What's new

Advice On This Low Budget (but quality) Sound System? (1 Viewer)

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
I am making plans for a home theater on a budget. I want to pick lower priced components but still have quality. Of course, this will require some compromise. My plan is to go with smaller speakers with a less powerful (but cleaner) amp as opposed to a booming, yet muddy sound.
To start with, I already own a pair of Paradigm Mini Mk-3 speakers which I will use as the front speakers.
What do you think of adding 2 Paradigm Cinema surrounds, a Cinema CC center and a PDR-8 powered subwoofer? Also, what receiver would you recommend to go with this (I have been pleased with Onkyo in the past).
What price am I looking at for all of this? Should I be considering a "home theater in a box" solution such as the Kenwood HTB-504 or the Onkyo HT-s490? If so, how would I incorporate my Paradigm Mini Mk-3s?
Thanks!!
-Brent

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not a huge fan of HTIBs, but some of them are not bad for the price. The Sony's seem to have the better of the subs, which would be a large factor in my decision. Look for a sub that can do at least 25Hz or you are wasting your money (you can always add a better sub though). The real problem with these systems is lack of some upgradability and they tend to be seriously underpowered.
You could use the Paradigms you already have as the mains instead of what comes with a system, but they will not be voice matched to the rest of the speakers.
I prefer Marantz for receiver, but Denon and Onkyo and Sony ES are great choices also. From Denon, I'd say the 1802 or 2802. Onkyo - TX-DS595 or -696. From Marantz SR-6200 or -5200. Have a listen to as many as you can.
You didn't give a price range, so I can't make a fair recommendation. On a budget, Sony DB series is a good choice.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Paradigms are good speakers. I would match the center and surrounds with what you have right now as close as possible. As far as the sub goes, PSB makes some real good subs for a very reasonable price. I am also sold on Marantz. I have owned many receivers and love the sound of Marantz. You should look at the new 4200, 5200 and 6200. Good luck.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If your on a tight budget, drop the surrounds, get a matching center, a quality receiver, and a better sub. You can add the surrounds later when you have more $$$. BTW, forget an 8" sub. Your mini's will probably go just as low.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Jeff, I say ditch the center and get surrounds instead.
(with this kind of stuff, you ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers!)
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks