What's new

AMC Best Picture Movie Marathon (1 Viewer)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
AMC is running a marathon of the best picture nominees for 2007 on Feburary 24th, starting at 11a.m. The cost is $30 for the day, for that you get:

Admission for all five films
A large popcorn
A large soda
Collectible pass (while supplies last)

Breaking that down, that's $6 per show, which considering admission and concession prices, it's a steal.

Here's the link:

http://www.amctheatres.com/promos/showcase/

I wonder if I can actually make it, watching five movies back to back...oh well, only one way to find out...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am curious to see how succesful this turns out to be: The kind of people who would be willing to sit thru 5 movies in a row have already seen the BP noms...

--
H

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've actually seen only one of the five (Little Miss Sunshine). In previous years, I've made a point of watching all the Best Picture Nominees, but I was going to just skip it this year because I'm really not all that interested in most of them. This seems like it would be a fun thing to do, though, so I might watch them after all.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, probably. I might've done this except I'd already seen three of the five when I heard about it - and was about to see the fourth! I do love AMC though - their MovieWatcher plan is great!

And I took in Letters yesterday, so now I've seen all five nominees! :D

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

Speaking of that movie watcher plan - I actually don't know what it is. Can someone explain? I really feel stupid having to ask, but for whatever reason - usually in a rush, I never even go up to the ticket teller anymore - I just get the tickets with the old credit card at the kiosks. So I've never had the opportunity to ask about the program. Anyway, thanks in advance.

As far as the 5 best picture movies back to back - well I've already seen 4 of the films and I don't think I could sit through 5 in a row anyway. I can do 3, but that's about my limit. But it's a great idea for someone who can screen that many movies in a row.

Cheers,

Jason

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It's a movie version of a frequent flier program. For every 10 points, you get a reward. One movie = 2 points, but I don't think you can get points for anything else (concession purchases, gift cards, etc.) - just movies, and you're restricted to 4 points every 3 hours. I'm sure that rule exists because otherwise guys like me would stand near the ticket kiosks and swipe their cards before anyone buys something - I'd end up getting 100 points a day!:D

Anyway, the reward schedule follows:

At 10, 40, 70 points: free small popcorn
At 20, 50, 80 points: free small drink
At 30, 60, 90 points: free movie or free large popcorn and large drink

You can pay to upgrade the small popcorn or drink at those reward levels.

At 100 points, you get a "free night at the movies". That's a free movie plus a free small popcorn and small drink.

Once you pass 100 points, the rewards repeat themselves at the same intervals. That means 110/210/310 = small popcorn, etc. That makes it easy to remember where you are.

In addition to these rewards, there are some other benefits:

-If you buy tickets online, MovieWatcher members get the $1/ticket fee waived

-On Wednesdays, you get free small popcorn with paid admission. That goes for other tickets as well, though I'm not sure what'd happen if you had more than 2 people in your group; I've never gone with more than one friend, so I don't know if the free popcorn is limited to the two tickets that earn points.

-They always send out coupons for free popcorn with drink purchase for Mon/Tues/Thurs. The Weds. free popcorn is COMPLETELY free with ticket purchase - no strings attached. The other three days requires a drink purchase, though small is fine - they don't require a large drink.

I think that's it. I really like the plan - it's earned me all sorts of free stuff for movies I'd see anyway, and it's also made me very brand loyal to AMC. Of course, since AMC is the closest theater to me anyway, this isn't an effort, but I still think it's an excellent bonus.

After about 18 months of membership, I'm up to 148 points! I was impressed with myself until I saw a receipt for a member with 1004 points! :eek:

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
So do I have to order my ticket in advance or can I just show up and hope there are tickets available?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Well, Chucky, I think it depends on how badly you want to go. If you see waiting and there being the possibility of it being sold out as an acceptable risk, then by all means wait.

But, if you really, really, REALLY want to go, you may want to buy your ticket now rather than later.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I gotta say, I'd be very surprised if this sold out. As others have noted, the kinds of movie geeks willing to spend 10+ hours watching five flicks back to back have probably already seen the movies on their own! I'd be very curious to know how this stunt does. It's a cool idea, but I can't imagine it's going to attract swarms of moviegoers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks