American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

"I'll take THE RAPIST for $200!"
(explained SNL joke: The category was THERAPIST)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Boring, boring, boring, boring, boring. Send 'em all home this week, just to teach 'em a lesson.

Right on with the Connery comments. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Passingly. I know one McFerrin song (any guess which one?) and a couple of Jarreau songs. If those songs are any indication, they scat. That's a far cry from beatboxing. I can appreciate a good Ella or Satch scat. Sounding like a record being scratched, not so much.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Yes i'm aware of both of those artists, but it's my opinion that Blake does his "shtick" in a manner that sounds both intrusive and unpleasant, he can't IMO do convincing or pleasing sounding instrumentals with his voice without drawing negative attention to what he's doing.

Jerreau and McFerrin do this in a much more subtle way that actually fits the flow of the song they're singing, when Blake does it it's to merely show off that he can do it.

He's doing it at the expense of the song just because he can and that's where the distinction is with me, i've yet to hear him do the beat boxing without compromising the song he's singing.

That said as a rule I don't like it when people try to do instrumentals with their voices but at least Jerreau and Mcferren do it more subtly, Blake smacks you over the head with it every chance he gets.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For those that peeked, that is an alarming DialIdol result.

Listen, I go to bed and wake up early. I rarely ever watch
the results show.

Can someone do us a favor? Post the actual bottom two tonight
when they announce the contestant going home? I really want to
see if that DialIdol was on the money, because those results are
downright scary.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm a firm believer in singing a song that represents the type of album you would release if you won. If Blake is going to do vocal persussion on most or all of his songs on an album, then I think it's quite fair, and indeed admirable for him to be doing so in the show.

That being said, i'm a huge fan of A Cappella music, stemming from my love of singing years ago. One of the better groups around is Rockapella, whom many of course know from Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? They still tour and such, though with mostly a new composition of members. However their vocal percussionist, Jeff Thatcher, is among the best in the world. Here's a clip I found (zoom to about 1:20 if you can't wait for it):

Blake's vocal percussion is definately along these lines, and though it's not everyone's cup of tea, at least he is showing the kind of artist he would be should he win. This is not to say the other artists aren't doing the same either. Just pointing out that he isn't "hiding behind it" or anything, at least in my opinion.

Either way, I think Jordin will win :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Ron, you and I think VERY much alike!

...and I can't believe that "Run To Me" is considered such an "obscure" Bee Gees song. And I am REALLY pissed that it's not available to download on iTunes! It's one of my all-time favorite songs!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Jeff Thatcher is amazing, but he uses it when appropriate. Blake still needs to learn where he should and shouldn't use it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

He does vocal percussion in almost every single song, throughout each one. The only time he actually sings is when they need 5 part harmony, or on specific parts of songs, or of course when they sing off mic. If you are refering to solos and such, then yes, he really doesn't have many and the few he has are in live versions.

I'm not the world's biggest Blake fan, but I still stand by my comment that as long as he intends to actually "do his thing" on his actual album, then his vocal percussion/beatboxing is actually quite required in his performances on the show.

I know I would personally be pissed if I was a gigantic Blake fan, and voted multiple times, based on his unique style, and then when he won, his albums sounded nothing like he did on the show. It would be like if Melinda won, and then all of her albums were Cannibal Corpse covers.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Last night was boring. Horrible all around. And that which technically wasn't 'horrible' isn't anything I would listen to anyway.

I've liked Blake for the most part, and enjoy a good beatbox now and then, but he showed last night that he only has 2 or 3 actual sounds that he can make and they get old really really fast. What makes beatboxing good is mixing it up a little. So last night really was a disappointment.

This season is as bad as the one when 'nails on a chalkboard' Fantasia won.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I tend to agree with this. I don't really care for his beat boxing thing but that's a personal preference and nothing more. The voice is an instrument after all, and if that's his way of using his voice, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Beat boxing is definitely not unique, so why the judges or anyone are calling it unique is beyond me. But in terms of the show itself, he's the only one doing it, and I think the only one on the show who is bringing even an ounce of personality to his performances. It may not always work, and for me it actually doesn't work at all because I don't like his performances, but at least he's doing it.

The one thing I like about Blake, and it's the only thing I like, is that he has the stones and ability to change arrangements of songs to suit his skills. While the others are worlds better than him vocally, they haven't shown any sign of bringing anything to the stage other than solid, faithful, and yet very boring covers of familiar tunes.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

Gawd she was TERRIBLE - I nearly swore off watching the show after she "won"... "OH-yeaaahhhhyahhhhhahahahahhhhhhh....." at the end of every damn song... absolutely repulsive. :thumbsdown:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No, there was no indication that Ryan picked them out in any particular order. He just picked the safe people one by one, but they may not necessarily have been 1-2-3 by votes. All we know is the Top 3, but not what order they finished.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Man I hope that it doesn't come down to Blake and someone else for the win, that'll be the most unbearable couple of hours i've experienced all year. :frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You should call the police now and let them know who's going to be tying you to a chair in front of a TV and taping your eyelids open on that day. ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LOL, well from what i've heard about the finale's for this show it's notorious for dragging it out until the very end and the rest is all filler, so I might just DVR it and then skip right to the end. I refuse to play Ryan's game. ;)

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

We ReplayTV everything - with commercial advance - I can't stand commercials or Ryan's schilling... About the only thing we watch live is the odd special TV show or NASCAR race in HD (no HD DVR just yet) and then just the big ones like Daytona. BTW - I thought tonight's performances (yes all of them - everybody's) sucked too. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They seemed to be having some technical difficulties, so it may not have been all on the vocalists. The sound seemed kind of muddled all night. And they forgot to even turn on their mics at the start of the medley.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegisav
Recent bookmarks