What's new

Amish In the City (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
OK Guys --

I admit it, I watched the first 10 minutes of Amish in the City last night on UPN. For anyone who watched this, do you smell "set-up" like I do? Did it seem odd that while on the farm, the amish couple were wearing new Nikes and Nike sport socks? Did it seem strange that one of the Amish dude's was wearing a digital watch? I don't know, this show stunk to the highest order, I couldn't make it through 10 minutes, even for camp factor.

I know, I know... What was I expecting? This should would have been better if it was on Fox. :)

Doug

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I dont know, I thought the show was pretty entertaining, though I think it may have been better if they didnt force them to live with the city kids, or at least ones that didnt perfectly fit reality show stereotypes.

As far as them wearing nikes with their amish clothes, I think that makes it more believeable. If they were really dressing them up in things they wouldnt normally wear, they probably would be in only traditional clothing, shoes included.

I think the whole point of their traditional clothing is modesty, there is nothing wrong with wearing sneakers doing your farm work, if it makes for a more comfortable experience.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the show quite a bit.

I once dated a girl when I was a senior that had never been on an escalator. She did the same thing Mose did, "this thing is freaking me out".

Both sides have their share of dicks, a-holes, and obnoxiousness. Jones and Randy from the Amish side, and Nick and Reese from the city kid side. Ariel is just on her own little planet. I can't stand vegans like that that try and talk down your lifestyle inorder to defend theirs. And cows from outerspace?? She's been watching too much South Park. I loved what Mose said after they went shopping "I'm never going grocery shopping with an vegan again."

It does seem a little staged, or at least they are setting up the pieces (the cliched reality types) and hoping that they play out the way they want. Not sure where they are going to take this, so I'll watch for a couple more episodes unless it just gets boring.

On the plus side, those Amish ladies ain't half bad either.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I only caught the last 15 minutes of this episode. Seems a bit staged. I kinda got the impression the Amish were being made fun of because they are different. I will say this,I've never heard anything bad about the Amish,I can respect them for their beliefs and convictions. That said, I like the Amish girls accents:)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Their Rumspringa is the whole point of the show and is clearly explained. I think the comment about them wearing nikes was about the fact they were wearing them on the farm, before they left to begin their rumspringa.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My question is this. Are these Amish kids actually getting a real experience in the real world? I mean they are living in a mansion in LA.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the show, but I grew up in "Amish Country." In fact, I was just back there a couple of weeks ago. The Nikes and watch don't surprise me. When I was in high school, I worked summers at Hershey Park (an amusement park). On occasion, I would see the Amish kids come in their mirrored sunglasses, with their cameras, and yes, their Nikes. They do shop in stores. In fact, the Costco in Lancaster has a hitching post in their parking lot for their horse and buggies, as do other establishments.

And it seems like every fall, there is an article in the local paper about police breaking up "beer busts" held by the Amish kids on their farms. The police just chase them away. Kids will be kids . . .

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Pam,
thanks for the insight. I watched the show last night. And was suprised how easily they used curse words or smoked. And I would reiterate what I said before. I hope these Amish kids know that in the real world. You don't automatically live in mansions and get backstage passes to concerts.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Why is it that in all the reality shows the people from Boston come off as jerks? Seriously I always feel bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks