What's new

Onkyo 898 and Disney's Atlantis (1 Viewer)

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
Just rented Atlantis and am getting repeated audio dropout with my 898. Is this the same problem as JPIII and Pearl Harbor?

The problem with Atlantis is it has no alternate audio track.

i have the same thing happen with my 898,i am waiting for a reply back from the onkyo rep here in canada,as i emailed him about the problem with atlantis and he pnoned me and said he will get more info and get back to me i will post what he has to say

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I think the 3802 is having the same problems. Its a DVD problem, I think!!!!! It should not do it on all modes, just one. 6.1, ex, or 5.1 should work.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There was another person who posted here with a similar issue. There were apparently some incorrect discs sent out. Disney replaced that person's disc, so likely, you will have to go back to where you bought it and see if you can exchange it or the other possibility is to contact Disney.

DennisM

Auditioning
I believe its not so much the hardware as is the software. I don't have the same DVD player but have had problems with 102 Dalmation & Emperors New Groove. I contacted Buena Vista Consumer Relations at 1-800-723-4763 explained my problem with dropouts and sound problems and they sent me new copys of DVD's. The originals had a gold haze to them while the replacement were more silverish and worked just fine.
Good Luck
Dennis
:)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I have the 898 and have the audio dropout problem on Atlantis also.

The solution?

I'm using my DVD Player's multichannel outputs. THe DD Soundtrack is being decoded by the DVD Player.

Works great.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Use the DTS track, or get a different receiver. Onkyo and Denon are two brands having problems with the new updates for the Dolby Digital encoders used at many post production houses.

Dan

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
The audio dropout problem effects the
grand total of three disc's to my
knowledge, PH, JPIII and Atlantis,
two have alternate sound tracks,
Atlantis don,t. Go to www.dolby.com
under their Dolby knowledge base,
ask a question section question two goes
into details about this and whats
been done about it. Getting a new
receiver would IMO be less than smart.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Like Chris suggested you can use the DD decoder in your DVD player(if it has one of course) to get around the problem. I read somewhere that Dolby is supposed to correct the problem so it does not happen in future releases. BTW, Anchor Bay's The Beastmaster also has this problem. All of these discs except Atlantis have DTS tracks so they shouldn't present a problem for most people except those with older receivers/preamps that don't have DTS decoders.

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
I originally started this thread and am back for an update.

I bought "The Watcher in the Woods" a few days ago. It's an Anchor Bay release and is marked as both DD EX and DTS ES. I had no problem playing the DD EX track. I don't know if it is auto-flagged or not. If it is, then it looks like Dolby solved the problem. If not, we'll have to wait for another title.

David O'Neal

Auditioning
I am looking to replace my receiver and was considering the 898. Does anyone have a complete list of receivers that do experience this drop-out problem?

Danie_P

Grip
Hi..

I got the 898 and it has the dropout problem but its only with these dvds that has been mentioned here and there shouldnt be more of them according to both Dolby and Onkyo.

And these movies ya can always use the DVD DD decoder and the trouble goes away.

A part from this trouble its hell of a nice reciver... love it!!

Cheers.

Daniel

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
This is a DVD problem. Don't worry about it. Buy the rcvr you have your heart set on and be happy. All of those DVD's still work in one or two modes that were mentioned.:D

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Getting a new receiver would IMO be less than smart.
Agreed 100%. I've got a pretty early production Onkyo 595 that has never had any problems with the DD tracks on Pearl Harbor or Atlantis (haven't tried JP3). I don't know why this problem is so frequently blamed on the receiver. Especially when more than one brand is involved and not all of them exhibit the problem.

I've suggested several times that the problem MAY be with the DVD player ... or maybe even some interaction between the DVD player and the receiver. I've got a Toshiba SD1600 player and I have not found another person with a Toshiba player that has the audio dropout problem.

Myles

Agent
I have an Integra 5.2 receiver and it's essentially the same as an Onkyo 595. I have had no dropouts in DD5.1 on Pearl Harbour, Disneys Atlantis or Jurassic Park 3. I have a Pioneer DV440 DVD player and I'm also wondering if different DVD Player/Receiver interactions are a factor in this problem.

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
David, I wouldn't let this problem keep you from getting the 898. I bought one and couldn't be happier. I haven't had any trouble with any other dvds. There are always going to problem dvds it seems. I had DTS dropouts with Planet of the Apes because of a Toshiba 4700 dvd player, others were having problems with Jeepers Creepers with Pioneer dvd players. There just doesn't seem to be a profitable way for the studios to guarantee every disc will work with every piece of equipment 100% of the time. Luckily it seems that these problems are pretty rare and usually have another audio track. It does seem that the DD dropout issue has been resolved. There is a pretty good explaination on the Onkyo website.

AllenD

Second Unit
I have an Integra DTR 7.2 which has the same problems. You can read a press release at One Call's Onkyo 797 page. Click on "Questions or concerns about new DVDs including Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor?" to read the press release. I hope they fix the problem soon!

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
John Garcia wrote:

There was another person who posted here with a similar issue. There were apparently some incorrect discs sent out. Disney replaced that person's disc, so likely, you will have to go back to where you bought it and see if you can exchange it or the other possibility is to contact Disney.
I had the exact same problem with my Denon 1802 paired to a JVC XV-S40 DVD player.

I emailed Disney, provided a couple pages worth of my exact setup, and the particulars of the problem with my Atlantis: regular edition. They responded in 24 hours, and within two weeks, I had a copy of Atlantis: Special Edition in my hands, with the problem free DTS track, for my trouble. I was not impressed that the first disk did not work, but I was more then impressed with the customer service provided by Disney in the end. I did not even have to request a Special Edition, they offered it with their reply, up front.

Edit: spelling

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
All of this is old news reported on the Onkyo USA site back in November of 2001.

The Dolby Digital decoder used by the Onkyo and a few other brands infact does have a bug. The new decoders combined with Dolby Lab's new encoder flags both interact to cause audio drop outs.

NO DVD player/receiever combination causes this problem. The problem only resides in a select number of discs encoded with the new flags: Atlantis; Jurassic Park III; Pearl Harbor and Beastmaster (just learn that today from this thread) and a select number of receivers like the Onkyo 797 (which I have) the 898 and others.

There is a Special Edition 2-disc version of Disney's Atlantis that DOES have a DTS-ES Matrix track that sounds great.

I believe Atlantis was one of the first discs with a TRUE Surround EX AUTO flag. I hope they can get it right. The majority of my DTS-ES Matrix/Discrete discs have auto flags that work and they are GREAT. However, not all of them have the auto flags. It would be great to be able to play Surround EX tracks without having to manually turn it on on the receiver everytime. Of course it would be nice if the studio's would just label ALL Surround EX disc as such and not just a select few. As of now you pretty much have to research on-line or find out by word of mouth which Dolby Digital discs were encoded in Surround EX. The majority of the ones I have are NOT labeled as such.

As said before I too use the Dolby Digital/DTS decoders in my DVD players to play the Dolby Digital tracks without audio dropout as a work-a-round -- analog 5.1 really isn't that bad with good equipment (I personally was suprised how close it sounded to the digital version as I switched back and forth). Of course you must remember you can NOT get Surround EX from the analog connections. Also note you will have to calibrate the DVD player's decoder too.

Any other dropout issues besides the one I mentioned above may in fact be caused by faulty/buggy DVD players. The Panasonic RP-91 and JVC XV-723 I have do not thank goodness (so far).

I held off buying my Onkyo 797 until I got offical word from Dolby Labs AND Onkyo. The 787 I sold did not have the problem with these discs because it did not have the newer decoder. However, I'm glad I upgraded anyway.

Maybe someone here or from AVS can help me remember the decoders name that has the bug?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks