What's new

Adding addition speakers to my 5.1 system (1 Viewer)

ThePresence

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I've got a surround sound 5.1 system in the basement. What i want to do is put 2 speakers upstairs off of a switch so i can play audio through the 5.1 reciever downstairs, and send it to the upstairs speakers. My problem is when i select the upstairs speakers on the switch (and deselect the front right and left downstairs which also run through the switch) , i'm still outputting sound to my centre and rear channels downstairs which i don't want. Is there a way around this with the equipment i've got or is there something else i need? Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, you left out what receiver you are using. It could make a big difference.

If your receiver has A-B switching capability, this would be the simplest way to do what you are asking. A being the main room, and B being the "other" speakers, allowing you to have on or the other on (and in some cases both, but generally not a good thing). The next would be a receiver with Zone 2 capabilty, which is similar, but allows you to listen to two different sources (stereo analog only in nearly all cases for zone 2) in each zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks