiver that runs my 5.1 home theater set up with Polk monitor 50 fronts, Polk 20 center and Streem dipolar rears with a BIC 12 inch powered sub. Is the Carver, SAE and Kenwood tuner anything I can implement into my current system and how would I do so?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Simple answer...no.
And that is because the current Yamaha AVR is too basic.
However, the 367 does have an "audio out". Have no clue if it is variable...or not(read the manual, but I doubt it is).
If you ever have a reason to replace the 367, do so with either an AVR with pre-outs or zone 2/3 with pre-outs...neither of which exists on your 367.
But, depending on "how much you can get the other stuff for"...it is worth it for a standalone 2nd system. Until you can integrate it into a "more than basic" AVR.

Real Name
Tom
That's what I thought as far as my 5.1 surround set up. So I could just hook up the Carver for my 2 mains for now? I can get all 3 components for under 200.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, SAE A202 routinely sell for $150(in beat up, but works, condition) to $300(if it looks "fresh from a box")...
The Carver PM series has decent resale. There is one on Fleabay for $200. Carvers tend to be taken care of, so a "beat up" Carver is almost never found.
That Kenwood tuner is either a "paperweight" or good...but even a "good tuner" is $40.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, what I said was "read your manual" to find out if that "audio output" is variable. If it is, yes you can hook up an amp to run a pair of speakers.
If it is not variable...then, no...you can't.
Edit:
For $200...buy that stuff. If you don't...is this anywhere near Chicago????

Real Name
Tom
He is showing pics with boxes for the carver and SAE, they look in very good condition. He seems motivated to sell so I think I'll throw an offer for $100 and go from there. I'm sure just hooking it up to my fronts would make a huge difference in listening to music. Thanks for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you need a pre-amp, lately these have been popping up...and are quite good...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KENWOOD-BASIC-C1-STEREO-CONTROL-AMPLIFIER-/261144266998?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ccd6948f6
Not as good as the C2, but the C2 commands a higher price. I sold a T2(Basic tuner) and a C2 together for $175 last year. That is how good the C2 is.
Edit:
If that ends up being a Basic tuner...hold on to it...they are commanding decent prices on their own.

Real Name
Tom
OK thanks. Will this give me a 5.1 surround set up? If not what might be a decent 5.1 tuner that would match up with the Carver and SAE?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
vthometheatergu said:
OK thanks. Will this give me a 5.1 surround set up? If not what might be a decent 5.1 tuner that would match up with the Carver and SAE?
1. No, these are stereo amps. Period.
2. 5.1 "tuner" is called a pre-pro. They cost, even used, $600+. And, like I said earlier, you can buy an AVR with pre-outs. Those start at $450. You could have bought the Yamaha RX-V667 when you bought your 367.
Go to Ebay, Amazon...wherever you wish and look at the REAR PANEL of the 367 vs the 667.
Then, hopefully, you'll see...and understand why you can't "just hook these up" to your 367.

Real Name
Tom
So if I had the RX-V667 with the pre outs I could hook up the Carver and/or SAE to the 667 and it would amplify the complete 5.1 set up?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
vthometheatergu said:
So if I had the RX-V667 with the pre outs I could hook up the Carver and/or SAE to the 667 and it would amplify the complete 5.1 set up?
1. No, and AGAIN, these are BOTH stereo(as in 2 and 2 does not equal 5) amps.
2. These would power your front 2(cause 2 equals 2/stereo)
2a. If you used both, then one would cover the front 2(cause again 2 equals stereo) and the other would cover the rear 2(as in 2, meaning stereo) leaving the 667 to power the center speaker.
So...to make this as plain as day as possible...
Carver=2
SAE=2
Yamaha 667=1
2+2+1=5.

Real Name
Tom
OK, sorry I wasn't understanding what you were saying at first. I understand these amps will greatly improve the sound quality but if I did have them pushing the fronts and rears through a 667 amp will the reproduction of sound still be a surround sound type reproduction? Or will it simply be a dual stereo reproduction with a center?

Real Name
Tom
I am seeing a yamaha rx-v1300 on craigslist, this doesn't have hdmi and currently I have an xbox, blu ray, dish etc running hdmi to my tv and I really like the convenience of this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Currently using my phone(great mobile app guys) while the better half shops for Saris on Devon.
The AVR/pre-pro covers "surround" an amp is just power for the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks