What's new

All component video cables created equally? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I guess it doesn't pay to get your set calibrated then. Weren't the Kimber cables the ones in that link that Alf provided that weren't 75 ohms but something substantially more?
Out of curiousity, how tight were those bends Jeff?

Blue Jeans Cables are superb. Not only are they extremely well contructed with top of the line materials, they are also very reasonably priced.

I have a 4 foot component cable from them and the performance is flawless with my HD cable box. Even just inches from the screen, I cannot detect the slightest bit of EMI or RFI interference; I mean absolutely none - the signal was as clean as what you would get from any DVI-D or HDMI.

At first, I was using the stock cables provided by the cable company, and they were lousy; lots of visible EMI and RFI interference. Prior to getting the BJs, I bought a pair of Monster, and they were a significant improvement; but I was still getting some visible EMI and RFI interference.

Simon S

Auditioning
Need some expert advice

In my case, I would prefer to buy decent component cables but unfortunately that is not an option since the house is already prewired. The total distance from the receiver to the LCD is about 20 feet and there are a few turns in the path, so rewiring is not an option. I have 3 coaxial RG-6 cables and 4 (2 wire plus ground) AWG 18 wires and also what appears to be a 6 wire phone line available. My question is which wires are best to use for component Video connections: 1) the RG-6 or
2) 3 of the (2 wire plus ground) 18 AWG wires (ignore the ground wire inside each)or
3) 2 of the (2 wire plus ground) 18 AWG and use the "Ground" wire from each for my 3rd line. The "ground" wire is inside the external shield but unlike the red and black wire, this does not have it's own shield.

The 2 wire plus ground cable is marked as "18 AWG CL3R/CMR/MPR/DP-3 75C (UL).

also, if you recommend using the Coax, I located some RG-6 to RCA adapters at Radio Shack that are gold plated, and require soldering. I also locate Canare which makes a crimp type RG-6 to RCA adapter. Is the solder type prefered over the crimp down type? I know it's a bit more hasle to solder, but I don't mind it if it improves performance.

I would appreciate advice on the best method to use for better performance

Thanks in advance

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well you can't use the 18 awg wires as they're not 75 ohms or shielded. The RG6 you can use IF the center conductor is copper and not copper over steel. That's usually used for satellite or cable. If you look directly at the center conductor and see that it's grayish then it's the wrong type. Now, maybe what you can do is to use the existing wire as a snake to pull the appropriate type of wire through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks