What's new

Amp for Paradigm Reference speakers??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for something used for about $500 US with about 200 W/channel. Would I be in the right ball park then?
For how many channels? That is going to be a hard find my friend for a decent Amp.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I use IRC MB-100 (Le AMP) monoblocks with my Studio 40's and CC. Though listed at 100W ( and 75W by J Curl) these 21 pound blocks are well suited for the 40's and CC.

Headroom to spare and VERY neutral. These overbuilt blocks barely get warm and can push 180W at peak times. No complaints here at all. And only $250 per block.

BOK

Brae

Supporting Actor
I am curious why no one asked WHAT Paradigm Reference speakers PhillipC was using. Offering advice for an amplifier when not knowing if the guy is using Studio 20's or Studio 100's seems a little short-sighted. I suppose one could simply suggest a 10 channel 5kW-per-channel amplifier and greatly overshoot the target to be safe (as opposed to a 2-channel 20WPC stereo amp), but ... ;)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Brae:

I am looking for an 2 channel amp for my Studio surround speakers

I'm currently using a Parasound 1000A and a NAD C270. Just looking to upgrade from these two amps

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Brae:

I am curious why no one asked WHAT Paradigm Reference speakers PhillipC was using. Offering advice for an amplifier when not knowing if the guy is using Studio 20's or Studio 100's seems a little short-sighted.
You are correct and a great point!!!

From a personal perspective suggesting the Sherbourn, ANY of the Reference Series would blend well with this amp as I've driven 20's, 40's and 100's with the amplifier and had great success. However, you nailed it with your comment.

Charles

Brae

Supporting Actor
PhillipC, are these the ADP dipoles, or the version before them? Only the current Studio surrounds are listed on Paradigm's website, and they have a maximum 130W peaks input power, although they suggest a useful range of 15-175 watts.

You can also get good feedback from their [email protected] email address (usually within two business days), and I have used this avenue many times.

BTW, I had to make that note about what Studio speakers as I didn't want to see people suggesting something that was more than necessary. For instance, I want to feed my Studio 100's with a 4-channel 275WPC QSC Audio DCA-1644 amplifier in bi-amp configuration. I'd consider this over-kill for just a pair of ADP surrounds. :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Phillip,

I have been very happy with my Parasound amps... I drive my Studio 100's with the Parasound HCA 1500.... Couldn't be happier... Plenty of head room, and warm sounding,

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I am curious why no one asked WHAT Paradigm Reference speakers PhillipC was using. Offering advice for an amplifier when not knowing if the guy is using Studio 20's or Studio 100's seems a little short-sighted.
Yes, maybe, and no. No, because all the Studio line have around the same efficiency and impedence curves. They all share the same tweeter, so will have similar "brightness" qualities. Maybe, since I think almost everyone expected he was talking about main speakers. And finally, yes, because most of these amps discussed are likely overkill for ADP's, which muddy the sound so badly that a quality amp is a waste of money! Just IMHO...

Martin.

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
Phillip:

If it is ADP, my suggestion, Parasound 1500, is overkilled. I am using Parasound 855, 5 x 85W, and found it powers the Studio ADP all right. I just don't think ADP requires 200W for surround sound, but it is your choice.

James

HankB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat as Phillip, but I have Studio 80's. Would like to spend about the same about of money. I've looked into all the brands recommended here, and I wish I liked the styling of the parasound amps better! Anyone have specific models of the above amps they would recommend for my speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks