What's new

Ad Aware users: I need your help/advice (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
For the past couple of weeks I've had several problems with IE5.5, computer freezes up for no reason while surfing, error messages, and so on.

I haven't really changed anything in several months, and haven't downloaded anything in a while.

Anyway after reading stuff online, I've decided to upgrade to IE6 in hope of fixing things, defragged, scandisked, did a complete viruscan (no viruses found) and someone here mentioned Ad-Aware.

I just installed it and did a scan and it found 26 files with "spyware" from what I gather. My question is this, when presented with the whole list of files found, how do I know which ones are safe to delete, or which ones need to be excluded from the delete process?? Also, do I need to download a sister program along with Ad-Aware? if so, what do I need to do with it??

My first sweep, I did a backup first, then chose all the files to delete from my system.

I'm gonna see if anything changes tonight while surfing, but I'd like your opinion on the above questions.

Thanks in advance
Alfer

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
You can just take the name of each file on the list and type it into Yahoo. You will find info on what it is and if it's safe to delete.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Update:

Since I got home, I've been trying to use CNET's Download section of their site (to get ad-aware). So far, every single visit to that section of their site freezes up my internet session and I have to ctrl-alt-delete my way out (if I'm lucky that works)...

Why the hell does it do this?? It will also do this to our Yahoo Mail, but that's been random.

I can surf this site all night with no problems...

I am really stumped.

Alfer

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey Alf,
I use Ad-Aware. When it returns the list of "bad" items after its finished scanning I just delete them all. I've been doing that for about 6 months and have had no problems with that screwing things up.

As far as you random computer problems, I dont think it's something Ad-Aware can fix. I would seriously recomend a complete format of your hard disk. Sometimes computers just "freak out" and formatting can help. If you go that route make sure to back up any media that you dont want lost, especially things that cant be replaced like digital camera pictures. Also, make sure to look in the device manager and determine the make and model of you sound card and stuff like that so you can get drivers for it when your done.

Good Luck,
Marshall

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks for the help guys, I thought I was ok last night, but when I tried to shut down, it said I had a program running and did I want to close it or wait, I clicked end task and it froze me completely up..I had to use the dreaded power button to shut down for like the 6th time this week... :angry:
Since I have no idea how to do a full format, I'll have to recruit some friends in my IS Dept.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks