What's new

AFI 100 Update (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Aside from the upcoming ET August/November release does anyone know why we are not hearing about the other 2002 AFI 100 release schedule? Titles like:

- Bringing Up Baby

- Treasures of the Sierra Madre

- Schindler's List

- Sunset Boulevard

The above had been rumored for 2002 realease but I'm not sure what the status is of:

- Grapes of Wrath

- African Queen

- Raiders

- King Kong

- Yankee Doodle Dandy

- The Jazz Singer (1927)

- Mutiny on the Bounty

- Giant

I'm already familiar with the reasons for not expecting Star Wars this year and probably not for the next couple of years...

Joel

Matthew_S

Second Unit
You may know this but The Digital Bits keeps a pretty good running list of the AFI 100 list on dvd on their site. I think you can access it from the main page, if it's not on the main page.
-I just checked, the link is HERE

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

I'm aware of the Digital Bits monitoring but their information on the the titles in question are restricted (being worked) or (not being worked). I don't believe there is any word on specific dates (other than ET), even rumors...

Joel

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
There aren't firm dates for any of the titles, only rumors. The firmest info is that King Kong is undergoing digital restoration by the same group who did Citizen Kane and North By Northwest. It will likely be out next year for the 70th anniversary.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I thought I remembered reading that Schindler's List might still make it this year, but my gut feeling is that it is more likely to be released next year.

As far as Raiders of the Lost Ark, well, who the hell knows. While some sourced say it's still coming later this year, my gut feeling on this one is that after Episode II's DVD is finished off, they'll finish off and release Raiders in 2003.

Regards,

Dan

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post. My question is that after a flurry of releases in 2001 and a promising list of likely releases from the list in 2002, we are in May with only ET as a clear release during the remainder of the year. Have all others 'slipped' to 2003 and beyond? If that is the case 2002 will prove to be short on the rapid DVD release pace set in 2001 and I question if we will ever see that rapid a release shedule again.

I don't altogether mind since my wallet could use the break, but I wonder if we will ever see more than 90% of the list fulfilled before the next generation of HD-DVD technologies becomes available and there will no longer be any point in bringing out these classics. This would include Star Wars and a couple of others that many have been waiting for since 1997.

Joel

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
There are good chances of seeing a Sunset Boulevard DVD from Paramount this year. This has been confirmed by Martin Blythe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks