What's new

All component video cables created equally? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've never posted in this seection before. Glad to find it here!

I did a quick search and I don't think I found anything on this. I just bought as plasma TV. I have not recieved it yet, but I am preparing for it. One thing I will do in the interum after I get it set up is connect it to my older DVD player that has component video out. I don't have any component cables now so I was curious if they are all created equally. I will eventually upgrade to a newer player that has HDMI output, for now I'm just going to get what I have going.

Seems like Monster cable might be too pricy verses others yet provide similar video quality? Could I just use regular cables with RCA jacks, assuming the guage of the cable is reasonable? Just wanted to get up to speed. Thanks!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
AR Component

Or you can try these cheap. I've never had much issue with most AR cables. I bought several of these at this price and use them for a lot of non critical functions -- component, composite video, audio, digital coax. At 3 bucks per 6 foot cable it's hard to pass up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for all the great feedback and information. Not all created equally afterall!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll second the recomendation for NXG for inexpensive cables. I've used both the Standard and Saphire/Pro line cables. The bullet style connectors feel more substantial and look slightly better on the Saphire/Pro series but are more prone to breaking inside the connector (i had 1 out of 11 cables break). Since the Standard connectors are molded on there is much less chance of internal breaking. Upon inspection the actual cable seems identical (thickness of conductor and insulation) although it's a slightly different (shinier) color of blue on the Saphire/Pro series. Looks like NXG has also expanded to DVI, HDMI, and Firewire cables since i last checked them out. I really like the fact that they make a component+optical cable, the only one i've ever seen.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
David we have used the AR cables too. We just hate the packaging.
Stephen the secret to the bullet style(as you called them)is to twist as you take it out. They make a much better connection than standard connectors.Thats why all of the upper line cables from all manufactors use that.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

Hmmmmmmmm... well, puncture my balloon will, ya ;) Jeff, I defer to your greater experience and maybe my good luck so far. Of course, in my usage they're not going to get any stress to speak of and they're all short (3' and 6') so maybe that had something to do with it. In any case, I got a component cable, several audio pairs and a couple composite video cables from them and all checked out fine as far as I can tell which may not saying a whole lot.

But I also got some stuff including a couple cables from www.partsexpress.com and had no problem with those either.

Lots of choices out there but the bottom line remains that there's no need to pay what I see as rip-off retail prices for cables.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Think what you want or read what you will there is a difference in cables. Especially video cables. Im not saying that you need to buy $300 video cables but ive seen and done cable tests and there is a differnce between the real cheap crap and a better cable. Remember that the cable I recomended was selling for $15. I've seen alot of cheap video cables that are the same cable as for audio which means they are not 75 ohm. Which video cables have to be to deliver a proper picture.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Dick the ones we used most were the 3'& 6'ers. They got pulled out by people cleaning around or repostioning the equipment and so on. I'm sure thats how they got bent too.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Jeff, et al,

I for one have no trouble believing that cables can matter at the very low end. On the other end I think most of us would agree that paying $90 for a 1 meter component cable is not good value. It's that "wonderful" and wide range in between that will generate all the "discussion".

Personally, I like the input. Jeff's comments aren't going to make me lose any sleep tonight :) but I'll keep them in mind for the next time. And you can bet that if I had any trouble with them then those comments will reinforce the idea that I'll go somewhere else to find the replacements.

Speaking of sleep tonight...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Guys.

There is build-quality differences in some cables. And you have to remember that "Component Video" is a 1940's standard.

If the package says "Component", it only has to be compatible with 4 Mhz max frequency signals.

Progressive Video: goes up to 13 Mhz.

HD Video: goes up to 35 Mhz.

This might explain the performance differences people have seen.

Nelson - Since you are hooking up to a HD display, make sure the cables you buy say somewhere on the package "HD Compatible". Or look for words like "90 Mhz" or greater bandwidth. (You want your cable to be able to handle 4 times the max frequency you intend to shove down it).

The smart money: www.bluejeanscables.com

They use Canare or Belden coax (not sold to consumers - ment for broadcast industry) and custom-make cables. $45 for a 6 ft cable. Not expensive, but they have the technical specs to handle HD video.

I have 2 Canare based cables on my HDTV right now. One for the DVD player and one for the HD CATV box. But I would be happy with a Belden cable made by BlueJeans. (The Belden cables tend to be a bit more flexable and easier to work with.)

The owner of BlueJeans is a fellow HTF member and he takes good care of us. Just do a search for "BlueJeans" and you will see posts by many happy customers.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

Okay, now that makes sense to me and would, indeed, be a good reason for varying results. Filed for future reference!

So: All component video cables created equally?
Seems the answer is no -- and the differences might or might not matter.

VinceL

Auditioning
wow this post was very informative for me. Before I read this i was ready to go out and get Monster cables. I think I will order from BlueJeans now, can't go wrong with that.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the chance to try out many different cables. I used 2 deifferent TV's and my own projector. I have tried a 61" marantz plasma, a 42" pioneer elite and my Marantz VP12S3 projector. I tried from the DVD player to the TV units. The DVD i used was a Arcam FMJ DV27A. I started out with a set of installer grade and custom terminated. Looked great. I didnt think there would be a differance. Then i steped up to a set of pre terminated Kinber Cables. Instatly a 15% differance. From there i went to set of Straightwire Silverlink component cables and noticed a 20% improvement from the kimber cable. I could not understand how it could have got that much better but it did it on every one of the TV sets. All i would do is swap the component cable from the DVD player to the monitor. It amazed me. Adding a good line conditioner and good power cable made another increase in video picture. Its sickning. Just adding my Richard Gray and Nordost power cable and i can not go back without them.

Let me also add this, The installer based cables where quite a bit better then the top of the line monster cable i tried.

www.tmrmzine.com/ht20052.JPG

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
We measured by watching the same few scenes. 6 of us sat there and we all came to the same conclusion. Sorry i didn't do it with some special tool. But when 6 of us can instantly notice, a more brilliant picture by just changing cable, Its a pretty obvious that there is a difference in cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks