What's new

Advice on speakers for a newbie (1 Viewer)

Al Tank

Auditioning
I just bought a Denon Avr 1802 and was looking to buy a set of speakers(Mains, Center, etc.) for under $1000. I would probably use them 80%movies and 20% music. I was thinking that I should just buy some towers and a Center speaker but I am really new to this so I would appreciate any advice. I'm trying to stay away from Subs-satellites packages though.

Please help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome.
For 80% movies, you will definitely want a sub. In which case, floorstanding mains may not be the best choice. I prefer floorstanders for music, but for HT bookshelf speakers can more than handle the job and are often less expensive.
Take a look at the offerings from Paradigm, and Axiom.

jay lemons

Agent
I went Monday and auditioned some Paradigm Mini Monitors and the Paradigm CC370 center. All I can say is WOW. They sounded great with music and movies. This will be my next setup. The Paradigm PW2200 sub was not bad either. As far as price goes, the Mini Monitors were priced at 279.00 a pair for version 3 and the CC370 was priced at 249.00. Not bad at all.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have Monitor 5s, Minis for surrounds and a CC170 (now waiting for a V3 CC370) and I am quite happy with this setup.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I won't build it up, but I'll just tell you what I have. :)
I have JBL Studio Series all around, with S26II's making up the mains and surrounds, an S-Center II for my center channel, and a PB10 handling the bass. It's a very nicely matched setup giving wonderful movie playback. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Everything shown here should be able to be had for right around a grand.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Long ago, I started out with floorstanders. But I soon realized I could get the same or better sound from bookshelf speakers combined with a good sub. I haven't looked back. If you're setup is primarily for HT, the bookshelf-sub combo makes the most sense.

However, if you intend on doing a good deal of two-channel listening, then quality floorstanders with a good sub is the way to go.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
I have the cc-370 v3, Monitor 7 v3 fronts, Mini Monitors for surround & PS-1000 sub. all I can say is that they sound GREAT :emoji_thumbsup: (pw-2200 is kinda of kill since I live in an apartment & that sub is kinda....huge)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I second Adams advice,

Buy
Four JBL S26 $ 350
JBL S center $ 150
SVS 25-31 PCi $ 500

Almost $1000 (except for shipping), and will be a very good set up (thats mine).

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks