What's new

Alternative to Onkyo 898?????? (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I was set to make this purchase, but held off due to the audio drop outs on JPIII & PH, along with others. After having my fears eased regarding that issue, then a new problem with "ticking" arose with the Onkyo products. Now I am very hesitant to purchase any Onkyo unit. I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative unit instead of the Onkyo. It seems there are problems with most brands in some fashion. I had settled on the Onkyo because it had suffecient hd bandwidth, 7.1 capabilities, DPII, component switching & other extras. Does Yahama make a unit that has the same features as the 898, in the same price range? Any others..........All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
You might want to consider the new Pioneer Elite units- The new VSX-47tx can be had for a little under $2000- maybe a bit out of your price range, though, considering the cost of the 898.

The Sherwood Newcastle 963 is about the same price, and many people on this forum like Newcastle.

I was debating between the two- Onkyo 898 and Newcastle 963.

I ordered the Onkyo for a few reasons:
-Direct access buttons on the front
-Two video record loops as opposed to one on the Newcastle.
-Onkyo has the reputation for being easy to use- That is crucial for my wife use it, and convenient for me when I need to perform less common tasks.

I really wanted to buy the Newcastle for two reasons:

-They are kind of the under dog, and
-the 963 comes the MX-500 remote that I was planning on buying any way, but the above list was more important to me.

I should get the Onkyo today- I'll post my comments soon!

~Jay

PS- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the ticking and drop outs won't affect me!

chrisden

Agent
Have you considered the Marantz SR 8200? Excellent receiver with great remote, THX select, 120w *6, and RS232 port, too. Excellent for music and HT. MSRP is $1699.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Brad,
You might want to look at the HK 8000. It has some incredible features(including the implementation of Logic7 on 5.1 sources). I have seen it online for about $1600. You do have to get a separate 2 ch. amp if want 6.1/7.1. I am still tossing around the idea of upgrading my Onkyo 797 for this unit. BTW the Marantz SR8200 mentioned above is a solid choice as well.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Get the 898 if thats what you want! Great rcvr!
JVC 10
Denon 3802
Sony 5es
HK 520
Yamaha 2200/3200
PS/ At that price you may want to think about separates. $1500 would get you a great start on separates
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm
The lower models from Marantz don't have the punch/ or any of the lower models for any brand except HK. See thread!

I got the Onkyo plugged in last night! My wife was asleep in the next room, so I couldn't listen very loud. But I realized that I either have too much stuff or the Onkyo has too few inputs :frowning:
I mapped out how everything should be plugged in and now it is completely full. If I add another component I'll need to dump something.
This morning before work I had a few minutes to play some music- It's not calibrated yet, but sounded pretty good. A bit brighter than my Newcastle 945 was. In fact in The Perfect Vision review they noticed that about it. My speakers are on the warm side so I think it'll be great for movies.
I know this is now a common feature, but it's new to me and I love it. The auto detect! If I put an audio cd in the DVD player- it knows, if I put a DTS music disc in- it knows:) My old receiver didn't do that and it was more of a PITA than I ever would have realized.
Here's my list of components, that'll give you an idea of why I used up all of the inputs:
LD player
Dish receiver
DVD player
HTPC
HDTV tuner card
VCR
Phono
Tape deck
Canopus A/D D/A Analog to DV converter- for capturing video to make DVD-R's
My next purchase will be an MX-500 to control all this.
~Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks