What's new

Alvin, Mr. Magoo, Felix the Cat and other missing cartoons? (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I believe all of the vintage cartoons in the HB catalogue aired at one time on Cartoon Network, so I doubt there are elements issues.
Neil,

Yes, they all had been (except Jana of the Jungle was never re-ran on Cartoon Network in the US, nor had the 1980-81 version of The Flintstone Comedy Show in its entirety, but only as individual segments, as part of Back to Bedrock).

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Here's what I know: BCI released a Beetle Bailey "Complete" 390 minute collection back in 2006. I think two Alvin show episodes have been released on Alvin and the Chipmunks DVDs that feature later produced cartoons. Those DVDs have high list prices and not much content so I have avoided them. It would be great to see the rest of Huckleberry Hound, but I am not sure how much demand there is for it. As it its, there are over four discs worth of material in the Volume 1 release. I think Paramount owns the Terrytoons library and hasn't shown much interest in it. A few original Mighty Mouse cartoons came out on the DVD of the 80s version. Personally, I would love a Deputy Dawg release, but here has not been anything released since the VHS days. As far as I know, Quick Draw McGraw has music rights issues on some of the episodes. I don't think that there are any legal hold ups on the Wally Gator Show cartoons, but Warner Archive's release of Hanna Barbera has virtually ceased.

Regarding the "King Features Trilogy" -- the entire collection of 150 cartoons has been released, but not all in one place! Here is what I learned in my efforts to track them down:

The complete Beetle Bailey (50 cartoons) has been released a couple times, also including a later unrelated animated TV special from the 1980s.

All 50 Snuffy Smith cartoons were released as part of a BCI omnibus set called "Cartoon Megapack," which also included segments of "Beetle Bailey," "Krazy Kat" and various other King Features series episodes and specials.

Krazy Kat is all over the place, but they all have been released. 27 of the 50 cartoons are on the "Cartoon Megapack" set, which overlaps with the (incomplete) Koch Vision Krazy Kat 2-DVD set released in 2003, but there are some cartoons unique to each. Between them, these two releases cover 46 out of the 50. (The Koch Vision set includes 39 out of 50.) The four missing cartoons are on an old Rhino DVD called "Sunday Morning Funnies," along with more duplicate Krazy Kat and Snuffy Smith shorts. It would have made a lot more sense to have released each of the three as a complete series, but, well, maybe that would have made too much sense.

The first episode of "The Alvin Show" was released along with a couple later 1980s Chipmunk episodes on a DVD called "The Very First Alvin Show." Later, they released another DVD just called "The Alvin Show," repeating the first episode and adding two more shows. But the closing credits are missing from all three episodes. The first episode has the full closing on the earlier DVD.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Regarding the "King Features Trilogy" -- the entire collection of 150 cartoons has been released, but not all in one place! Here is what I learned in my efforts to track them down:

The complete Beetle Bailey (50 cartoons) has been released a couple times, also including a later unrelated animated TV special from the 1980s.

All 50 Snuffy Smith cartoons were released as part of a BCI omnibus set called "Cartoon Megapack," which also included segments of "Beetle Bailey," "Krazy Kat" and various other King Features series episodes and specials.

Krazy Kat is all over the place, but they all have been released. 27 of the 50 cartoons are on the "Cartoon Megapack" set, which overlaps with the (incomplete) Koch Vision Krazy Kat 2-DVD set released in 2003, but there are some cartoons unique to each. Between them, these two releases cover 46 out of the 50. (The Koch Vision set includes 39 out of 50.) The four missing cartoons are on an old Rhino DVD called "Sunday Morning Funnies," along with more duplicate Krazy Kat and Snuffy Smith shorts. It would have made a lot more sense to have released each of the three as a complete series, but, well, maybe that would have made too much sense.

The first episode of "The Alvin Show" was released along with a couple later 1980s Chipmunk episodes on a DVD called "The Very First Alvin Show." Later, they released another DVD just called "The Alvin Show," repeating the first episode and adding two more shows. But the closing credits are missing from all three episodes. The first episode has the full closing on the earlier DVD.

What does the BCI cartoon megapack look like? I wasn't able to find it on the net.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Krazy Kat breakdown:

K = Krazy Kat Kartoon Kollection (Koch)
C = Cartoon Megapack (BCI)
S = Sunday Morning Funnies (Rhino)

(*short main title, no credits, no end title)

Keeping Up With Krazy (K)
Mouse Blanche (C, *S)
Housewarming (K)
Quickest Brick In The West (C, K)
Sea Sore (K)
Sporting Chance (*S)
Fizzical Fitness (K)
Monument To A Mouse (K)
Looney Park (K)
Network Nitwit (C, K)
Road To Ruin (*S)
There Auto Be A Law (C, *S)
Earth Worm Turns, The (C, *S)
Pilgrim's Regress (C, *S)
Duel Personality (K)
Purloined Persian, The (K)
Happy Daze (K)
Malicious Mousechief (C, °S)
(°has main title sequence but additional names are added as "gang credits" on a cross-faded video screen, possibly an artifact from a past VHS release)
Arrow Escape, An (C, K)
Desert Island, The (C, K)
Frozen Feud (C, K)
How To Win A Mouse (K)
Bungle In The Jungle (K)
Arty Smarty (C, K)
Stoned Through The Ages (K)
Castle Hassle (C, K)
Krazy's Krismas (C, K)
Carnival Capers (C, K)
Alp Wanted (C, K)
Big And Little (K)
Krazy And The Krooked Kaper (C, K)
Kat's Tale, A (C, *S)
Adman On The Loose (*S)
Folly The Leader (*S)
Series-Ous Business (K)
No Such Luck (K)
Collector's Item (C, K)
Dreams Of Glory (C, K)
Kat's Pajamas, The (C, K) (fades up late)
Monumental Love (C, K)
World's Fair, The (C, K)
Tourist Attacktion (C, K)
Mt. Never-Rest (C, *S)
Star Is Born, A (C, K)
Odd For Art's Sake (K)
Don't Call Us We'll Call You (K)
Potions Of Love (K)
Southern Hospitality (C, K)
My Fair Ignatz (K)
Safari (C, K)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I clicked on the link and they list contents of the discs but no mention of Snuffy Smith.

They are on Disc 4 but listed as "Barney Google." The series is actually called "Snuffy Smith And Barney Google." I always thought it was odd for Snuffy to get "top billing" because I remember the newspaper comic strip being called "Barney Google And Snuffy Smith."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks