What's new

YANG

Screenwriter
pardon me for digging out this old thread. after the recent discussion of Ridley Scotts historical epic NAPOLEON, and speculating on the possible theatrical running time and director's cut... which draw my interest to dig back into Ridley's past works, starting with the ALIEN, and the prequels.

Here are the 2 articles which touched on the missing parts/links in the prequels that Ridley could restore... if it make some sense.
on the PROMETHEUS
on the CONVENANT

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
From the moment I saw the deleted scenes on the "Prometheus" blu-ray I've been hoping Scott would put them back in. But, I seem to be one of the few who like the movie, so that seems unlikely. And "Covenant" was just crap, so the hell with it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From the moment I saw the deleted scenes on the "Prometheus" blu-ray I've been hoping Scott would put them back in. But, I seem to be one of the few who like the movie, so that seems unlikely.

If it’s any consolation, I love the movie - my favorite in the series and possibly my favorite film by Scott, period.

I was massively disappointed by Covenant the first time I saw it, but it’s actually grown on me quite a bit the couple times I’ve revisited it since.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was massively disappointed by Covenant the first time I saw it, but it’s actually grown on me quite a bit the couple times I’ve revisited it since.
That's so funny. When this old review thread was resurrected today, I looked in astonishment that I had written it. I vaguely remember in the farthest regions of my mind seeing the movie, but I didn't remember writing one word of this review! And, no, I don't hire a ghostwriter to do these reviews.

YANG

Screenwriter
IMG_20221106_155544~2.jpg

gonna give these a spin again in Ridley’s “corrected” chronological order to find out where’re the missing links...

after all, majority of us who’re 40 and above were aged along with the initial ALIEN for roughly 25yrs or so, before Prometheus takes over the position as the “beginning chapter”.​

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
"Prometheus" sets up the first part of an extremely detailed story arc for Shaw, one that I was eager to see continued. The whole point of the first film is to see where Shaw's voyage takes here in the second and (possibly) third films. The total dismissal of her character in the second film is inexcusable. A good hands-on producer should have slapped the shit out of Ridley Scott and told him to finish the damn story he started rather than becoming enchanted with a nasty android for whom we have no sympathy.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
"Prometheus" sets up the first part of an extremely detailed story arc for Shaw, one that I was eager to see continued. The whole point of the first film is to see where Shaw's voyage takes here in the second and (possibly) third films. The total dismissal of her character in the second film is inexcusable. A good hands-on producer should have slapped the shit out of Ridley Scott and told him to finish the damn story he started rather than becoming enchanted with a nasty android for whom we have no sympathy.

Nobody in the audience liked Shaw. Nobody liked Prometheus. It was a terrible, terrible, terrible movie.

After that fiasco, Covenant was intended to be a course correction to get the franchise back on track. Unfortunately, it was also another dud.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
"Nobody in the audience liked Shaw"? WTF? She was a marvelously written and acted character with a great story ahead of her that did not result in her lying on a slab to be picked at by a psychotic android.
I liked her.
I was in the audience.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
"Nobody in the audience liked Shaw"? WTF? She was a marvelously written and acted character with a great story ahead of her

And the other Josh says I'm the one engaging in hyperbole. :laugh:

I saw that movie. It was really bad and the characters were all morons.

You can give me all the Disagree reacts you want, but the fact remains that Ridley Scott made a conscious decision to discard most of the characters and plot from Prometheus when making Covenant in direct response to the negative reaction audiences had to that film. He felt he needed to wipe the slate clean and course-correct.

That he didn't do a very good job with his course correction either was a further disappointment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And the other Josh says I'm the one engaging in hyperbole. :laugh:

I saw that movie. It was really bad and the characters were all morons.

You can give me all the Disagree reacts you want, but the fact remains that Ridley Scott made a conscious decision to discard most of the characters and plot from Prometheus when making Covenant in direct response to the negative reaction audiences had to that film. He felt he needed to wipe the slate clean and course-correct.

That he didn't do a very good job with his course correction either was a further disappointment.
Subjective opinions vary when it comes to film appreciation. You hated the movie! Others disagree with you. Not surprising, but I think some of us have an issue with your choice of words. Not so much about your displeasure with this film, but that you implied all of us have the same opinion as you do regarding this movie.

YANG

Screenwriter
i believe there are missing links that could bridge the whole character development logically thru Extended or Director's Cut. it's just that there wasn't much news from Ridley's side since he was busy making Napoleon after The Last Duel and House of Gucci.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought Prometheus was ok and I could have liked Covenant…till that total soul destroying ending. That eliminated any rewatchability of the movie for me.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, my tuppence worth: Prometheus & Covenant; two truly awful films, & worse than that, two awful films that I didn't like (there's more than my share of bad films I love). It was like Scott had forgotten how to direct a good film, & had certainly forgotten what a good script looks like. Anyway, Alien, what a classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks