Adding addition speakers to my 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ThePresence, Sep 24, 2006.

1. ThePresence

ThePresence Auditioning

I've got a surround sound 5.1 system in the basement. What i want to do is put 2 speakers upstairs off of a switch so i can play audio through the 5.1 reciever downstairs, and send it to the upstairs speakers. My problem is when i select the upstairs speakers on the switch (and deselect the front right and left downstairs which also run through the switch) , i'm still outputting sound to my centre and rear channels downstairs which i don't want. Is there a way around this with the equipment i've got or is there something else i need? Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ThePresence

ThePresence Auditioning

If i left some information out, please ask.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, you left out what receiver you are using. It could make a big difference.

If your receiver has A-B switching capability, this would be the simplest way to do what you are asking. A being the main room, and B being the "other" speakers, allowing you to have on or the other on (and in some cases both, but generally not a good thing). The next would be a receiver with Zone 2 capabilty, which is similar, but allows you to listen to two different sources (stereo analog only in nearly all cases for zone 2) in each zone.

4. ThePresence

ThePresence Auditioning

My receiver does not have A-B speaker hookups.