What's new

Alan Moore's Watchman : Darren Aronofsky (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Superherohype just posted the above.

http://www.superherohype.com/index.php?id=1776[/url]

Sounds like it's a done deal. Seeing as Gilliam couldn't get his head around, Aronofsky might be the best person to tackle this. He's no stranger to dark stories, and his style should help shape the tone of the movie.

It well never match the book, Gilliam quoted Alan Moore in response to being asked on how he would adapt the book into a film, Moore's respone "I wouldn't".

We can probly forget about the Black Freighter stuff, so that they can concentrate on the super heros. CGI for Rorshachs mask?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Beyond the political nature of the ending, this is a story that was very much tied to its medium. I don't think it would work well as a movie. How are you going to do the parallel pirate storyline in a movie, for instance?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm sure they'll drop the pirates to concentraite on the corruption of power, and the morallity of good stuff that the super hero side deals with. Then again, if anyone can weave distinctly different story lines together, I'm thinking someone ballsy like Aronofsky can do it, granted, it would take someone just as ballsy to give him the money to do it.

Man, it'd be cool to see the pirate stuff! (I'll take off my EC fan-addict pin now :b )

EricW

Senior HTF Member
they'll drop alot of stuff and change alot of stuff. i have no problem with that as long as the movie is good. i'd imagine they'd change the

dead alien

thing and change it to something more realistic. they'll probably keep all the inter-character relationships and personalities (for the characters they don't drop of course)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can they fit it all in in a 2 to 2.5 hour film? What's going to be tough about adapting this story to film is that the story plays around with the flaws of "heroic" characters and it was more about the comic medium/motifs than something easily accessible by the non-comic-reading audience. It plays around with the expectations of super-hero genre for the reader of this 12-issue maxi-series.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
That was kind of my point. It's not just that the story used stylistic conventions that don't work outside comics: It's about comics. The movie medium isnt and never will be intertwined with super-heoes the way comics are. The whole story pre-supposes a great deal of familiariaty with super-hero conventions that I don't think movie audiences have. I may be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see how this could work as a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks