What's new

All-Region Laptop DVD Player Possible? (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find anything through the Search function, so here goes. I am an American living in Scotland. I currently watch my DVDs through my American-bought laptop. But I'm buying a new laptop and would like to know if you can find a DVD player for computers that would play all regions.

I'm aware you can play all regions a few times before the player locks in. I have asked a few people this question and most say that it is not possible to play all regions on a laptop, but I figured if anyone would know the answer, someone here would.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find anything through the Search function, so here goes. I am an American living in Scotland. I currently watch my DVDs through my American-bought laptop. But I'm buying a new laptop and would like to know if you can find a DVD player for computers that would play all regions.

I'm aware you can play all regions a few times before the player locks in. I have asked a few people this question and most say that it is not possible to play all regions on a laptop, but I figured if anyone would know the answer, someone here would.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
You can use a program like AnyDVD this would just make the DVDs region free for your viewing pleasure. It only costs $39, which would be much cheaper then a stand alone region free DVD player.

And I think they have a 21 day trial period so you can see if it's what you really want before you purchase it.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
You can use a program like AnyDVD this would just make the DVDs region free for your viewing pleasure. It only costs $39, which would be much cheaper then a stand alone region free DVD player.

And I think they have a 21 day trial period so you can see if it's what you really want before you purchase it.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I use a program called "DVD Region Free". It is available from the site www.dvd-idle.com . To my knowledge, it is the ONLY software solution that bypasses the need for region-free firmware within the drive itself. I have used it on my Toshiba Portege (as well as all my desktop machines) with no problems. It also disables "User Prohibition", which means you can skip forced trailers, bypass lengthy menu transitions, change audio tracks on the fly (even when this feature is supposedly "locked out"), etc. Best $40 I ever spent.

To restate: with this program, NO FLASHING of the drive's firmware is necessary.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I use a program called "DVD Region Free". It is available from the site www.dvd-idle.com . To my knowledge, it is the ONLY software solution that bypasses the need for region-free firmware within the drive itself. I have used it on my Toshiba Portege (as well as all my desktop machines) with no problems. It also disables "User Prohibition", which means you can skip forced trailers, bypass lengthy menu transitions, change audio tracks on the fly (even when this feature is supposedly "locked out"), etc. Best $40 I ever spent.

To restate: with this program, NO FLASHING of the drive's firmware is necessary.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I have a closely related question: if I have two DVD drives on my computer can both be set for different regions? My hunch is that it can since, I believe, region is set in the firmware but I want to be sure. Thanks.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I have a closely related question: if I have two DVD drives on my computer can both be set for different regions? My hunch is that it can since, I believe, region is set in the firmware but I want to be sure. Thanks.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Both your player software and your DVD-ROM drive have a region setting. You would have to use 2 different players, or switch the player's region setting each time you switch drives. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

But why on earth would you want to do such a thing?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Both your player software and your DVD-ROM drive have a region setting. You would have to use 2 different players, or switch the player's region setting each time you switch drives. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

But why on earth would you want to do such a thing?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Been awhile since I asked this question, but I just wanted to say that I wound up buying the DVD Region-Free program from DVD Idle. Its worked great so far. Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks