What's new

Alternatives to Def Tech Mythos? (1 Viewer)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Hello all:

It's been years since I've needed to buy HT speakers. However, my wife and I are getting our first house and I'll need to upgrade, seeing as our new living room is very long and narrow and we must mount our LCD on the wall. This means that we must also mount our speakers on the wall.

Currently I am using Athena Audition AS-B2s for my mains and an AS-C1 for my center. I need to replace these with wall mount friendly speakers. They need to be smaller and look decent and not break the bank.

My current thought is Def Tech Mythos Gem XLs for the mains and a Mythos Three or Seven for the center. You can get the Seven for $300 or $350 on Ebay and the XLs will run me another $600 total. I also considered Mirage speakers, but I just don't know if I can trust a speaker that small.

Are there any alternative suggestions to these speakers? Maybe speakers with equal performance that cost less and still look decent?

Thank you in advance for any/all thoughts on this.

Botch

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Boettcher
First, I wouldn't think you HAD to mount your speakers on the wall, just because your TV is there. My setup, soon to be completed in a couple of weeks, will use a close-to-the-wall TV and standard floor speakers.

I looked really hard at the Mythos, and if I wanted to mount my speakers on the wall I'da gone with them. The SVS line also has speakers that mount on the wall easily, if you still want to go that route.

Finally, several manufacturers sell IN-wall speakers, including Definitive, Paradigm, Pioneer and NHT; a little more work/fuss to install but definitely a clean look!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Shawn3138

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I would look into Niles or Episode "In Wall" speakers. Episode is made by a company called ZOBO TV which you may have heard of. www.episodespeakers.com should be the site. They make in wall and bookshelf speakers that are ribbon tweeds and sound amazing. I recommend the in wall speakers though if you want something that is hidden, up higher and sounds good. Episode are not very high end, their price is lower and they sound very good for the price. Niles may be a little more but same thing, not completely high end to the point that you will spend thousands on a set of 6 (two front left and right and one center, two in the rear on left and right). Episode also makes a few nice subs that would sound great. Definative Tech are decent speakers for the price if you want something hung up on the wall but I will say that IMO in wall designed speakers are easier to hide and run your wire in the wall where everything is completely hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.