Alvin, Mr. Magoo, Felix the Cat and other missing cartoons?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael Alden, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

A couple of these were announced and then withdrawn, like Mr. Magoo, Wally Gator (with Lippy the Lion and Touche Turtle) and Marvel Superheroes. No word on them since. Also, where are:

Quick Draw McGraw
    Peter Potamus
    Deputy Dawg
    Casper the Friendly Ghost
    Tom Terrific
    Hercules
    Felix the Cat
    Beetle Bailey
    Snuffy Smith
    QT Hush
    Dodo the Kid from Outer Space
    Crusader Rabbit (the original Jay Ward black and whites)
    Mighty Mouse
    Spunky and Tadpole

2. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I'd like to see Chilly Willy get a release too. Universal had a flyer once that said Woody Woodpecker would be coming soon but nothing ever came of it.

Paul

3. Nick_Feduccia

On the Wally Gator issue, WHV went back and looked at the original masters of the show and saw what bad shape the episodes were in. They decided to pull the release from the schedule indefinitely so that they can do some intensive restoration efforts. Its not completely canceled just postponed indefintely (or at least that's what they said in at the chat two months ago).

But the good people at the WHV animation dept. substituted Magilla Gorilla in place of Wally for the time being.

4. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    20 Beetle Bailey shorts and 20 Snuffy Smith Shorts are on BCI's Animated All-Stars which can be had for under 6 dollars. Other series presented on this sampler such as The New Adventures of Flash Gordon, Legend of Prince Valiant, and Defenders of the Earth either have or will be getting complete season/series releases so a complete collection may be possible.

Which Felix are you talking about? There is a silent collection from Image and I think Thunderbean is working on something, previously they had a DVD-R. Also there is one single disc release of The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat from the 80's and I have one single disc release from the 50's version. I know there are several PD collections as well but nothing definitive.

I believe Casper has tons of single disc releases, but I never bought these. There was suppose to be a Harveytoons boxset last year and was mysteriously cancelled much like Magoo, that seems to be coming out this October.

I do not remember where I read it but I believe I read that the 60's Hercules series was coming to DVD but they altered the theme song.

Quick Draw was announced with Wally Gator and cancellled, If one were to make it to DVD before the other I would think it would be Quick Draw McGraw.

I am waiting for Woody too.

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Beetle Bailey and Snuffy Smith ran with Krazy Kat as King Features Trilogy. The complete Krazy Kat cartoons were put out by Koch a few years ago. Surprising they didn't do the other two as they were always syndicated together.

The Felix I'm talking about are the 260 done by Trans-Lux (same company as Hercules) in the early 60s. I wonder where the rights are for those as Trans-Lux has long been out of the television business.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Would love to see the original ALVIN series from the 1960s. Would music rights be the problem with a release?

7. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Sony Wonder released a single DVD of this Felix. I believe they are the ones that have the Hercules series.

8. Nick_Feduccia

I'm not sure if music rights would be an issue is the 60s Chipmunks, but it would most definitely would be for the 80s version. I recently dug into my tape collection and found a video of the show that my mom bought me when I was like 6 to show to my nieces and nephews (yeah right!). While watching the tape I was amazed at the amount of hugely popular song that were used. Songs that I'm sure the rights to are not cheap. Every half-hour episode contained two seperate cartoons in which one or two songs were performed. So that was at least 3 or 4 songs an episode. That would cost a pretty penny. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would take some finagling.

9. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Felix, I believe, belongs to "Classic Media." They released a single disc collection several years ago which is a sampler only, but does include some vintage Felix TV promos and a few foreign-language versions of the opening song. I believe CM owns Hercules as well.

"Snuffy Smith And Barney Google" (which is how they were billed in the titles), "Beetle Bailey" and "Krazy Kat" were part of the syndicated "King Features Trilogy," at least up until the 1980s. However, there was a split somewhere down the line because at one point in Chicago, WGN was running "Snuffy" and "Beetle Bailey" (they aired them on "The Bozo Show") and at the same time, WPWR-TV was running "Krazy Kat" separately. I believe "King Features Trilogy" was one of those "in-house" umbrella titles which I don't think was ever used on the air. King Features/Hearst should own these. A bunch of them have come out on DVD in various packages as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Are you sure the Krazy Kat DVD collection is actually complete? How many KKs are there?

10. AndySvn

AndySvn Agent

FYI: The Dick Tracy Cartoon Show is scheduled for September 26 (according to Amazon) and is up for pre-order. Considering the characterizations of Joe Jitsu and Go-Go Gomez this collection might get held up (shades of the Mr. Magoo TV show box set 2 years ago).

11. Matthew Green

Matthew Green Stunt Coordinator

All I'm waiting for is the Marvel Superheros one. I've played the 1966 Spiderman ones to death already.