What's new

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Which Version? (1 Viewer)

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
There are a handful of public domain versions of this 1972 classic, starring Fiona Fullerton and an all-star British cast. Which one is the best one? Apparently all suffer in quality, but some are pan and scan, and some are scope. Which is the one to get?

Thanks!

Real Name
Anthony
I know of two in R1 but both are pan and scan and absolutely horrible. The only one in OAR, as far as I know, is the recently released R2 edition, though it's a far from perfect transfer. Are you multi-region enabled ?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm a huge fan of the film. I recommend this version at this point...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It's still p&s but the color is much better. The sound is awful. The levels are fine but it sounds as if it is warped especially during the musical moments.

I've heard the new R2 widescreen version is the best overall. If the R1 version of that one doesn't get here I'll buy the R2 and see for myself.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Does anyone know how this 1972 production became public domain? Seems odd for something so recent.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
It probably isn't public domain, rather it's probably an orphan. The production company made three films listed in imdb in 1971-72. It probably went "out of business" and the rights to the films is in receivership. Since negatives carry tremendous entanglements as to re-run, residual, music, etc. the current owner may not be interested in preparing it for a commercial release and may not have the funds or desire to go after any company that does.

That's only a guess, but that's why people have to hire lawyers and and copyright research to clear a title before going into distribution.

I've worked on films that I doubt will ever show up since they're encumbered in legal liens, music rights clearances or various unpaid bills and payrolls which all would have to be settled before the film could be released to any venue.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks