What's new

Am I being scammed by fake Apple email? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
hey guys, I got an email titled Apple ID. It says I need to review my case ID, # blah, blah, blah.

I'm supposed to follow a link to resolve my case to verify or my account will be terminated. I'm 99.9999% sure this is a phishing scam.

I'm partly unsure because I happened to use my Apple Pay tonight. I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence. But I'm curious if anyone here has seen anything like this.

Thanks!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I get a variation of that occasionally -- frequently on emails I don't even have an Apple ID so it's pretty easy. I guess you could check with Apple Directly, but certainly don't click through the email

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
This is "phishing" e-mail. The "follow the link or else" is a dead giveaway. If you are worried at all that this might be legitimate mail from Apple, contact them separately, using their well-known (phone # / e-mail / Web form) and making sure NOT to rely on any link or contact information in the suspect e-mail.

Scammers have been sending these kinds of e-mails with other companies' names attached for a while.

There are also fake survey scams where you are asked to click a link to rate a product or service you recently bought. Presumably the site at the other end of the link tries to collect your personal data for use in identity fraud, or to infect your machine with malware. I have received a lot of these scam messages, and most of them claim to be from well-known companies. Unfortunately for the criminals, I am suspicious of all spam, and especially spam claiming that I did business with some company that I did not recently do any business with.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the confirmation. I'll delete the email. I can tell the fakes usually. But I'd never gotten one from someone claiming to be Apple before, so it was a new one.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks