What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part II (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Kenshin OVA can be seen without the rest of the series, but I would note that the tone of the OVAs is far darker than the series. It is a prequel to the TV series.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
About CLAMP,

I made a mistake, there were originally 11 members that dwindled down to 7 and then down to 4.

Here are their names:

Nanase Ohkawa
Mokona Apapa
Mick Nekoi
Satsuki Igarashi
Tamayo Akiyama
Sei Nanao
Leeza Sei/Iba Takeo
Soushi Hisagi
Kazue Nakamori
Shinya Ohmi
O-Kyon

The first 4 names are still in CLAMP, the rest have left.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Jehan,
you lucky bastard :) I would give anything for one of those Bebop sets (hell, that is the reason I don't own them). I am still on the lookout for a good price (like the one you got). Off to eBAY I go! ;)
:D

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Rob I was negotiating with someone to buy an empty Bebop box (the 1000 or so that were offered on rightstuf) with a price of around $60. Now than I won this auction I don't need to go through with it, so if this sounds like a good deal I'll forward his email to you and you can take it up with him - it's apparently in excellent condition, but of course you'll have to get the DVDs yourself (but it'll probably be a hell of a lot cheaper than trying ebay).

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Although I don't recommend watching Rurouni Kenshin 1st OVA series w/o watching the TV series because it will spoil watching the TV series. What I mean is that the OVA series is very dark dramatic series, while the TV-series, comedic and fun sometimes, does turn darker in the Kyoto-arc of the storyline, but still retains some humor.
In addition, watch the movie of Rurouni Kenshin after the first arc. It will help you appreciate it much more later. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Jehan, I am going to have to turn ya down. The HUNT is half of the fun. The most fun was Spinal Tap: Criterion and the Army of Darkness: Director's Cut (which has been re-released as the Bootleg Cut, doh :) ) Plus I just know I will run into one of these sets gathering dust at an FYE, Suncoast, or Musicland someday. I just bid on a set for $120 on eBAY... we'll see what happens :D
Thanks anyways :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
You will definitely enjoy Serial Experiments Lain. The only reason people didn't like the ending is because they don't understand it. If you understand how the Japanese think, and their cultural psychology, it makes a whole lot of sense. It's the only way to appreciate the ending for what it is. I loved it.
kong - puh-leez expound! :) unfortunately, i probably fit into that category and would like to hear your take on it. i think it'll help me to understand it better next time i watch.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Although I don't recommend watching Rurouni Kenshin 1st OVA series w/o watching the TV series because it will spoil watching the TV series. What I mean is that the OVA series is very dark dramatic series, while the TV-series, comedic and fun sometimes, does turn darker in the Kyoto-arc of the storyline, but still retains some humor.
I don't understand what you are saying here.

If the show is a prequel, I assume it will not contain spoilers to the tv series.

I understand the the tone of the OVA when compared to the TV series is different, but why should that matter if I just want to watch the OVA and then decide in the future if I want to splurge and watch the TV series?

Andy

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Andy:
Because the OVA's give away a lot of the mystery of Kenshin's character, that is not revealed in the TV series until later on. It won't "spoil" the series for you, but many, MANY people will tell you to watch the OVA's after at least you watch up to Kyoto arc.
For the record, I watched the OVA's before I ever saw a single TV episode, and was still completely blown away. Once again (:D ), check out my site to read my full review, but suffice to say, it is one of my favorite releases of all time. If you don't want to get sucked into the monetary blackhole that is the Kenshin TV series, then just go ahead and get the OVA's. Either way, you won't regret buying this show.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Ok, I know this isn't the thread to be asking this, but what the hell is going on with my post count? That's the second time in as many weeks that it's dropped 50+ posts at one time. It can't be that they closed one or two threads I posted in, because this is the only thread that I am, or have ever, posted in that frequently. It's not THAT big of a deal, but it's baffling nonetheless.
I think somebody out there is afraid of me hitting 1300 posts for some reason :) Everytime I get close...BAM, I'm back down to 1200. What the mother f is going on?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
joe - i know you're not the only one who has ever experienced the dreaded thread-count-drop! i've seen threads in the feedback section on this. i don't think the mods ever figured out what was going on though. may want to let them know somethin's up!
i just gotta make it to 2001 so i can let jack briggs know! :)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Joe, Ted:
It's a conspiracy, I tell you :)
Anyway, I just rewatched Cowboy Bebop for the nth time, and the ending continues to be one of the best I've ever seen. In fact, the whole last disk is probably the best in the series, with the possible exception of the last two episodes on disk 3.
John.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I can't agree with you more there John. It's so powerful and emotionally chilling. I get shivers and goosebumps when Spike hops in the Swordfish to go after Vicious, with the remixed "Real Folk Blues" playing in the background.
----------------
Ted:
Yeah, I figured that there had to be more people out there who experienced the same thing. And here I was, on my way to becoming a "somebody" around here...
----------------
For those who are collecting Gasaraki, ADV Films will be doing a Paul Champagne design Gasaraki tin box a la Evangelion. Pictures can be found here. (Pics of box is on 6th page).
Oh shit. I creamed my pants when I saw that! I also like the picture of DLW and some other dude from ADV (I love acronyms) wearing the "Jerry Chu is my bitch" shirts at Bandai's panel :laugh: Hey by the way Kong, didn't you go to Irvine with Mr. Chu?
Seeing all those pictures there made me miss AX2002 even more...damn I hate not having any money anymore.
*EDIT* And I do know those pics are from Otakon, I was just referring to the only con I would have reasonably been able to attend.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
That box for Gasaraki looks awesome, I am torn whether to get that and fill it with episodes or wait for the impending box set by ADV (knowing them it will be similar to EVA with no extras and so forth). Probably cheaper to go the second route but boy it looks nice.

As an aside, for those who have the Bebop Box Set (LE), did every copy come with OST soundtrack #1? I heard that some runs didn't have the soundtrack which is probably a lie. The one I got from ebay doesn't have the CD, which is a little perplexing but for the price I paid I'm not too worried - plus I have the lovely CD Box that came out a few weeks ago with all 4 soundtracks. Still curious though.

btw great site Joe, I finally got to doing some in-depth reading of your reviews over the weekend.. good stuff!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
jehan - my bebop set DID come with OST #1. unfortunately i have yet to listen to it. heck....i think it's still sealed. :eek:

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
For anyone who has wanted JUST the Escaflowne art box, then quickly get your ass to RightStuf and buy it NOW.
I was just checking out Chris' site a few minutes ago, and saw that RightStuf somehow acquired like 1750 more boxes. I immediately bought mine (holy shit was I relieved), and came here to let the rest of you know. They are literally going by the minute, and will probably all be gone by tonight.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
That box for Gasaraki looks awesome, I am torn whether to get that and fill it with episodes or wait for the impending box set by ADV (knowing them it will be similar to EVA with no extras and so forth). Probably cheaper to go the second route but boy it looks nice.
If I were you (and we both know I'm obviously not), I would buy the regular boxset for what it's available for right now ($100-110) and just sell that box on eBay or somewhere else if you want the Paul Champagne box.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Andy Bu:
Most people, after watching the OVA's first, have a hard time getting into the TV series because 1) tone is different, 2) Kenshin's personaility is different, 3) TV series is longer and less, and 4) less bloodshed.
In the TV series, Kaoru, who grows to love Kenshin, wonders where Kenshin received his scars and Kenshin replies to a degree a little info about his past when he used to be an assassin (hitokiri) before he renounced his killing ways for a more peaceful time. His past is gradually revealed through the first arc and the second arc in the TV series. So, if you watch the OVAs first, most of the surprise of his past would be spoiled and not as shocking as it would be if you didn't know about it.
Joe:
Tell me about posts. I've been on here since 1998 and I don't have the amount of posts as you youngin's. :) I'm just not as verbal. :D
Yes, Jerry Chu was our anime club president for 2 years. So he and I know each other really well. :D
JohnAD:
If I had time to rewatch Cowboy Bebop, I'd be sitting pretty. I am backlogged and swamped with other anime to watch. No time...no time... *sigh*

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Joe: I thought Gasaraki was out Aug 20th (the box set)? or am I mistaken and I can grab it now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks