What's new
World Wide Stereo

Acurus vs. Parasound (1 Viewer)

BillSune

Agent
I'm debating between a new set of amps for my Polk LSi speaker system. I am looking at a five channel amp now with an addition of a 2 channel amp in the future to move into 7 channels. I am probably going to use a Denon AVR as a Pre/Pro because I like the features of the Denon for the price.

Acurus 125X5 vs. Parasound HCA-2205

Thanks,

Bill

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I just picked up a 2205. It really sounds good. Feels like there is no limit to the power. Im currently looking for the right prepro to match. You can not go wrong with the Parasound. FWIW, the Parasound seems to have a good warm feel for music and plenty of power for theater.

Acurus 125x5 vs Parasound 220x5

good luck-

Oregon?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I think you would do fine with either.

I agree with Tim, the Para is a little bit warmer and I have heard and read that the Acurus is a little brighter, more clinical if you get what I mean.
Plus, with Klipsch owning Mondail, Acurus. I would be curious as to what kind of support you'd get for it.

Would you be getting these used?

BillSune

Agent
hey,

Thanks for the info, yes i would be getting these used. I've been looking on audiogon if you know of anyone that is selling anything like these let me know so that i can contact them. Oregon, IL not Oregon the state. I think the parasound would be an overall better match for the polks if it is a warmer amp.

Thanks,

Bill

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Illinois? Forget it!

Just kidding.
There was a guy selling one for 1400.00 in the hardware for sale section. I'd trust him.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I would go for the Parasound 5 channel. I use a Parasound HCA-2003A(3-channel) and a HCA-2202II(2-channel) for my theater and love the power and sound. The Acurus only has 125 watts/channel and the Parasound has 220 watts/channel. Depending on your speakers efficiency rating you may need the power for clean loud sound.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
There was a guy selling one for 1400.00 in the hardware for sale section. I'd trust him.

Thanks chris, I guess your refering to me:D

The amp is mint and still for sale.

Bob

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as how comparing these two particular amps isn't really a fair comparison anyway... :)

Two more reasons to consider Acurus over Parasound:

1) If you go look at the reviews at audioreview.com http://www.audioreview.com/pscAmplif...4_1583crx.aspx , customer support seems to be an issue if you ever do have a problem with a Parasound amp.

2) Acurus amps were all made in the US. Parasound amps are made in Taiwan.

fwiw...

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Speaking from experience and working directly with Parasound on a problem, their customer support is and was amazing. Not to many places give you an emial response with a follow up phone call when you have a problem. This was just a few hours after I had emailed. And they took care of it.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Yes BobR I meant you.

I am not dogging Acurus at all, but if you took BobR up on that amp it would be a no brainer IMHO. Unless you don't need all that power and you aren't ever gonna upgrade. I'm sure the Acurus will drive them fine, but for me the Para. is almost a "never need another".

It's twice the power and then some and it was "Stereophiles' GTHT" "amp to beat".

I've heard it, used it, and liked it.

I don't think Acurus is even being made anymore. I think they (Klipsch) just makes Aragon.

But then again for $1400.00 you could almost get Outlaw seperates.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Tim- There were 2, not just 1, comments about poor support from them. That's a pretty high hit rate compared to other manufacturers. Maybe that has changed, but it certainly raised a question in my own mind when I was looking at Parasound, B&K, Rotel, Acurus, Outlaw, ATI, etc.

Bill- If you want an apples to apples comparison, you should give the Acurus A200x5 a look. It's a later generation than the 125x5, and obviously competes more on an even footing with the Parasound in terms of raw power.

But no matter what you choose, I don't think you can go wrong. Both Acurus (past tense) and Parasound (present tense) make good amps. But at this level of refinement, I believe it *is* the little things that matter most. :)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Within the classic Parasound amp line, the differences between the lower-end (ie, 1205) and higher-end (models rated with 220+ wpc: 2003, 2200II, 2205, 3500) are more than just watts: higher resistance parts, different output devices, different design, levels of Class A bias, etc. So if both the 1205 and 2205 were playing 10 watts, the 2205 would have lower distortion and sound a little different.

Now withing the classic Mondial line, the low end line was Acurus, and the high end line was Aragon. The Aragon models probably had similiar *enhancements*.

IMO, the Acurus 125x5 should be compared to the Parasound 1205A. The 2205 is better than both, and not just due to more watts.

btw, I'be bought about 10 Parasound amps, all used, and never had a problem with any of them.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Chris, Ill just have the buyer send you the check and you can take your cut and send me the rest:emoji_thumbsup: ;)

While your at it how about a little help with my Casablanca too!

Bob

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin - don't want to get in a pissing match with you, but you said there were a WHOLE 2 Comments? Thats a high hit rate? C'MON Kevin, your great reputation on this forum preceeds you. Your information is always right on. Dont make a statement like that. I was speaking from experience not forum discussion.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
John Curl who designs the parasound amps is a great amp builder. Don't really need to list some of the stuff he's built, just do a google search on his name... He knows what he's doing and Parasound's goals are to build amps with less of the really expensive exotic stuff that you don't really need or get much benefit from, but doesn't cut corners on the parts that are critical to great sound.

Anyhow, the parasound amps will never have the mystique and appeal of higher priced made in the USA amps, but it can certainly compete with them... They are made elsewhere because it's cheaper to make them there, they may not be as well built as amps built here in the US of A (not a statement, just a possibility), but the bottom line for us value minded shoppers is a great deal on a great amp.

After much research, I recently purchased two Parasound HCA 1500 amps off of Audiogon and have no regrets, I know it sounds cliche, but i'm really hearing details that I never heard before... I know for sure that the amps are no longer the bottleneck in my system. If I could have afforded to spend a little more money, I would have bought Bryston amps for their superior build quality, warranty, and sound, but c'est la vie.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Parasound amps are great. I really enjoyed having them. Alas, due to space considerations and the need to expand power to my other channels, I had to give them up. If you look at the internal specs on them, they are quite impressive. They are fabulous for movies given their THX Ultra cert and great for music. Not too forward but laid back in a sense though with great dynamics. I'm sure they are happy in their new home. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarinyanaka
Recent bookmarks