Acurus vs. Parasound advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone help me in choosing between these 2.They are both available at the same cost,but I can't listen to either of them on my own system as it will be a private sale.I already have a 5 channel Adcom so this amp will be for the mains which are Def-tech BP-10's.I listen to approx. 60% H.T. and 40% music.Any opinions or feedback would be a big help.

Thanx,Wayner

2. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

Which Acurus vs. which Parasound? I'm assuming you mean the ACT-3 (which I have and love, but will soon be trading in for an Aragon Stage One). Are you talking about the Parasound model 1800 (or something like that)? More info please....

For the record, the Acurus (if you get the version with Advanced Bass Management) is an excellent processor if you do NOT need component video switching (I don't). It is VERY good on 2-channel music.

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I think he's talking about Acurus and Parasound amps.

4. Wayne McRae

Sorry,Dumb-ass at work alert.The models are:Acurus A-200 and the Parasound HCA1500A 2 channel amps.My home theater is being distracted by my job[​IMG]

5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I only have experience with the Parasound 1500A, which I'm using in my system right now, driving a pair of Paradigm Studio 80s. It has power to spare and sounds great. From what I've read, the Adcom is somewhat bright, and so is the Acurus. So if you like the Adcom's sound you might be better served going with the Acurus, since the Parasound is generally considered to be warmer sounding. But once again I've never heard the Acurus, so take that with a massive block of salt.

6. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I'm using an Acurus A200x3 with B&W Nautilus mains/center now and I wouldn't characterize this amp as "bright". Something closer to "neutral" or "analytical". I'm certain the Parasound will sound rather warmer than the Acurus, with perhaps a bit less detail. I think this question might be better answered by someone who has personal experience with similar amps on these speakers. My own recent personal experience has taught me that speakers and the amps that drive them are very much synergistic.
    If the Def Techs are a bright speaker (pronounced highs) then I would go with the Parasound. If this speaker is neutral or warm, then I'd take the Acurus (and I did [​IMG]).

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

8. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

Oops, I guess I could have figured out the amp part from the first post. Though I still wouldn't know which amps....

That said, I do have the Parasound 1500a driving my surrounds (Vandersteen VSMs). I use a larger Parasound, the 2003a three-channel amp to drive my front three speakers. I love both amps, they have plenty of power to spare. I haven't heard the Acurus amps but obviously I like their equipment too, and I've heard good things about them.

I don't know if this matters or not, but Acurus is pretty much a "dead" brand right now. Mondial was bought by Klipsch, and Acurus has been shelved indefinitely to focus on the more upscale Aragon brand.

9. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I am familiar with your the DEF Tech's as well as listening to various Parasound and Acurus amps. I haven't heard them in combination though. My preference would be the Parasound since I admire the Acurus sound but enjoy Parasound. I don't know if the Parasound 10 year warranty applies on this particular amp, because they only implemented that a few years ago and I believe the 1500a has been around longer than that. However, I would check with the owner or Parasound. If it means anything to you, I would guess resale value would be higher on the Parasound as well since Acurus had a bunch of amps dumped on the market for a bargain once they got bought out.

10. Wayne McRae

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!! After hearing all of this I'm going to pick up the Parasound today.It turns out the seller is only 20 minutes from my house and he is willing to let me take it home for a 1/2 hour.The seller says it is in perfect shape and is asking $600.If I can get it for $500 am I doing O.K. for this amp.I believe it's a little over a year old.Thanks again.

Wayner

11. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I have Def Tech BP-30's and started out using a Parasound HCA1000A to drive them. I now use an Acurus A200X3 and have moved the Parasound to the rears. Contrary to most people's opinion, I found the Def Tech/Parasound combo to be extremely bright and harsh. The Acurus is much more neutral in my opinion.

-Dave

12. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

$500 is a very good price for the Parasound 1500A. I got mine from eBay for $495 shipped, and I'm sure mine isn't in nearly as good condition as the one you're looking at. Even if you end up not liking it you can pretty much recoup costs (or profit if you're lucky) by eBaying it.