Allen Iverson -- big trouble or minor inconvenience?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Based on the charges brought against him (about a dozen felony and misdemeanor charges, including "terroristic" threats), what do you think will happen?

a) he will see some jail time
    b) his contract will be voided by the 76'ers (moral clause)
    c) his accusers will be driving Lincoln Navigators and all will be forgotten in six months

The way things seem to work these days, I think the answer is (c).

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't think this thread will last long, but I look forward to watching that little troll in handcuffs on Tuesday

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I am sort of amazed that no one has discussed this yet. I do feel Allen will only get a slap on the wrist. The NBA will fine him but it would be like a couple of dollars to him and he won't be able to play for 10 games. I don't think he'll do any hard time, but there is a chance since he's has already served 4 months time back in 1994 and then got probation in 1997.

It really is amazing that if you have money and fame you can get away with anything. Just look at OJ.

4. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

If he serves less than six months it is because he is a celebrity. Oh wait, that is why he has not been charged yet isn't it?

We hear all this BS about giving extra time for offenses involving a fire arm. This type of crime should cost him at least 12 months in jail but it won't.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

His money and fame will allow him to essentially escape responsiblity for his actions. The 76ers and the NBA will be uninterested in anything that doesn't affect his basketball ability. A big chunk of 76er fans will feel the same way.

6. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

And what's up with his lawyer being on vacation till Tuesday. This is going to be media hyped case, and you think he's lawyer would come back to defend him right away. Instead Allen is relaxing at his house waiting for his lawyer to come back on Tuesday and that point then he'll turn himself in. It just doesn't seem right. They need to arrest him now.

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

While A.I. is my 2nd favorite basketball player it is a joke that he is not in a cell right now, if it was any of us we would of been arrested that day.

Brian, I agree with you and think it will be "c".

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Like many sports figures, A.I. has been pampered since High School. He simply hasn't grown up. He should be treated like anybody else for what he's done. NY Times has interesting article on him in the Sports section on line.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Unfortunately, I'll bet he never sees a day in jail for this. He can pay for whatever legal team he wants. I'd bet they ask for a jury trial and, because of his celebrity, at least one or two of the jury panel will opt to find him not guilty. I really don't like this attitude by athletes and other celebrities that they're royalty and above the rest of us. I know the public feeds this, but our legal system shouldn't.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

It kinda sucks for me, as a Sixers fan. I absolutely love what AI does on the court, and the excitement he brings to the city. (Fans like their team to win)

On the other hand, I agree with a lot of the sentiments mentioned above. He is a spoiled guy. Did he work hard to get where he is? Absolutely. Is that enough? No. Teamwork, class, and attitude makes up a large part of being a profesional athlete. These are the things I believe Iverson lacks.

I'd love to one day be a huge Iverson fan. As it is now, I love him on the court - I really dislike the guy off the court. My sincerest hope is that he grows up a bit and begins acting like a responsible adult, because his talents are amazing and it would really suck if he became just another 'tragic success' story.

Time will tell.

11. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

With all the bricks he throws up, he could build his own jail. [​IMG]

12. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

I guess I will be the first one to say that he is innocent until proven guilty. Just because he is black and has tattoos doesn't automatically make him guilty. First, just think of what he did. He had an argument with his wife and then went looking for her and forced his way into a relatives apartment. And he just happened to have a gun on him which many celebrities feel they need and rightly so. Celebrity works both ways. This is a really minor offense and will not go to court because of the absurdity of the charges.

13. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I agree somewhat...It's easy to get caught up in the hype of the media. I'm sure there is some wrong doing etc on AI's part but to what extent and under what circumstances...well we don't know that yet.

I've heard everything from him just having the gun in his waistband to him holding the gun up to someones head to get them to make a phone call.

His punishment should fit the crime and that goes both ways...if he was forcing people to do something by using a gun then he should get the "assault with a deadly weapon (unregistered I think)"...

If he went to their house and had it in his waistband then he should get whatever charge that is...conceiled weapon or whatever...

14. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Stunt Coordinator

If he was not "A.I." the two men would not have called the police. They would have dealt with him themselves or let the situation go. The police were only contacted because he is a celebrity.

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

16. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    There's no way that the prosecutor's office would waste their time taking me to trial over a b.s. charge like this so there's no way that Iverson will do time. This is more like a 90 day suspended sentence + $500 fine crime.

17. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

" A.I. ". Artificially intelligent?

18. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

19. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

I would guess that the end result of this will likely be some kind of suspended sentence and a fine for barging into the apartment. Unless there is more than one witness to AI having a gun, they probably won't be able to get that to stick. I think that if this was the Average Joe, this wouldn't be a court case.

As a Sixers fan, I would love for them to find someone, anyone to take Allen Iverson and his circus act...

20. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

For those who think that the gun possession was no big deal, here's a quote from Rick Telander in today's Sun-Times: