What's new

Pre-Order Alien Covenant (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Peorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
815-N80hhSL-1._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Attachments

• 815-N80hhSL._SX522_.jpg
    815-N80hhSL._SX522_.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The pricing the 4K and the Blu Ray are the same? I realize the prices will come down, but do they usually do that?

I sure hope this thing comes with a ton of supplements. Separate commentaries from the director and screenwriter(s) most of all.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There will be a $5 difference between the two as usual. $22.99 vs $27.99.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for the heads up! I'm not UHD yet (or likely anytime soon), but if it includes all the bonus features and movie on BD, I don't mind future proofing for an extra couple bucks over the BD, so I've pre-ordered and will wait for specs to decide whether or not to keep it.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I am a HUGE fan of Ridley Scott, but I am sorry to say this movie was a big letdown. The biggest problem was the script which was way too predictable. Scott broke his own rules of tension build up and not showing too much of the aliens. Not really that scary. Bad acting also does not help. Retirement time for Scott?

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was terrific. Saw it for the second time today and it was even better. Pretty much disagree with all the points in the post above. But hey, different strokes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought it was terrific. Saw it for the second time today and it was even better. Pretty much disagree with all the points in the post above. But hey, different strokes.
Yeah, I don't agree with that poster either. I thought it was pretty scary and had no problems with the acting.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I am a HUGE fan of Ridley Scott, but I am sorry to say this movie was a big letdown. The biggest problem was the script which was way too predictable. Scott broke his own rules of tension build up and not showing too much of the aliens. Not really that scary. Bad acting also does not help. Retirement time for Scott?

In Scott's defense on this point, the Genie is out of the bottle when it comes to showing the Alien. By this point we've seen it so much that putting it back into the shadows probably wouldn't do much.

Also, that's just not how movies are made anymore. Audiences just don't crave the "less is more" angle. "I'm paying to see a movie with "Alien" in the title, so you better show me a damn Alien and show it good"

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I sure hope this thing comes with a ton of supplements. Separate commentaries from the director and screenwriter(s) most of all.

I confirmed with Charles de Lauzirika yesterday that he's not involved with any of the behind-the-scenes or interview materials on Alien: Covenant, nor with the blu-ray. Very unfortunate, but at least Fox has been putting out great supplemental packages for their other releases, so hopefully this one gets the treatment it deserves. I'll definitely miss having one of his intensely in-depth documentaries this time around.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do you know if that's more of a matter of Charles moving on to directing his own features, or if Fox was cutting the budget on extras?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that this will be the standard for a modern release- a few EPK featurettes, deleted scenes and, hopefully, a commentary. Sadly, I think the days of big special editions are gone even for the director who is arguably the king of them.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd have to ask why Fox seems to be pulling away from theatrical 3D releases. The following article goes some distance to explain it:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/07/05/are-3-d-movies-dying-slow-death.html

But ALL of the problems listed in the article are fixable. Don't surcharge for 3D theater admissions or Blu-rays. Projectionists need to leave the illumination alone. 3D needs to be fun again -- including at least a few really memorable pop-outs for most movies. More adult-oriented 3D films need to be made to capture an almost lost segment of the audience. More live-action 3D, converted (if well-done) and native, and fewer really stupid CGI titles (but save the good ones!). All of these and more are doable. All that keeps any of it from happening is a growing disinterest on the part of audiences who aren't being properly entertained, studios and t.v. manufacturers. We need to keep on hammering away with our HTF enthusiasm for this dwindling format.

And please -- we are all quite aware of the negative points and nay-sayers... if you would like to add to this argument, please offer your support for those of us who are invested in 3D.

I am disappointed that Fox dropped 3D for COVENANT. But you can be damn sure that when AVATAR sequels begin coming out, they will be 3D!

If this post seems to more belong in the 3D section, please feel free to movie it over.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
But ALL of the problems listed in the article are fixable. Don't surcharge for 3D theater admissions or Blu-rays. Projectionists need to leave the illumination alone. 3D needs to be fun again -- including at least a few really memorable pop-outs for most movies. More adult-oriented 3D films need to be made to capture an almost lost segment of the audience. More live-action 3D, converted (if well-done) and native, and fewer really stupid CGI titles (but save the good ones!). All of these and more are doable. All that keeps any of it from happening is a growing disinterest on the part of audiences who aren't being properly entertained, studios and t.v. manufacturers. We need to keep on hammering away with our HTF enthusiasm for this dwindling format.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of those issues being fixed. No way theaters are ever going to drop the surcharge (and in fairness, I don't necessarily blame them as they run on razor thin margins mostly due to the studios). They days of real professional projectionists are over. Natively shot 3D is going to remain ultra rare due to the fact that there are very few filmmakers that are even interested in shooting in 3D and it's less complicated to do a conversion as an afterthought. And so on....

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Unfortunately, I don't see any of those issues being fixed. No way theaters are ever going to drop the surcharge (and in fairness, I don't necessarily blame them as they run on razor thin margins mostly due to the studios). They days of real professional projectionists are over. Natively shot 3D is going to remain ultra rare due to the fact that there are very few filmmakers that are even interested in shooting in 3D and it's less complicated to do a conversion as an afterthought. And so on....

I have to wonder then, with maybe only one 2017 t.v. model (if that) available with a 3D option, why 3D Blu-rays are still coming out, even occasionally from Disney (BEAUTY AND THE BEAST). This would be an acknowledgement that people who already own such sets are still clamoring for the software. And we are not an insignificant number.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks