What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't thinking there'd be a dramatic drop in price. I don't know if it varies by location but I believe it's $22 around me and I was thinking that it could go down to $20 when they reopen.

Maybe. Not sure that'd make any difference in subscriptions, though. It's not like people who balked at $22 would go for it at $20!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wouldn’t be surprised if A-List drops to $9.99 a month for a year or so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Fair. But I don't think they would be able to sustain that, and they want to be careful about hooking people on something they can't continue to provide.

Remember, $9.99 is the price point that killed Movie Pass. (Of course, they didn't get any concession money because they were a middleman and had to pay full price for tickets...but still.)

Maybe I'm optimistic, but I think people will return to theaters when it is safe for the right movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That’s really sad.

Relevant point.

“Based on our view that theaters will be closed until at least August and our belief that AMC lacks the liquidity to stay afloat during that time, we expect the company will soon be faced with filing for bankruptcy,” Handler wrote. “Further fueling our liquidity concerns is AMC’s decision to stop paying rents to landlords.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've got to be honest here. That would make me a whole lot sadder if AMC as a cooperation had treated me respectfully over the past few years.

It's sad that any theater chain is facing bankruptcy because I believe the continued existence of movie theaters is important. Certainly, the employees at AMC when I used to go there prior to their redesign were great and I hope that they have jobs to return to when this is over. I wish nothing but the best for AMC's low-level staff.

But the news of AMC, in particular, facing bankruptcy makes me feel less bad than I would for any other chain, because of the corporate-level decision to regulate wheelchair seating to the back row at my location (and other locations that are getting a remodel.) Despite the niceness and professionalism of the people I interacted with, the remodel (which is above their pay grade) makes their chain useless to me. So I wouldn't really feel all that bad if AMC folded, because of how badly they have treated their customers with wheelchairs.

That's just me, informed by my experience, and others who have been able to have a better experience at AMC are sure to disagree.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just because they file for bankruptcy doesn't mean the theaters won't reopen under a reorg or something like that.

Some of their locations won't reopen. I think that's a fact. But AMC gone completely? Nah.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just because they file for bankruptcy doesn't mean the theaters won't reopen under a reorg or something like that.

Some of their locations won't reopen. I think that's a fact. But AMC gone completely? Nah.
I think we all realize that as it will be a much slower death, if death comes at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Certainly, the employees at AMC when I used to go there prior to their redesign were great and I hope that they have jobs to return to when this is over. I wish nothing but the best for AMC's low-level staff.
Those are basically the only people I feel bad for with all the inevitable upcoming loss of jobs in all areas.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There a some theories that studios will come together to bail AMC out, the studios wouldn't be able to survive without suddenly missing a partner as big as AMC.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Illegal. Studios can't own theaters!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...theaters-with-u-s-move-to-end-antitrust-order
"
The largest publicly traded cinema chains rose Tuesday after the U.S. Justice Department said it will ask a court to terminate a 70-year-old antitrust settlement that barred Hollywood studios from owning theaters or trying to force movie houses to play films they didn’t want.

The agreements, known as the Paramount Pictures consent decrees, no longer serve the public interest, Makan Delrahim, the head of the department’s antitrust division, said in a speech in Washington Monday."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Monopolies are back, baby!

VmkxcsJ.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An article speculating on Amazon buying AMC or at least having a stake in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks