What's new

Actual cinema speakers (1 Viewer)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
actually at my local theaters, the one with klipschs sound horrible but the theaters with jbl thx sound GREAT

AaronJB

Second Unit
I just got a pair of JBL S38IIs and I'm in love (Yes, I know they're not unbelievable/expensive speakers, but for someone on a budget, they're pure bliss)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Any theater I've ever been in has had JBL and they have ALWAYS sounded great. I also have JBL in my home theater. They ,by the way, also sound great.

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from LOTR movie. The ones I saw are EVs for the surrounds. Don't know what behind the screen though.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
probably EV, usually theaters contract out to only one company....electrovoice has some nice speakers too =)

MichaelSLB

Agent
I have to agree with Khoa... my local THX theaters with JBL
speakers sound the best. Simply phenomenal.

I always try to go to ONLY THX certified theaters, as I
find that they usually sound drastically better than non-
THX certified theaters. And they are almost always equipped
with JBL's, from what I've noticed so far.

Michael

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Umm did I read the specs right? The lowest the Klipsch subs hit is 34hz and the JBL's go down to 22hz.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Somewhere I read that JBL is in more theaters than anyone else. I know the theaters where I live has them.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Back in the 40s, 50s and 60s, the Altec-Lansing A7 "Voice of the Theater" was the legendary theater speaker. It was discontinued in the early 70s. Altec speakers and amps were pretty much the standard of the industry at that time.

Interestingly, Altec has just announced they are once again going to manufacture it for use in high-end home theaters. This speaker system just screams "theater" and I sure wish I had the means to have a big enough HT to house some of these.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/index.asp

In case you're not aware, the JBL speaker line was started by James B. Lansing. He was the Lansing in Altec-Lansing, and apparently they split up. The JBL speakers, after they split up, sounded very much like the Altecs.

Deane

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
I was a movie projectionist in a movie theatre and JBL speakers along with Crown amps are pretty much the standard in the mega-plexes these days. They usually have clusters of 18 inch JBL subs behind the screen etc.

I actually worked in a movie house that was mono and they had one huge (about the size of a fridge) Altec-Lansing speaker and as Deane mentioned their logo was "Voice of the Theater"

One other movie house that I worked in had Boson Acoustic A70Ts for surrounds. That movie house did an upgrade and I actually ended up with 4 of those A70Ts that I currently use as mains and rears in my HT. They sound great (at least to me anyway).

The surrounds and centres they use in movie houses aren't much different from the speakers that are used in home theatre...pretty much the same impendence and specs…

Cheers..John

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
at my local theater, AMC 30 at the block....they turned up the subs REALLY REALLY hot...during music passages at the beginning before the feature, you just heard boom boom boom it's really annoyying....luckily during the movie it doesn't sound like that....just pure earth shaking bass....=) oh yeah all JBL btw

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
OK:

-JBL Pro (JBL Pro) states that:

"...its easy to see why today more than three quarters of all cinema loudspeakers sold worldwide come from JBL Professional."

So they have 3/4 of the market share. That statement has been on their site for years, and I have never heard that statement being attacked.

-Klipsch (Klipsch Cinema)

Looks like nice stuff, but they have only recently started to break into the real high-end market from what I have seen.

-EAW (EAW)

These guys make a ton of different stuff. They have some funny jokes and stuff on their site.

-EV (EV)

They too make lots of stuff.

Thats about all I know of. JBL Pro really is the Microsoft of the cinema world.

I own a 4648A-8 cinema bass cab and when I needed help with it, they did not screw around. These guys know the trade and actually help you. I would gladly do business with them again.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
*cough* $4300 EACH for those Altec voice of the theater speakers. That's quite a chunk of change, even for a nice horn speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks