What's new

Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1 Viewer)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
If I recall correctly, the German soundtrack is in 5.1 only. Otherwise, a really nice disk with a good commentary from Herzog.

Mark

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Great disc. Brilliant movie. Great transfer (considering the source material). My disc still works, but supposedly a large % of these fail/rot/whatever (somewhat typical of Anchor Bay).

Get it anyway as they are very good about replacing things (and now claim all of their "rot" problems are behind them.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is a nice disc--the film is full frame, apparently Herzog's desired AR. And the framing seems fine to me, as do the video and sound quality, esp the German 5.1 track. The commentary track is a real treat--Herzog never stops talking and offers tons of great info about the arduous production and of course plenty of stories about Kinski. Just as Aguirre and Apocalypse Now comprise a great existentialist double feature, this commentary and Hearts of Darkness-A Filmmaker's Apocalypse would make a nice double bill for anyone who wants to see just how far some people will go to make a movie.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yep, a very nice disc. If you like this movie, I'm going to recommend Stephen Minta's book Aguirre. Part travelogue and part history book, Minta explores the real Lope de Aguirre and the events surrounding his mutiny. Fascinating stuff and it's interesting to see the changes Herzog made to the story of the "mad conquistador".

At the hour of his death he could not bear the thought of her surviving to become, as he said in a memorable phrase, "a mere mattress for the unworthy."
- from Aguirre by Stephen Minta

Now, when is Anchor Bay going to release Where the Green Ants Dream?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's a real good disc, Luc. Not sure if you're that familiar with Herzog, but I'd also recommend "The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser" (which you may know as "Every Man for Himself and God Against All") and "Fitzcarraldo". Only "Kaspar Hauser" has the original audio track, but the remixes on the other discs are nicely done.

Luc D

Second Unit
Thanks everybody. I suppose I was going to pick up this disk no matter what, but it's still nice to know it's not a dud. Herzog is one of my favorite filmmakers and I'm glad the DVD has a commentary track as his are always very interesting and informative. :emoji_thumbsup:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Luc: be aware that on 7/9, Anchor Bay is releasing a "Herzog/Kinski" box set, featuring Aguirre, The Wrath Of God, Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht, Woyzeck, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, and the documentary My Best Fiend. If you don't have any of these films yet, I'd suggest going for that box.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks