What's new

Alvin, Mr. Magoo, Felix the Cat and other missing cartoons? (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
A couple of these were announced and then withdrawn, like Mr. Magoo, Wally Gator (with Lippy the Lion and Touche Turtle) and Marvel Superheroes. No word on them since. Also, where are:

Quick Draw McGraw
Peter Potamus
Deputy Dawg
Casper the Friendly Ghost
Tom Terrific
Hercules
Felix the Cat
Beetle Bailey
Snuffy Smith
QT Hush
Dodo the Kid from Outer Space
Crusader Rabbit (the original Jay Ward black and whites)
Mighty Mouse
Spunky and Tadpole

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see Chilly Willy get a release too. Universal had a flyer once that said Woody Woodpecker would be coming soon but nothing ever came of it.

Paul

On the Wally Gator issue, WHV went back and looked at the original masters of the show and saw what bad shape the episodes were in. They decided to pull the release from the schedule indefinitely so that they can do some intensive restoration efforts. Its not completely canceled just postponed indefintely (or at least that's what they said in at the chat two months ago).

But the good people at the WHV animation dept. substituted Magilla Gorilla in place of Wally for the time being.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
20 Beetle Bailey shorts and 20 Snuffy Smith Shorts are on BCI's Animated All-Stars which can be had for under 6 dollars. Other series presented on this sampler such as The New Adventures of Flash Gordon, Legend of Prince Valiant, and Defenders of the Earth either have or will be getting complete season/series releases so a complete collection may be possible.

Which Felix are you talking about? There is a silent collection from Image and I think Thunderbean is working on something, previously they had a DVD-R. Also there is one single disc release of The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat from the 80's and I have one single disc release from the 50's version. I know there are several PD collections as well but nothing definitive.

I believe Casper has tons of single disc releases, but I never bought these. There was suppose to be a Harveytoons boxset last year and was mysteriously cancelled much like Magoo, that seems to be coming out this October.

I do not remember where I read it but I believe I read that the 60's Hercules series was coming to DVD but they altered the theme song.

Quick Draw was announced with Wally Gator and cancellled, If one were to make it to DVD before the other I would think it would be Quick Draw McGraw.

I am waiting for Woody too.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Beetle Bailey and Snuffy Smith ran with Krazy Kat as King Features Trilogy. The complete Krazy Kat cartoons were put out by Koch a few years ago. Surprising they didn't do the other two as they were always syndicated together.

The Felix I'm talking about are the 260 done by Trans-Lux (same company as Hercules) in the early 60s. I wonder where the rights are for those as Trans-Lux has long been out of the television business.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Would love to see the original ALVIN series from the 1960s. Would music rights be the problem with a release?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Sony Wonder released a single DVD of this Felix. I believe they are the ones that have the Hercules series.

I'm not sure if music rights would be an issue is the 60s Chipmunks, but it would most definitely would be for the 80s version. I recently dug into my tape collection and found a video of the show that my mom bought me when I was like 6 to show to my nieces and nephews (yeah right!). While watching the tape I was amazed at the amount of hugely popular song that were used. Songs that I'm sure the rights to are not cheap. Every half-hour episode contained two seperate cartoons in which one or two songs were performed. So that was at least 3 or 4 songs an episode. That would cost a pretty penny. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would take some finagling.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Felix, I believe, belongs to "Classic Media." They released a single disc collection several years ago which is a sampler only, but does include some vintage Felix TV promos and a few foreign-language versions of the opening song. I believe CM owns Hercules as well.

"Snuffy Smith And Barney Google" (which is how they were billed in the titles), "Beetle Bailey" and "Krazy Kat" were part of the syndicated "King Features Trilogy," at least up until the 1980s. However, there was a split somewhere down the line because at one point in Chicago, WGN was running "Snuffy" and "Beetle Bailey" (they aired them on "The Bozo Show") and at the same time, WPWR-TV was running "Krazy Kat" separately. I believe "King Features Trilogy" was one of those "in-house" umbrella titles which I don't think was ever used on the air. King Features/Hearst should own these. A bunch of them have come out on DVD in various packages as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Are you sure the Krazy Kat DVD collection is actually complete? How many KKs are there?

AndySvn

Agent
FYI: The Dick Tracy Cartoon Show is scheduled for September 26 (according to Amazon) and is up for pre-order. Considering the characterizations of Joe Jitsu and Go-Go Gomez this collection might get held up (shades of the Mr. Magoo TV show box set 2 years ago).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
So, what became of these cartoons? I really thought by now we would have gotten at least some of them officially released:

Quick Draw McGraw
Wally Gator, Touche Turtle, Lippy The Lion
Remainder of Huckleberry Hound
Deputy Dawg
Tom Terrific
Remainder of Mighty Hercules
Remainder of Felix the Cat
Beetle Bailey
Snuffy Smith
QT Hush
Dodo the Kid from Outer Space
Crusader Rabbit (the original Jay Ward black and whites)
Mighty Mouse
Spunky and Tadpole
The Alvin Show
Eighth Man
The Amazing Three

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Here's what I know: BCI released a Beetle Bailey "Complete" 390 minute collection back in 2006. I think two Alvin show episodes have been released on Alvin and the Chipmunks DVDs that feature later produced cartoons. Those DVDs have high list prices and not much content so I have avoided them. It would be great to see the rest of Huckleberry Hound, but I am not sure how much demand there is for it. As it its, there are over four discs worth of material in the Volume 1 release. I think Paramount owns the Terrytoons library and hasn't shown much interest in it. A few original Mighty Mouse cartoons came out on the DVD of the 80s version. Personally, I would love a Deputy Dawg release, but here has not been anything released since the VHS days. As far as I know, Quick Draw McGraw has music rights issues on some of the episodes. I don't think that there are any legal hold ups on the Wally Gator Show cartoons, but Warner Archive's release of Hanna Barbera has virtually ceased.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I want Emergency plus 4 (a cartoon version of the Emergency series), Jeannie, My Favorite Martians, Smokey the Bear, the Osmonds, Kids Incorporated, and the animated Alf.

==James

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
In addition to Neil's above list:
I would think we should have long ago seen a complete Beany and Cecil set. The partial sets were great, but why not a complete set?

I would also like to see a King Leonardo set with the all King Leonardo and remaining Hunter, Klondike Kat, Tooter Turtle, etc, to complete what was missing on the Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo sets.

I would also like a complete Hoppity Hooper set.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I would still hope for at least one Hanna-Barbera title this year and the next, aside from the Blu-Ray re-release of Jonny Quest.

My picks:
1. Wally Gator / Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har / Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum (The Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Show, 1962-63)
2. The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
3. The Cattanooga Cats (1969)
4. The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
5. These Are the Days (1974-75)
6. The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
7. Skatebirds (1-hour version) (1977)
8. C.B. Bears (1-hour version) (1977)
9. Yogi's Space Race (90-minute version) (1978)
10. Jana of the Jungle (1978)
11. The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
12. The New Shmoo (1979)
13. The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC) (90-minute/1-hour version) (1980-81)
14. Trollkins (1981)
15. Wildfire (1986)
16. Fish Police (1992)

~Ben

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
LINUS THE LIONHEARTED is one I'd love to see again because of the voice talent. Sheldon Leonard was the voice of Linus and Carl Reiner, Jonathan Winters, Ruth Buzzi, Bob McFadden, Stiller & Meara and Jesse White played various characters.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
LINUS THE LIONHEARTED is one I'd love to see again because of the voice talent. Sheldon Leonard was the voice of Linus and Carl Reiner, Jonathan Winters, Ruth Buzzi, Bob McFadden, Stiller & Meara and Jesse White played various characters.

Actually, I had heard of a company interested in doing that series a few years ago. There may have been an issue with locating the elements as I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks