What's new

Again the US market gets the Shaft as the Japanese Get the Goods... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Do what anime fans have been doing for years that's even easier

Just use the initial "J" so long as context has previously been established. I'm sure that you can go through the effort of typing "anese" once per thread.

Just because a racial slur isn't in common use doesn't mean it's any more OK

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Coming from someone who has traded in import games on the internet for around a decade, I've always found it best to use JPN if you must abbreviate.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
OK...can the P.C. talk stop so we can get back to talking about killing everything that moves? Damn...after reading this thread I need to play some GTA to clense myself. :)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I actually like the way this thread has turned out. I like it when people demonstrate concern and/or empathy for other people. I think that's great. I don't care if someone thinks it's "too PC." (Someone ALWAYS thinks something is "too PC" nowdays.) Why not be considerate of other people AND play GTA3?

But, anyway, getting back to the original topic of this thread, sort of ... What's Re-volt? Is it a port of that old remote controlled car racing game for the PC? (cough.) Because if it is, I actually thought THAT Re-volt was kind of rad ...

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
So I used the word Jap....would you like to know why, because I am LAZY and couldn't remember how to spell Japanese at 7:30-ish in the morning. To all of you who got "offended" I'm not sorry in the least bit, unless you are Japanese and then I am sorry, but if you are white it shouldn't matter to you. And I don't hate to say it, but all this PC bullshit is getting out of hand. But the truth is did I mean to offend people...NO!

Sure its nothing but a warmed over port of PSO I&II on the DC, but it will have voice chat in it! And everyone will be on broadband so we won't have to worry about all that terrible lag that the PSO had...I know this is a street date pick up game for me.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
So, its a warmed-over port of an old Dreamcast game or a warmed-over port of a Dreamcast game. Hmm, someone is clearly ripped off :rolleyes:
Come on, I know PSO is popular, and I'd like to try it some day, but there's nothing wrong with Re-Volt. The 'tag' mode is great multiplayer fun. More importantly, though, shouldn't Microsoft actually give us something that Dreamcast owners haven't already been enjoying for ages without the need of expensive broadband adaptors? I'm willing to guess that an entire bundle of a Dreamcast and both the original games isn't going to be any more than the price of this add-on.
After all, if Microsoft want to sell the public on the advantages of an expensive broadband-only solution, they should give us something that exploits that. Having to put up with teenagers whining in my ears while I hand them their asses on multiplayer isn't really enough of a step up.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
So if you don't mean to offend someone, but do anyway, it's okay? The appropriate response when you accidently offend someone is to apologize and move on. Not make excuses and get defensive.
This thread certainly has been enlightening... You think you know people... :frowning:

James Zos

Supporting Actor
QUOTE:

"if you are white it shouldn't matter to you."

What the hell? If you are white you shouldn't care when someone uses a racial slur? Why? Because it isn't directed at "your" race? That's kind of twisted, Kelley_B. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before - but that's just messed up.

QUOTE:

"To all of you who got "offended" I'm not sorry in the least bit."

WHO are you talking to here? Did you even READ this thread?
Maybe you did and then you got hit over the head and forgot everything you had just read. Go back and read it again.
If you do you'll see that those who responded to your use of the word "Jap" - Joel Mack, myself, others - did not act "offended." If anything, I'd say we were very POLITE about it. ("I'm sure you probably didn't mean anything by it," etc.) All we did was to point out that, whether you were AWARE of it or not, the word has long been used in an explicitly racist manner, even if you didn't mean it that way. While I might not be personally offended by it, I have Japanese and Asian friends who might be. And yes, I do care about that - even though I'm white.
If anyone is acting offended here - I'd say it was you. And that's ironic - but predictable too. Those who are quickest to accuse others of being too sensitive, of being "PC," are often rather "sensitive" individuals themselves - at least when it comes to their own feelings.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
This thread has gone so far away from its original intent that I honestly don't see this going anywhere.

Come on guys, lets get back to topic here. Leave the racial discussions for personal email.

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
So, back on topic...have they announced that PSO will even be released in the States? I can see Sega convincing MS to only release it in Japan and then maybe release it in the US sometime in 2003.

If they are releasing PSO in the US, would we only be able to play in a US server as we couldn't "voice chat" with Japanese players?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
So, back on topic...have they announced that PSO will even be released in the States? I can see Sega convincing MS to only release it in Japan and then maybe release it in the US sometime in 2003.
Im pretty certain Sega has a US release in mind. Not sure of the compatibility with Japanese gamers but I have no doubt we'll get the game here.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if any of you got the wrong impression about me....I'm not a racist, biggot, or whatever else you might think now. Two of my closest friends are Asian.

Sure my second post was a bit off the mark in its meaning. Let me just say that I wasn't offended by any of you who tried to point it out that the word J*p is improper. But if any of you think that I hate the Japanese, you are so wrong....

James D S

Screenwriter
I'm not a racist, biggot, or whatever else you might think now. Two of my closest friends are Asian.
It's a shame you have to even explain yourself. Why can't we just talk about the games instead of giving everyone a lecture on being PC. So he said "Jap," big deal. Everyone knows Kelley didn't mean anything by it, It's Kelley! Everyone should eat more bran, it will help keep you regular.

Aren't we all friends here?

"Give me those stones, you don't know how to use them!"

I would rather see PSO as a pack-in but I think it makes more marketing sense to include Re-Volt. Afterall, we all going to go out and buy PSO whereas we wouldn't in the same numbers with Re-Volt.

In Japan, a PSO pack-in could mean the difference between success and failure. In America, just having PSO available could prove enough to get Live off the ground and flying. Though I think it already has enough tricks in the bag without PSO. The line-up is looking rather sweet, if I do say so myself. The fall can't come quick enough.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Considering that the original PSO made one big happy family, I'm hoping that we retain the same. That would be a HUGE thing for Asians, considering how "in" English is there. They would finally have a way to cheaply practice their English with native speakers

That would sell a lot of X-Boxen, especially in Japan and Korea

James Zos

Supporting Actor

"It's a shame you have to even explain yourself."

One last time, for James D S and anybody else who STILL doesn't get this (sigh).

No one posting in this thread EVER said Kelley_B was a racist. I don't know WHY you persist in pretending otherwise (or posting about it, thus keeping a topic going you claim should not exist in the first place!)
Read the thread and it is clear from the responses that it is the term ITSELF people are commenting on, NOT Kelley_B (at least not until he made his SECOND post, which he has retracted, somewhat, so lets just leave THAT one alone).
He is not a racist, but he used a racist TERM, unknowingly. Most people assumed this from the begining - so he has nothing to "explain" in the first place.
To the contrary: it is the other way around. Some people politely explained to him that the term he used does in fact have racist connotations, whether he MEANT it to or not - and that's it. END OF STORY.

Or it WOULD have been, if other people didn't start whining, "P.C. this, P.C. that, bla bla bla," and using insults - "Sphincters a bit too tight..." etc.
How much simpler do I need to make this, James D S?
If you use a racist TERM unknowingly, it is still a racist term, no matter what your INTENT.
For instance - to make it even SIMPLER for you - if I say "TV" and I meant "potato," the word "TV" doesn't suddenly mean "potato" - just because that is what I MEANT. Understand?
Of course it matters that Kelley_B wasn't deliberately trying to offend anyone. And - for the last time - no one EVER SAID THAT HE WAS. We were just talking about what that TERM meant.

If you still don't get it, I don't know how else to explain it to you.

QUOTE:

"Everyone should eat more bran, it will help keep you regular."

You seem to have an anal fixation going here, James D S. I'm not trying to judge you, man. Whatever you are into - hey, that's okay. But I think you might find more satisfaction posting about such things in a forum with more like-minded-people. The AnalFixationForum, maybe?

Anybody who wants to whine about the world being too P.C., or post that Kelley_B shouldn't have to explain that he's not a racist, or whatever, bla bla bla, I'll leave you to it, just go right ahead. I've said what I had to say.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually shocked that Halo online won't be their pack in game (but I guess it makes sense, since a lot of people would buy it anyway). Was PSO really that good? Honestly, I couldn't care less about any of the MMORPGs, and know nothing about the Phantasy star series (since I was an FF kid). Looking forward to the GBA compilation though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks