What's new

Acoustic Research PS2062 Review (1 Viewer)

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind I am not an 'audiophile', just a guy with two kids and a wife who happens to really like listening to music and decided to start building a HT one piece at a time.

I've had a pair of PS2062s for about a week now. A Dennon 1802 provides the power, and a vintage Sony CD player (bought in the 80s) is the source. Highs are crisp and mids seem very accurate. The lows are good, but at times I wonder if they're a bit boomy. I may experiment with speaker stands, spikes, and/or heavy objects to try to tighten the bass a little.

For a pair of speakers I had delivered to the door for ~$140, they are great. Especially when compared to the pair of Bose 141's I was previously using.

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The previous review was based on listening immediately after the speakers were de-crated. I would no longer characterize the Bass as boomy.

RyanStandley

Auditioning
Got a pair of 2062's myself a couple of weeks ago, along with a set of 2052's for rears and a psc25 center. I'm powering them with a Yamaha HTR 5460 and am quite pleased with the way they sound. Putting them on some home brewed stands and moving them away from the walls by about a foot has done wonders for the sound. Any way, just wanted to add my .02 and let Mr. Smith know he's not alone.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I have PS216's in the rear (surround) and I had a PSC25

Center. The performance series is "okay" for the money

but when I replaced the center with the Hi Res AR2C well

there is no comparison. I run Hi Res AR9 mains and I may

eventualy even change the surrounds over to the AR15's.

The PS Series for the money is a great buy. But they didn't

do for me what the Hi Res line does.

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Brett:

I would certaily hope that the AR9's sounded a lot better than the 216s. But it should be pointed out that you're comparing a $500 floor-standing main speaker to a $100 bookshelf speaker.

I beleive the 216 is the previous generation of the performance series. I wonder how the 2062 sounds when compared to the 216, it has a little bit lower reach.

It would also be interesting to make a comparison between the 15 (a $190 bookshelf) and the 2062 and/or 216. I have read that there are a number of very favorable reviews of the 15.

Anyhow, I'm sure you're right. The performance series is about bang for the buck, not top end audio. When I look at my options in the

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ten,

Though to be fair and unbiased, some people would prefer

the PS's laid back top end. The Poly Tweets are smoother

than Titanium. Not everyone likes that in your face sound

that most metallic domes give off. The bass end of the PS

is fine. I just wasn't thrilled with the top end of the

spectrum.

Also to be fair the Hi Res Series is even more than the

prices you quoted. Retail figures (which most buyers pay)

are substantialy higher. The AR9's retail at $1000.00 a pair.

The 15's retail close to $400.00 a pair. I wouldn't pay

those prices though. To me even the Hi Res series is a

tremendous bang for the buck if you do some careful shopping.

All in all AR does not get the respect that they have earned

and deserve. I believe that they make a very great product

and thier support is even very helpful.

Good review by the way!

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, thank you. I agree with you. I bought used ARs when I was in college back in the 80s and they were great. But I was hesitant to get this pair given the complete lack of reviews or comments on them. Now I'm glad I did. And you are right about the pricing, I was taking that all off the A4L site, which is significantly below retail. I was wondering what the difference between the Titanium and poly tweeters was, so thank you for your description. I was thinking the titanium might also be more durable.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ten,
Durability and tweeters don't belong in the same sentance :)
Any tweeter can last forever and the same tweeters can
easily be blown by overdriving them and clipping. Assuming
the poly and ti tweets have similar power handling they will
each be as durable as the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks