What's new

Advice needed on a new video card. (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am using an Nvidia that has 32Mb of memory and no acceleration. For a while I have been contemplating replacing this card with a more up to date video card that has more memory and is faster. I do not want to spend hundreds on some super duper card though. I have an Intel PIII 933 IBM NetVista with 256Mb f ram and running WinXP if that matters any. I will be running a few games (a couple of which run slowly because of the card) and I do plays DVD's and do a lot of surfing on it.

What do you all recommend?

Thanks

KyleS

Screenwriter
Look at one of the nicer Nvida GForce2 cards like the Elsa Gladiac Gforce2 GTS or a GForce3 card like a leadtek. You can get them at great prices since the Gforce4 cards are out. The other option I would recommend if you dont want to get the greatest and fastest look into the Gforce4 mx cards like the 440 & 460's.

KyleS

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
avoid the geforce4 mx cards, as they are slower and less capable than a geforce3. a nice ati radeon 8500 or 9000 might fill the bill for you in the ~$100 range

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I saw an ATI Radeon today with 128Mb on it for cdn$130 although I think I can get it cheaper elsewhere. I may look into this card soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks