What's new

American Idol - Season 11 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
No one else cares that Skylar was voted off? Because I am pretty content with the season now. I mean, it was no shocking Colton Dixon boot, but all the contestants I cannot stand are gone now, although I'm starting to find Joshua is a bit irritating (but it's like comparing a jalapeno to a ghost pepper -- I'll live).

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm not a fan of Skyler but I find Joshua more annoying. I'm not sure whether it's all his fault or if the judges and their constant standing ovations for him have something to do with it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
His voice is really screechy and he uses the same style for all his songs so it all runs together.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I did rather like Skylar, I liked her spunk (and don't read anything more into that...)

I'd agree about Joshua, if anything sometimes his performance is rather OTT, to the point of grating.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I don't care too much for most country, but I didn't think that Skylar was a decent performer and had a lot of energy on stage.
However, it was cringe worthy to hear her sing "Fortunate Son" and obviously had no idea what the song was about or didn't care. It's not a song for her to run around stage and do the sassy thing.
She could have done any number of CCR songs that would have worked well with country and she would have done a better job with Proud Mary as well.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming /t/317806/american-idol-season-11/180#post_3923222
I did rather like Skylar, I liked her spunk (and don't read anything more into that...)

I'd agree about Joshua, if anything sometimes his performance is rather OTT, to the point of grating.
Yes, she was spunky (not reading anything into that at all!) and a decent stage performer which is more than I can say for Jessica and Hollie. I still like AI, but this year they each seem to sing every song the exact same way so they all come off as one trick ponies to me. On top of that, and to throw in a Spinal Tap reference, they all sing with the volume at 11 most of the time. Too much shouting, too much screeching.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Skylar sounded like Fran Drescher singing country. The constant yelling got on my last nerve.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Skylar will have the biggest career out of anyone this season. I like Hollie but she does not have the stage presence to go with her voice. Philip Philips is the second coming of Lee Dewyze, who is currently challenging Taylor Hicks for the biggest post-Idol career plummet. Joshua is very talented but he has a retro vibe to him that seems out of step with what's selling (or being downloaded) now. Could definitely see him in Vegas in some kind of oldies tribute show, or in a Jackie Wilson bio-pic. Jessica just doesn't do anything for me, and her altar-ego BB Chez nonsense is what gets on my last nerve. Before you start on that kind of ego trip I think you should have actually accomplished something in music - and even then it's not a great idea (see Garth Brooks and Chris Gaines).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"BB Chez?"
I guess I must have missed something. I have no idea what you're talking about, but from what you wrote, I'm glad! :)

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Aaron Silverman said:
"BB Chez?"
I guess I must have missed something. I have no idea what you're talking about, but from what you wrote, I'm glad! :)
In a couple of her interview packages, Jessica compared herself to Beyonce (who apparently has an alter-ego now named Sasha Fierce - I thought that was just a title of her CD, but whatever). She then said she has her own alter-ego for harder-edged performances, named BB Chez.
Probably more than you wanted to know.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Well, Holly really blew it last night for sure, I was very disappointed. By now, she should have a very firm grasp on her vocal talent and know what she can and can't do for the best performance. I think Randy summed it up the best, with her type of voice she should never be doing the subdued songs like Bonnie Rait when her vocal range can be so much more bold. Holly really is a VERY good singer, but she just seems to lack the understanding of her talent and the confidence is not there like Jessica. I do think she is just as good as Jessica, but just doesn't come across that way.
My predictions are: Holly and Phillip in the bottom two tonight. Holly will be the one going home though.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't think it could be possible, but Phillip had the best performance all year. Volcano sounded like the work of a real artist and not OTT harpies trying to bludgeon you with their vocal prowess. You could argue that other singers had more technically impressive performances, but there was not a single moment this season more genuine and emotionally visceral than Phillip had last night.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, Hollie sang the most ironic song of the night if she goes home tonight.
To me, Joshua is like Juliet Sims (from the Voice), totally rocks the live performance aspect, but not sure if that will translate in the recording studio.
Jessica comes across like a 12-year pageant contestant in a 16-year old body on AI.
Philip is just Philip, what you see (and hear) is what you get. Earnest performances will be his staple, even with a limited vocal range, but he has shown sparks of genuine musical artistry in channeling them through his performances.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Jessica's I'm Telling You had absolutely zero believability. Also, she cribbed so much of it from Jennifer Hudson that it was terribly unoriginal and didn't really sound like Jessica Sanchez.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Hanson, I agree about Jessica. I still contend that aside from Phillip, the rest of them frequently sing too loudly and to the point where it's shrill. I liked Joshua's James Brown cover, but it still was pretty much like every other performance he's given. The only song I liked tonight was Phillip's Volcano cover. He sounds better when he's not doing his Dave Matthews imitation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Celtics game last night was way too exciting to bother with the results show. However, I think I might be in the running for WORST SCORE EVAR in the HTF AI Challenge! Anyone know the record?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/317806/american-idol-season-11/180#post_3924872
The Celtics game last night was way too exciting to bother with the results show. However, I think I might be in the running for WORST SCORE EVAR in the HTF AI Challenge! Anyone know the record?

Can't say I know exactly what it is offhand, but I seem to recall it's around 35 or 36. Which you could easily hit if Joshua wins this (costing you 9 pts)...

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Not to derail the thread but I need to mention this.
After watching AI and The Voice this season, I realized last night that American Idol sucks in comparison. The Voice is a better show and avoids the pitfalls of AI (namely a terrible host, lame critiques and the use of a record executive to give them "help.") The talent on The Voice is better by a mile, too.
I don't care who wins -- not a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks