What's new

American Idol - Season 11 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sic Semper Douchebagis!

That was right up there with Constantine and Daughtry.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hanson you aren't the only one.he did nothing for me. At least we got to see his beautiful sister and her red hair one last time.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hanson, gotta agree with you about Phillip not giving a hoot about whatever the judges/Jimmy advise him on, he just does what he does, for better or worse.

Colton's sing-out was just so emo, singing while on his knees and all that. Interestingly, Phillip seemed rather overcome during Colton's sing-out, but since Colton was the only other mid-20s guy in the contest, and they both seem like fairly nice guys (notwithstanding Colton's douchey on-stage persona and Phillip's spazzy one), I'd guess they were pretty close offstage.

I'd speculate, with Phillip being the only WG left, he's likely to win most of Colton's fanbase, and that should now make him a firm favourite for the finale, if not outright winner. Meanwhile 3 teenage girls have to fight for fans (although Skylar has a separate country fanbase). Elise has always struggled for fans, and I'd guess she's going next week. Joshua is perhaps the unpredictable one: he's been in the bottom 3 before, and recently too, but on the other hand he rather stands alone in terms of what kind of fans he would attract and doesn't compete with anyone else for the same fans.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
McPaul said:
Ilike hollie here as well. very talented signer and I do hope she goes far in the competition. I think though that they're bang on about her not being able to connect with a song's emotion or power. and this shows when she's on tv. so this leaves her technical ability only, and if she makes any little mistake, it will be magnified because she's a "technical singer" and the Judges will be all over it.
Maybe, but I like her too and I'm glad she's outlasting some of the so-called favorites. Hollie doesn't over-sing as much as Jessica (IMO) and she has very powerful instrument. She also has a cute accent and great legs. Not that that would influence my vote, of course.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Glad to see Colton go, though clearly not as happy as Hanson :)

I'm also glad that Hollie is still around. I think think she's actually a better singer than Jessica, who annoys me to no end. The judges (producers? Jimmy?) have, like every season before this one, picked their favourites, and it affects their feedback. At least the judging on SYTYCD is somewhat honest in this regard.

Maybe the judges/Jimmy could properly tell which notes are off-pitch if they took off those shitty Beats headsets :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
So...

I was a bit disappointed that Brian and Roger didn't actually "mentor" the performers, or if they did it wasn't shown. Not that there wasn't enough time...

Skylar was REALLY a lot better than I expected.

The second half of the show was a snoozefest.

Looking forward to catching Queen Extravaganza on the results show tonight. And SO hoping they do "Somebody To Love!"

Here's when the lead singer appeared on Ellen: if that performance especially at the bridge (1:10) doesn't knock your socks off, nothing will!

Marc Martel Performs 'Somebody to Love' - YouTube

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I really only liked Phillips Fat Bottomed Girls choice. The rest were meh.

The show is much better when they focus on the contestants and not Jimmy. The reason I don't like the Voice is because they spend too much time with the Celebrity mentors and too little with the actual contestants. Same with XFactor (actually, it's even worse on XFactor). I actually laughed at a lot of the comments they made about each other.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I do like that Jimmy is more candid than the "judges"
I can't think of a less accurate title for those 3 than judge.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe Elise lasted as long as she did! Didn't really like Skylar's Queen song performance, not really up her alley. I think Hollie's performances are getting better, she's becoming more confident, but I doubt she'll get into the final four.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Now that Colton is gone and I skip over Skylar's performances, the show is a whole lot better.

Once again, DVR saves the day.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Did they pick their own Queen songs? I thought Ryan said something at the end of the first hour along the lines of "coming up. . .the contestants choose their own songs!"

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They ostensibly pick their own songs (I say ostensibly because sometimes two contestants want the same song or sometimes the producers suggest a different song). I think what Ryan was trying to express is that the second song was a theme free pick.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Queen usually makes for a great week, and I suppose this was no different. That fellow in Queen Extravaganza really does sound a bit like Freddie Mercury, but he's got a long way to go before he even comes close to matching Freddie's stage presence, though. I thought it amusing that one of the guitarists was playing what looked like a replica of Brian May's 'Red Special', which as most fans know Brian built himself, hence it's quite literally one-of-a-kind and you can't buy one in a guitar store.

As an aside, assuming there are any guitarists out there watching AI and reading this thread, I thought the guitarist playing with Elise on her second song was playing a Fender Strat, but the headstock looked like it was from a Telecaster? Any thoughts? (I'd guess he swapped the neck of a Tele and put it on a Strat body.)

The top-3 bottom-3 split wasn't really surprising. Philip's fanbase seems to be rock-solid, he can do no wrong by them even though he had a middling week IMHO. Considering voting patterns of the audience demographic and her 'regular trips to the bottom 3', I think Hollie is next to go. After that, it gets a bit tricky trying to predict anything, although with Jessica having once finished dead last if her core fans don't 'get out the vote' she might be next. With Skylar, amongst those left I think she'll be the one who 'inherits' the most of Elise's fans, which should keep her going just a bit longer despite her bottom 3 appearances, but by now it's looking more likely to be a Phillip v. Joshua finale.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If Marc Martel had thicker, longer hair he's be a perfect "News of the World"-era Freddie. He's a got a great voice and is obviously talented but you are right, Yee-Ming, on the stage presence part. Although I never saw Queen perform "Somebody To Love" live (they inexplicably dropped one of their strongest live performances by the time I got to see them), the arrangement that QE used was phenomenal!

The rest of the show...meh.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
EricSchulz said:
If Marc Martel had thicker, longer hair he's be a perfect "News of the World"-era Freddie.  He's a got a great voice and is obviously talented but you are right, Yee-Ming, on the stage presence part. Although I never saw Queen perform "Somebody To Love" live (they inexplicably dropped one of their strongest live performances by the time I got to see them), the arrangement that QE used was phenomenal!
The rest of the show...meh.
Martel didn't seem to be as relaxed vocally - he's sung that song much better... perhaps the big show tensed him up a bit...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yee-Ming said:
I thought it amusing that one of the guitarists was playing what looked like a replica of Brian May's 'Red Special', which as most fans know Brian built himself, hence it's quite literally one-of-a-kind and you can't buy one in a guitar store.
Sure you can! :)
http://www.amazon.com/Brian-May-Guitars-Signature-Electric/dp/B001G7J84K
Yee-Ming said:
As an aside, assuming there are any guitarists out there watching AI and reading this thread, I thought the guitarist playing with Elise on her second song was playing a Fender Strat, but the headstock looked like it was from a Telecaster?  Any thoughts?  (I'd guess he swapped the neck of a Tele and put it on a Strat body.)
There are a million different guitars from all sorts of manufacturers that are modeled to some extent after one or more of the classics. Could you see a Fender logo on the headstock? I didn't see that performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks