What's new

Allen Iverson -- big trouble or minor inconvenience? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
The rules are different for people who have some celebrity to rely on.
Darryl Strawberry, Robert Downey, LT, OJ, no one with some kind of celebrity stays in the trouble they get into.

A.I. will probably plea bargain into a probation/community service announcements.

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that anyone is minimizing an alledged gun possesion. What we have here is what happens when no one knows all the facts. From what I got from a news report, the person who was at the house was "pretty sure" what he saw was a gun. That is not conclusive. And he said that it was not pulled at any point. This is not what I think most people would consider being threatened by a gun.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I dont think "what-if's" have any place in the legal system.

He was carrying a gun, he's not supposed to do that. He may have entered someones home without permission, he's not supposed to do that either.

He needs to grow up, but I dont think a jail cell is the place for that.

Give him probation, community service and make him see a therapist and/or marriage counselor.

IMO

Jeff Peake

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
There's no way that the prosecutor's office would waste their time taking me to trial over a b.s. charge like this so there's no way that Iverson will do time. This is more like a 90 day suspended sentence + $500 fine crime.
Twenty years ago my brother lived in Albany. He took away a gun from our younger brother. He left the gun in his car. First mistake. He worked as an electrician and drove an old beater car and wore work clothes that made him look scruffy. He was about 30, had a wife and two kids, was a college graduate, had no arrest records and was a master electrician. Because he worked in some rough areas he decided to keep the gun in the glove box. It was unloaded, but there were lose rounds in the the box. He left a bowling alley one night and was detained by the police. They searched the car and found the gun. He was arrested, spent nine months in jail for carrying a loaded gun.

You can probably see from my point of view, that anyone who wants to minimize and excuse someone carrying a concealed weapon on his person, brandishing it for purpose of intimidating someone and also having a prior weapons conviction is full of BS. He should nine months or more.

When does Johnny Cocran get back from vacation and can they get any of the Orenthal jury?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I remember when I first moved to this area (where Iverson is from) he was still in high school and had been involved in a fight at a bowling alley, I believe. Guess trouble still follows him...

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I dont think "what-if's" have any place in the legal system.
Jeff,

One of the reasons certain offenses carry the penalties they do is because of "what if."

For example, attempted armed robbery is very serious, not because of the actual outcome (hey, no one got hurt!), but because of the potential for harm and because we need to have enough of a deterrent to keep people from attempting it.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Oh dear. I misread the thread title when I first saw it:
Alien Invasion -- big trouble or minor inconvenience?
:laugh:
Okay, nothing to see here...move along!! :b

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Bustin' in somebody's house uninvited with or without a gun is bad news. People get killed around here for that kind of crap .... and it is perfectly legal ..... as long as you drag 'em back in the house before the cops arrive.
I do have a question. According to the official count in USA TODAY, AI threw his naked wife and a cousin out of the house. But, there is no account or pending charges that explain why she was naked. Apparently AI did not disrobe her. Why was she apparently & voluntarily naked in front of the cousin? I might be reaching here but Lucy got some splainin to do.

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Based on past history:

Crime + star athlete + $$$$ = fine

Crime + normal citzen + ave income = jail time

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
With all the bricks he throws up, he could build his own jail.
I couldn't agree more. I think he is one of the worst things in the NBA due to his playing style (aka "there's other guys on the team???).

People defend this with "he does it because he has to, that's his role". That's a bunch of crap. You don't go 8-28 and win a game without somebody else on the team doing something right. There is talent around him. Jordan matured enough to make the players around him look better. AI makes the players around him look worse. That's the difference, AI never has matured even with Brown as his coach.

And so it comes as little surprise that his off-court attitude is exactly the same. Selfish and spoiled. But honestly, in this instance I am not nearly as bothered as I was by that press conference tirade of babbling nonsense.

Plenty of men have gotten pretty worked up over wives and girlfriends, and its no short list of men who have killed over passion or at least gotten violent. I'm not excusing it in the least, but its a lot easier to identify with what drives a person to act outrageous in passion.

What I didn't identify with was crazy rant about not needing practice, etc.

And my answer to this thread is like everyone else. If having the priviledge of waiting a week for an attorney to return from vacation before turning yourself in didn't tell us everything we needed to know about the situation.

I mean, that goes beyond even fame and wealth, doesn't it? I can't remember ever hearing of someone given that much time before being taken into custody, especially for that excuse. Hey, AI, you've got money, hire ANOTHER lawyer for the week, or doesn't your high priced guy have ASSISTANTS??

I find it hard to believe that anyone in Philadelphia is truly outraged when I see how it's being handled.

Did Ray Lewis get a week to turn himself in? I honestly don't remember, but it sure doesn't seem like it was that way.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Much like the OJ trial, this will have nothing to do with guilt or innocence. It has everything to do with money; race and power. He'll walk, because "equal justice for all," in this case simply means that the amount of justice he gets is equal to the amount of money he has to pay for it. What is most sad it that people continue to admire people like him, aka Rodman, Tyson et al and hold them up as mentors. No wonder our kids are growing up screwed up. But... to answer the question directly, this will only be a minor inconvenience.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
A Police Official was on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday. He said that the decision to delay bringing in Iverson was based on a guarantee from his attorney, his risk of flight was low since he is well known, and that he is to remain in his house and will be arrested if found on the street. The Official said it is done on occasion and that this is not special treatment. The attorney gets one chance to slip up. If Iverson takes off then the attorney or Iverson will never be given this privledge again.

I have to grudgingly admit that his argument is sensible. brandishing a gun is serious, but not like Carruth who was accused of committing a murder. Or Orenthal until they had enough evidence to bring him in.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm outraged they didn't serve a search warrant on him, cuff him and toss him in the slammer the minute they possibly could. The man is scum, he's a convicted criminal regardless of the outcome of this case, and deserves to be locked up for a long long time.

This just in, he has posted bail after being in there for 12 hours. ($10,000 only? WTF?) and is due back in court on Wednesday.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I find it hard to believe that anyone in Philadelphia is truly outraged when I see how it's being handled.
I meant that it was all treated like no big deal by the cops/court (which it was) so I don't see how that represents a city full of outrage.
Surely the taxpayers would be rioting in the streets, calling the Mayor, whatever, if the whole thing really had AI fans "outraged".
To me the city's response was more like a big "huh, go figure, will he be in training camp?" :)
I honestly can picture myself in AI's shoes in this one. If my wife/gf was whoring around on me I'd get pretty pissed, especially when I was a bit younger. It's not hard to really get under someone's skin by flaunting infidelity, for example. And if you are the jealous type then it's 3 times worse.
There are wrong choices and crazy choices. This was a wrong one. Like I said before, the press conference was closer to the "crazy" thing than this, IMO.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As a teenager in 1993, he was arrested after a bowling-alley brawl and spent four months in jail in Virginia before he was granted clemency by the governor. The conviction was later overturned.
In 1997, Iverson pleaded no contest to gun possession.
He also made an unreleased rap CD in which he used derogatory terms for women and gays, and he's fought several times with 76ers coach Larry Brown.
Yet another one the media blew WAAAYYYYY out of proportion. Is the above what you would call an "extensive criminal record" like I have heard it said so many times? And please tell me what the hell the relevance of that third paragraph is in the eyes of the law :rolleyes.
The man was charged with every single count possible under the circumstances. It would be extremely absurd to deny that someone had an agenda. Perhaps you and I might not have walked away that easy (though the evidence is soooo thin we would with a decent lawyer), but you and I would not have been hit with every count in the book either. It goes both ways.
--
Holadem

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I'm outraged they didn't serve a search warrant on him, cuff him and toss him in the slammer the minute they possibly could. The man is scum, he's a convicted criminal regardless of the outcome of this case, and deserves to be locked up for a long long time.

This just in, he has posted bail after being in there for 12 hours. ($10,000 only? WTF?) and is due back in court on Wednesday.
I agree that AI should of been arrested the same day but he would just of made bail and been out very soon after.

Jeff, why do you think the bail should of been higher? Iverson is not going to go anywhere and he is a millionaire so he could of posted any type of bail that would of been set.

How long should he be locked up? What he did doesn't deserve a very long sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks